1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2003 F150 Bogs When Giving Gas in Park

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Papasmithnc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 F150 Bogs When Giving Gas in Park

My Truck has 42k and is 6 cylinder. Not used very much.

1) In park the truck bogs down while rapidly giving it gas as said in the title. The truck Idles fine.
2) It has new wires and new coil pack. Problem existed before replacement.
3) Really lacks power when driving as expected.
4) Every once in awhile it pops or backfires back through the intake.
5) Truck was being used regularly when this problem developed.
6) No Codes

I've looked at the plugs and it looks like the truck is running rich but, I'm not sure.

I'm stumped.

I have done a search but, everyone is posting about problems while driving the truck. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. I will come back and provide the solution to my problem once it is figured out to help others.

Thanks,
Dave in NC

Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
Dave in NC,
I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm going to watch this thread, because the truck that I just bought, albeit for a uber-low price, has a similar problem. It bogs down when taking off from a stop, too, unless you really baby it until it starts to rev. Runs a little rough at idle, too. First, though misfire, but now just thinking it is running really rich or something. Haven't gotten mine home to look at it in more detail yet, but if I find something magical, I'll be sure to post it here!

Oh, yeah, mine doesn't have any codes, either. Ordered a new scanner, since my old one doesn't support mode 6, which is what everybody says a Ford owner needs to have. Should be here tomorrow, so maybe I'll learn something then.

Dave in KS

Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Would you not first think fuel is lacking?
Test fuel pressure on the injector rail with a gauge not just push the valve in and look at fuel squirt.
Look for 30 to 45 psi.
If fuel filter has not been changed for a long time consider doing so.
Fuel regulator can be faulty.
Fuel pump worn out etc.
There is no monitoring of the fuel system except for end effects of a fault.
A look at live data with a Scanner might show the fuel tables out of normal range but not so far as to set a code.
Good luck.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Papasmithnc
New User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Would you not first think fuel is lacking?
Test fuel pressure on the injector rail with a gauge not just push the valve in and look at fuel squirt.
Look for 30 to 45 psi.
If fuel filter has not been changed for a long time consider doing so.
Fuel regulator can be faulty.
Fuel pump worn out etc.
There is no monitoring of the fuel system except for end effects of a fault.
A look at live data with a Scanner might show the fuel tables out of normal range but not so far as to set a code.
Good luck.

Thanks Bluegrass. I'll check those things but, thought the likelihood of the problems you mentioned to be down the list as the truck has been garaged and only has 42k. However, I do know that age takes a toll especially with the gas of today and more complicated systems.

I'll return to let members know if one or more of those things you mentioned was the problem. In the meanwhile, I welcome other suggestions.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Papasmithnc
New User
Originally Posted by whateg01
Dave in NC,
I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm going to watch this thread, because the truck that I just bought, albeit for a uber-low price, has a similar problem. It bogs down when taking off from a stop, too, unless you really baby it until it starts to rev. Runs a little rough at idle, too. First, though misfire, but now just thinking it is running really rich or something. Haven't gotten mine home to look at it in more detail yet, but if I find something magical, I'll be sure to post it here!

Oh, yeah, mine doesn't have any codes, either. Ordered a new scanner, since my old one doesn't support mode 6, which is what everybody says a Ford owner needs to have. Should be here tomorrow, so maybe I'll learn something then.

Dave in KS
Hi Dave in KS.

KS, the state where I was born. Anyway, your problem might be bad wires or coil pack. Mine was difficult to start and had a skip when I first got it. Replacing those parts did the trick for those problems. If you have the 4.2? then, replacing the coil pack is a snap. The wires, not as easy as you might think. Let me know if you find out anything. Right now, my truck is next to useless.

Dave in NC

Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Papasmithnc
New User
Update on F150 Bogging down in Park

Put in a new fuel filter. Was surprised to find that the old one was pretty well stopped up at 42k. However, I believe it was due to bad gas at this particular gas station in North Myrtle Beach because I remember the problem starting shortly after that.

Truck still bogs down but, noticeably not so bad. I am going to run a some injector, fuel system cleaner through and see if that helps. If not, I am going to check the fuel pressure.

Shudder Stutter

Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
Hey, my truck is getting better. Replacing coil packs and with each one, it gets a little better, but another cylinder shows misfire. Eventually, I'll run out of coil packs, so hopefully that all goes away before then.

Ever get it all solved?

If you can check the O2 sensor voltages, you might try that. The bogging down was the first symptom I tackled and found that the S1B1 sensor only read 0.065V and never moved. All of the others read higher than normal. Replacing that O2 sensor fixed the bogging down issue. Still ran like crap because of the plug and coil issues, but at least it ran long enough to look at the other stuff.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Papasmithnc
New User
Yeah, my truck is running better as well. Turned out that a major part of my problem was a nearly stopped up fuel filter. I'm almost sure it was from bad gas that I got from a station in North Myrtle Beach as the severe bogging problem started just after that. By the way, be wary of Fram fuel filters. I put a post in earlier as to why. Just look under my name or put in Fram Fuel in the search function.

I then put in this fuel system cleaner highly recommended by the Advance Auto guy that has some kind of enzymes to break down the buildup created by today's ethanol fuels. And, it really has helped. I think another bottle of that stuff and I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the follow up and I'll remember what you wrote if I continue to have problems.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Motorcraft filters for me.

Air
Fuel
Oil

Old 09-08-2014, 11:01 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
In general, Fram is probably the worst filter you can buy for any fluid, whether it's air, oil, fuel, or probably anything else. We talk about house brand vs. name brand and often the house brand is to be avoided. In this case, I'll take a house brand over a Fram any day!

Glad the truck is running better!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by khadma
Motorcraft filters for me.

Air
Fuel
Oil
Yep. I was think it could also be a vacuum leak. That can cause your symptoms I think. Makes engine run too rich making up for air leak in vacuum line.