Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Could I be cooking my carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Could I be cooking my carrier?

I've had a lot of work done to Stinky's running gear since May, and I'm still in the throes of chasing down the last vibration in him. I've paid particular attention to the driveline, pulling it and having it spun in the shop more than once. I've tried the carrier bearing shim, but it only exacerbated the vibration. I recently checked the temperature again, and I spotted something I don't remember seeing before. While aiming the sensor directly at the bearing, I got a reading of 150 degrees F. I grabbed the driveline next to the bearing, and it was hot to the touch.

As I mentioned, I don't remember this much heat before - but my memory is feeble. Has anybody else checked their driveline for heat near/at the carrier bearing?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:38 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I've had a lot of work done to Stinky's running gear since May, and I'm still in the throes of chasing down the last vibration in him. I've paid particular attention to the driveline, pulling it and having it spun in the shop more than once. I've tried the carrier bearing shim, but it only exacerbated the vibration. I recently checked the temperature again, and I spotted something I don't remember seeing before. While aiming the sensor directly at the bearing, I got a reading of 150 degrees F. I grabbed the driveline next to the bearing, and it was hot to the touch.

As I mentioned, I don't remember this much heat before - but my memory is feeble. Has anybody else checked their driveline for heat near/at the carrier bearing?
I don't recall mine being that warm when I was chasing a dirveline vibration that turned out to be the carrier bearing.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
When mine went out I had almost no vibrations but a grinding noise.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Tugly, You ask a great question. What is the operating temperature range of the rear axle? I just shot mine with an I.R. gun and it was 120*. I looked up Dana S-135 operating temperature and did not find anything. On the automatic transmission 70*-100* above ambient is considered in the normal range. Does the rear differential have a similar range?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'd talk to the guy who just installed it. 150 to me would be normal temp. It should be in the ford manual some where. Can't remember the temps but my neighbor went to amsoil because it cooled down the quickest when towing his 38 foot 5th wheel.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CGMKCM
Tugly, You ask a great question. What is the operating temperature range of the rear axle? I just shot mine with an I.R. gun and it was 120*. I looked up Dana S-135 operating temperature and did not find anything. On the automatic transmission 70*-100* above ambient is considered in the normal range. Does the rear differential have a similar range?
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I'd talk to the guy who just installed it. 150 to me would be normal temp. It should be in the ford manual some where. Can't remember the temps but my neighbor went to amsoil because it cooled down the quickest when towing his 38 foot 5th wheel.
I think he's talking about the drive shaft carrier bearing, not the differential.

A temp of 150 would be completely normal for the differential in the summer time.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
I think he's talking about the drive shaft carrier bearing, not the differential.

A temp of 150 would be completely normal for the differential in the summer time.
Sorry for the derail, I read carrier and jumped on differential. Need to work on reading comprehension.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Might be yours is a good bit too hot. I checked mine after an hour drive and found 94 degrees, felt little to no heat. Most everything under the truck that wasn't exhaust, or gears was about the same. It's almost 90 here in Gawga today. Truck did sit for about 10 mins before I remembered to check it but the diff was at 120 and tranny at 150 to 160ish depending on were you checked.

Sorry about the lousy pic. My photog fu is not good

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
To answer the other question, Stinky's differential is usually 140* to 150* after some time on the highway. The differential is cooler than the carrier bearing - that can't be good.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Might be yours is a good bit too hot. I checked mine after an hour drive and found 94 degrees, felt little to no heat. Most everything under the truck that wasn't exhaust, or gears was about the same. It's almost 90 here in Gawga today. Truck did sit for about 10 mins before I remembered to check it but the diff was at 120 and tranny at 150 to 160ish depending on were you checked.

Sorry about the lousy pic. My photog fu is not good
That's in "line" with what I remember before the driveline work.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Time to break out the tools and scrape the knuckles. Hopefully it won't cost YOU much but chances are good we might get a new story

And don't believe it can't happen from something so simple as a carrier bearing change. This is Tugly we're talking about.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nt-w-pics.html

(please remember to chock the tires, that's not the kinda story I'm hoping for)

Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Rich have you put the rear in the air? I say if she free spins smooth she is good.
Maybe the carrier itself is the problem.

Did you shoot drive shaft between carrier and rear diff?
I will shoot mine next time I drive it. Mine is a garage Queen most days during the week

Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Outside temps?

It was 103 here today so almost anything metal outside in the sun was 150 just sitting there. We've got a big cold front coming Thursday where it's not even supposed to hit 90 so I'll check mine then if you still don't have enough input.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
It's been in the 80s here, and the rest of the shaft shows ambient temperature. The carrier bearing was new in May... but I've dropped the drive line countless times without injury. Sorry guys, nothing notable there.

Yes... the two halves are synchronized, marked, and spun-balanced as a whole.

Update: I have taken a mechanic and the driveline guy for test drives, and of course - Stinky was on his best behavior during both drives. I can't get input on something that won't show up with the pros in the seat. While there is a strong vibration that comes and goes on a whim, there is a subtle one that has the frequency of a driveline. Others who ride in Stinky feel "it's a truck, what do you expect?"... but he rode smoother than this last winter.

In my search for answers, I turned to the thermometer and found something I hadn't seen before. I may have to just let this go until I sort out the more serious intermittent vibration - which the parts are in transit.

Side note: While discussing this with the driveline guy, he was making "Why don't you get rid of the truck and..." jokes. He followed that phrase with "...get a real hobby", "...get a gasser", and "...get a Duramax". During the test drive, he said "Oooo.... what's that?" as he gestured to the tablet with Torque Pro running, and "This is a nice truck, I'd keep it".

Maybe it was the steering wheel that swayed him.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich I'll be running hard again today grossing 20-ish K
I check wheel bearing temps on the trailer and tire temps on my truck at EVERY stop.
I'll shoot my carrier bearing and rear axle & let you know today.

Quick Reply: Could I be cooking my carrier?