6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

emissions in california??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emissions in california??

okay some of you may remember, but i bought a 2008 6.4 when i was living in South Carolina. The truck is pretty much the most ridiculous thing on the road in my opinion. Its lifted 10inches and is sitting on 44 inch tires. it is also deleted and tuned with a H&S minimaxx tuner.

Now here is the problem, i have moved back to california. land of the hippies, and my big obnoxious coal rolling attention grabbing "hello officer, please pull me over" truck is just not blending in to well.

I am strongly thinking about lowering the truck, perhaps dropping it down a few inches and setting it on 37s. just so i am still lifted but not standing out like the hulk at a midget convention. removing the tuner and adding a DPF so i can pass smog.

any thoughts on any of this? how hard would it be? money wise? time wise?
yay or nay? what do you think.

i want to keep my nice new truck, but im over the hassel and dont need the tickets or the attention..

Old 09-09-2014, 06:47 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my opinion I'd lower it down and move back to South Carolina.
Did you get the DPF with the truck and can you leave it registered out of state??
Sorry I get side tracked easily, LOL, in the end either is not a big deal, but you will be bummed when you un tune it and will have to be more particular how you drive it.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gooood ole bubba!!! this sounds like a problem in every sense of the word... they don't play in cali!!lowering the truck?? so taking the 10inch off... which means new tires/wheels and a new lift?? Adding the dpf back to the truck....lose a lot of power and hope you don't have to drive up a hill... there's no one simple answer.... I'm still waiting to see some pictures of this "beast" ???

Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
In my opinion I'd lower it down and move back to South Carolina.
Did you get the DPF with the truck and can you leave it registered out of state??
Sorry I get side tracked easily, LOL, in the end either is not a big deal, but you will be bummed when you un tune it and will have to be more particular how you drive it.
As much as i HATE california, i will not be moving back to SC any time soon. It's good to be home, just funny how things have changed. And quickly at that! I guess its understandable, but i cant believe all these emission laws. Pure joke.

Anyways i will be lowering that sucker, thinking something like 8'' with 37''s will be perfect. Still a beast but way more low profile and off radar. As far as registration goes, lets just say i didnt realize i had so many friends in "low places". It shouldnt be a problem anymore. Daddy gets to keep his tunes and deletes

Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Is it worth the money to drop it two inches?!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
^^^yeah it makes no sense to go down 2 inches.. but HEY I've been wanting a 10 inch lift what's the brand??? HOW BOUT SOME PICS OF THE TRUCK>?>???

Old 09-09-2014, 10:32 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Originally Posted by RM2738
Is it worth the money to drop it two inches?!
I agree with you, it may not be the most money friendly idea. The main reason i want to bring it down is because its just too freaking big. The ride is horrible, straight lumber jack truck. The truck as it sits now has 44 inch tires on it, they are in great shape. i figured if i swap lifts and tires i could sell the old lift components and tires to off set the price a little bit.

i like tires to be stuffed a little bit so just going with smaller tires is not going to do it for me.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:36 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
^^^yeah it makes no sense to go down 2 inches.. but HEY I've been wanting a 10 inch lift what's the brand??? HOW BOUT SOME PICS OF THE TRUCK>?>???
Im not 100% sure what exactly is under there, its all suspension though. No body BS here. I didnt lift the truck so i cant say, but i can snap some pictures for you in the morning and post them here. If your truly interested. Like i said though, with 10 inches of lift the ride SUCKS. not saying 8 inches is going to be much better. But it certainly cant be any worse then 10 inches on 44s !!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
never mind, the trucks got a 8 inch rough country kit with a 2 inch daystar leveling kit. looks like i might just be removing the leveling kit and getting new tires! hell yeah, money saved!!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
In California...last time I checked only Banks had tuners that were CARB approved...with DPF on.

I ran the banks 6 gun with the DPF on. I never removed my DPF and got along just fine with my truck.

Check with H and S and see if they are carb compliant. Get an EO number from them and slap it under the hood.

You will still have to put the dpf back on though for the inspection.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gooood ole bubba!!!
What, just telling like it is, and I've never been to California. Sounds like a nice place to visit once in my lifetime but I don't think I'd ever call it home.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
What, just telling like it is, and I've never been to California. Sounds like a nice place to visit once in my lifetime but I don't think I'd ever call it home.

I agree my friend... would love to visit a while then bring it on home... I'm still waiting to see these pics.... with 10 inches the manufactures always say only 40's.... hard 2 believe he's got 44's unless he did a lot of trimming

Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
I agree my friend... would love to visit a while then bring it on home... I'm still waiting to see these pics.... with 10 inches the manufactures always say only 40's.... hard 2 believe he's got 44's unless he did a lot of trimming
Do i sense some disbelief ?!

There was a bit of triming done on the front to make that rubber fit...

what your looking at is a 8 inch rough country lift with a 2.5 inch daystar leveling kit stacked on top of it. Sitting on Michelin XML 44.5x20x12.0 tires

Old 09-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
"there was a bit of trimming" lol... no dis-belief I knew the answer already...the prior owner had 2 do quite a bit of trimming...and those "bushwhacker" things that I HATE...but to each their own different strokes for different folks! It doesn't ride like **** with 44's and the 2.5 spacers?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 AM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
"there was a bit of trimming" lol... no dis-belief I knew the answer already...the prior owner had 2 do quite a bit of trimming...and those "bushwhacker" things that I HATE...but to each their own different strokes for different folks! It doesn't ride like **** with 44's and the 2.5 spacers?
I hated the flares myself, but they have grown on me I think with smaller tires I will also get smaller flares. And this thing rides like total ****. But I believe its the tires. A. They are to heavy and B. They are rock solid. I let a lot of air out of them once just for ****s and giggles. Truck rode a lot better. But as of now the rides comparable to a ridged framed Harley. Hahaha

Quick Reply: emissions in california??