Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:47 AM
E_Net_Rider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less air volume in any but MAX selection

This should be added to pinned.
Symptoms:
You have more air from dash registers in MAX selection compared to Normal. Only thing that changes in system is recirculate to outside air.
Defog and Defrost are not working as should be for conditions.
Cause: Ford put some material over the inlet inside of the cowl which restricts airflow from outside. Less than normal airflow will result in all selections other than MAX which takes air from cabin and not from outside.
The material may become clogged with dirt, pollen, & road film and also mildew causing odor or allergic reaction. This is a NHTSA recall type problem and should be fixed by Frod because of safety issues for malfunctioning defogger/defroster.

Not sure what years all affected. This is 2001 F150 XLT supercab 4x4 OffRoad with only 54000 miles.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:26 AM
E_Net_Rider
New User
Red face

Originally Posted by E_Net_Rider
This should be added to pinned.
Symptoms:
You have more air from dash registers in MAX selection compared to Normal. Only thing that changes in system is recirculate to outside air.
Defog and Defrost are not working as should be for conditions.
Cause: Ford put some material over the inlet inside of the cowl which restricts airflow from outside. Less than normal airflow will result in all selections other than MAX which takes air from cabin and not from outside.
The material may become clogged with dirt, pollen, & road film and also mildew causing odor or allergic reaction. This is a NHTSA recall type problem and should be fixed by Frod because of safety issues for malfunctioning defogger/defroster.

Not sure what years all affected. This is 2001 F150 XLT supercab 4x4 OffRoad with only 54000 miles.
An answer to this problem is needed. Removing material then allows road film and bugs in causing another safety issue. Anyone know a solution from Frod?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:10 PM
E_Net_Rider
New User
Its a MOUSE!
Anyone know how to remove all the nesting material? What a mess. I've removed enough to make two softballs so far and the airflow is still restricted. Don't think I can get anymore of it from outside.
Help?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:48 AM
E_Net_Rider
New User
I got the rest of it by removing fan motor and reaching up. I did the CAF cutout and managed to get a small amount of debris from the lower edge of evaporator, so it looks pretty clean.
But I will go back and spray with evaporator cleaner as a cautionary because it just does not seem to have sufficient cooling for the cabin yet.
That is not measured but air from dash register feels like it would freeze with blower on high.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ford did not calculate into the AC system for the larger cab and extra air leaks around the doors. Or just where would the most heat load be entering?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:55 AM
E_Net_Rider
New User
Living in the south, AC is pretty important and it seems the only AC engineers ford has worked over in the big rear wheel drive Lincolns. Dash registers could be pointed away from face toward the top of cabin where the heat accumulated and where passenger heads would be causing perception of hot. Not so with many other Ford products including my Lincoln MKS.

Perchance has anyone ran across alternate dash registers? Something less restrictive to flow and direction?
I would not be riding in back seat, but bet it could be much warmer there than in the front.
On warm days, 90 degree, it has to be fan on high, MAX or AC, freezing fingers cold at dash and then still feel warm to rest of body.
This is 01 XLT 4x4 large cab, not crew. Are there known shortcomings with this model?
Like weak pump or just low capacity?
Charge has not yet been verified, but condenser cleaned.