Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Amatuer Restorer

gfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to all
Car Hauler Winch Battery

Getting ready to install a 9.5Klb winch on my car hauler. Going to mount it on a hitch mount receiver welded to tongue to make it removable and to hitch mount to my truck.
1) Will the stock 7 pin wiring charge the battery?
2) I'm concerned that the winch will overload the stock truck wiring when in use. Should I disconnect the trailer plug when using the winch?
3) Figuring on a 700CCA deep cycle marine battery. I can fully charge battery once home with my large charger. Any thoughts or opinions? Cost of wiring the truck would be another $175-$200 that I'd rather not spend right now.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
I suggest integrating a single pole double throw switch to the +12v side of the trailer battery. One position wired to the +12v side of the winch, and the other wired to +12v from the truck. That way you can't accidentally run the winch off the truck feed and burn up your wiring harness.

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
Amazon.com: Gardner Bender GSW-117 Heavy-Duty Toggle Switch, 20A 125VAC, Single Pole Double Throw, (ON)-OFF-(ON): Home Improvement Amazon.com: Gardner Bender GSW-117 Heavy-Duty Toggle Switch, 20A 125VAC, Single Pole Double Throw, (ON)-OFF-(ON): Home Improvement

Something like this. You will want to make sure it can handle the max amp draw of the winch.

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM

meborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
I suggest integrating a single pole double throw switch to the +12v side of the trailer battery. One position wired to the +12v side of the winch, and the other wired to +12v from the truck. That way you can't accidentally run the winch off the truck feed and burn up your wiring harness.
better yet a SPDT relay. (a normally open SPST would actually be better)

hook one side of the relay coil to the B+ lead from the truck, and the other side to the 12v switched leg of the winch motor.

run the common pole (30) to the trailer battery
run the normally open pole to the B+ lead on the truck
leave the normally closed pole open.

this way when the truck is running, the relay coil activates and the voltage runs through the relay and charges the battery. when you activate the winch, the relay coil sees 12v on both legs, and will close the relay to the normally closed position, thus disconnecting the trailer battery from the b+ lead on the truck.

all automatic and idiot proof that way

harder to explain that to do....
Be yourself - Always ... Unless you can be Batman, then Always be Batman
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM