6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

K&N Reusable Stainless Steel Oil Filter

Old 09-10-2014, 06:33 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
K&N Reusable Stainless Steel Oil Filter

Bought one and installed it on the X. Normal K&N quality except for the cap O ring. The O ring diameter decreases, thus, it is too small when stretched to fit the cap O ring groove. Mine leaked. Thought I had a real problem at first. Got a new OEM cap and O ring and no leak. Sent K&N an email about my O ring experience. The response so far is they are investigating.

I have K&N stainless steel reusable oil filters on my Super Bee, ZO6 and Sonic go fast boat. Have experienced no problems and have found no metal shavings or particles attached to the magnets. Easy to clean with a good detergent degreaser like Purple Stuff and hot water. K&N highly recommends not to use carb or brake cleaner, to protect the lower O ring in the 6.0L filter cartridge.

Ed

Old 09-10-2014, 07:32 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
For $284, no thanks, spend too much time cleaning those on airplanes. The joke is they only catch part numbers. Be careful with your oil change intervals.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jsm180
For $284, no thanks, spend too much time cleaning those on airplanes. The joke is they only catch part numbers. Be careful with your oil change intervals.
And the reason they use them on airplanes vice paper filters is.........

Ed

Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMMH
And the reason they use them on airplanes vice paper filters is.........

Ed
70 years ago that was the best they had. Most modern aircraft today use a spin on filter similar to the automotive style. There are also kits to convert the rock crusher screen equipped engines to spin-on or remote spin-on filters.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:59 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's see, 284 dollars / ~ 20 dollars a filter = about 15 filters. 15 filters x 5,000 miles = 75,000 miles. I guess for those people who drive the **** out of the truck it could be worth it, but for me I highly doubt I'll put that many miles on my truck in the next 5 years. Haha Besides, I don't want to clean a filter every oil change.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Runky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In military aircraft (jets) the metal filters are called strainers and changed on an interval as part of a planned maintenance system. My thought is that paper isn't used as much because of the higher operating temps.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Runky
In military aircraft (jets) the metal filters are called strainers and changed on an interval as part of a planned maintenance system. My thought is that paper isn't used as much because of the higher operating temps.
With a jet engine you just don't get the crap into the oil system like you do
in a reciprocating engine. If they happen to come apart they get a full cleaning.
Most aircraft engines run in the ideal range most of the time unlike automotive
engines that ramp up and down. By doing that they make a lot of combustion
byproducts that end up in the oil. And also with ALL aircraft engines you have a TBO
(Time Between Overhaul) that is not nearly as long as you would see with any car
or lawn mower.

Sean

Old 09-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Runky
Senior User
My experience is based on modular jet engines that see years worth of flight time/operating time before combustion section overhaul. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Runky
Senior User
What micron is the K&N?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:34 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
What micron is the K&N?
Thers is no micron value stated. It is, as you say, a strainer. The first stop for the oil out of the LP oil pump is the filter, then the cooler and then to the engine. If something fails and starts chunking, the oil filter is useless. To make the oil filter effective, it would have to be placed between the oil pump inlet screen and the oil pump. However, that is costly and could potentially starve the oil pump unless equipped with a bypass valve. Also, most oil filters and oil filter housings have bypass valves in them in the event the filter becomes clogged between the oil pump and the engine. Therefore, you could be driving around at the end of an oil change cycle with no protection at all. So why have a filter?

I got the K&N because it reduces the pressure drop across the oil filter (more flow and reduces heat) as it becomes clogged and it has magnets in it and on the exterior to catch any small metal particles. This can give you an indication that something may be failing as you learn how to read the K&N filter/strainer. I assume 99% of 6.0 owners never look at the paper cartridge for signs of metal particles. K&N has recognized that paper oil filters are inefficient at cleaning oil since you remove a dirty filter and oil and they present a flow restriction as they become clogged. Therefore, a metal strainer is a more efficient oil filtering medium then paper regarding oil flow. The days of the paper oil filter are limited.

Ed

Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Runky
Senior User
The fact that magnets don't pick up all particles is why I'm a little suspicious of the metal filter/strainer. Yes they do increase flow but could that result in an increase in oil temps because it flows faster through the cooler? (just like a bypass) I searched the internet and couldn't find any long term info on it.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
The fact that magnets don't pick up all particles is why I'm a little suspicious of the metal filter/strainer. Yes they do increase flow but could that result in an increase in oil temps because it flows faster through the cooler? (just like a bypass) I searched the internet and couldn't find any long term info on it.
I not worried about normal wear small particles. Like I said when a filter goes in bypass mode, everything flows through the engine. Oil flowing fast through an engine is a good thing. Oil acts as both a coolant and lubricant. It removes heat from the engine. When I got my ZO6, I contacted Royal Purple about what oil to use. I initially changed the oil using RP 15W-40 since that is all I had and in '06 RP was not as readily available as it is today. RP recommended that I use the 5W-30 or a 5W-20 or their Racing 21 oil because the oil circulates through the motor faster and this removes more heat.

I just built a BBC 540 Stroker motor for my go fast boat. Added a 10-quart ocean racing double baffled oil pan and a large capacity oil cooler. I'm using 5W-20 oil. My oil temps run between 120°F to 140°F. With the stock BBC standard 7 quart oil pan and standard oil cooler they ran between 275°F to 300°F. Did the initial 540 breakin with Royal Purple breakin oil. Per CNC MotorSports direction, the short block manufacturer, I ran two 30 minute cycles at 2500 rpm replacing the filter each cycle. Cut the filters open and saw a few very small metal particles. That is what CNC said I could expect. Am now doing the 10 hour breakin with non synthetic oil and a K&N reuseable oil filter.

Good discussion!

Ed

Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Cooling of any fluid depends on dwell time.The shorter it is
the less heat that will be transferred to the other surfaces.

Also when you not worried about small particles you should be.
The injectors are a hydraulic type and have spool valves that are
tight clearances. The Small particles that get past the strainer can
and will accelerated wear or the tight clearance items and that
is not limited to just the injectors. Put that stuff under heavy
loads and look at the cam,lifter interface. You will see it there.
The last place that people worry about and it should be the first
is the piston cooling jets. Plug one up and your going to be in HURT CITY
very soon do to piston over heating.

Your truck take the risks that you want.

Sean

Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you post a picture of your K&N set up? , I always heard bad JuJu about this and our Turbo's and oil, it lets in too much debris for my likein.