83 351W: way to check fuel pump eccentric?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Bronco Billy
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
83 351W: way to check fuel pump eccentric?

I'm trying to get fuel to the carb on my tired 83 Bronco, which has been sitting a couple years. I well siphoned the old fuel, blew out the lines, and put $15 in fresh fuel in the tank; removed and cleaned up carb, and put a juice bottle in it's place to verify the fuel supplied is clean...

No fuel - put $10 more fuel in the tank, just to rule that out... no fuel.

Installed a new fuel pump from NAPA: no fuel. Put an intake line straight to the fuel pump from a gas can on the ground: no fuel.

Removed the new fuel pump... and that's where I'm at. Actually, with a mirror, flashlight, and screwdriver, I felt the eccentric cam, and noticed I could turn it: then researched and found out it's a 2-piece, which means I should be able to turn it, correct?

The new pump should be able to quickly lift fuel from ground level, is that correct?

I found this thread:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...c-on-351w.html

Is there a way to SAFELY check the eccentric without tearing everything apart? She's actually a very tired old rig I'm needing to find a new home for: either an interested party for parts or project, or fodder for the wrecking yard - I figure if I can get her running, better odds of selling for at least a little cash. (ie: I'm not going to tear the timing cover off)

Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You're correct that it's got a two piece eccentric. You may have inadvertantly installed the pump the first time, with the pump lever on the wrong side of the eccentric. Try installing it again nad make sure the lever is under the eccentric. While you have the pump off, check the timing chain for excessive slack. If your engine has the old nylon coated cam gear, now's a good time to change that out. Could be the nylon teeth are missing from the gear (if that's what it is) preventing the cam gear from turning.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
No fuel delivery

Remove the fuel pump and ground the coil wire so the engine can't start. Reach in with a Popsicle stick as if it were the fuel pump arm and press against the eccentric. Have someone crank the engine and see if the stick is pushed up and down as it's supposed to.

To test the fuel pump attach a couple feet of hose or tubing to its intake connection and put this in a pail of fuel. Work the lever by hand (it takes a fair bit of effort) and see if fuel is pumped through. It should come through after half a dozen full strokes.

Last edited by Beanscoot; 09-13-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Reply was for another post.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Bronco Billy
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, had the wife crank while I held a large flat screwdriver in against the cam (actually, I stood a 2' piece of firewood on the screwdriver handle to keep my fingers clear in case the screwdriver bound or something). Cam just fine... double checked new pump as described - it works fine...

Re-installed the fuel pump, replaced feeder line with new hose... STILL no fuel delivery.

So I manned up, and climbed under, replaced both sections of fuel hose (one along the frame, and one at the tank top) (bitch), and Yippeee! Fuel to the carb! So, even though the fuel hoses showed no visual signs of leaking, they in fact leaked enough air so as to not allow the suction of the fuel pump to retrieve fuel from the tank.

Thanks for the help - she's now "turn key", out of the pasture, and out for sale

She's been a good friend for 24 years.