Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 F150 SCSB 4x4 Build & Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM
thethrill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow '91 F150 SCSB 4x4 Build & Updates

I bought this truck over the phone just by what I could see on the C'List ad. The seller was kind enough to call me back and tell me that after I spoke for the truck he went out the next day and started it to drive it just to double check everything was as he had told me it was before I came after it. He stated that when he started the truck it started smoking. He said it had never smoked before. He said but after a little bit, the smoke quit. He offered to adjust the price accordingly and we discussed it. We reached what we both thought was a fair amount for the truck. I figured it was the just bad valve guide seals, but made sure the price was where I could put a motor in it and still be in good shape. The truck was a one owner rig truck and had sat a lot the last few years. I picked it up on September 2nd with another truck and trailer. Once I got it home I started it, it smoked and then quit as he said though so I drove it up the road about 1 mile or less and back. During this time it began smoking again, HEAVILY! Motor started chattering / making racket etc by the time I got back to the house. I suspected at this time it had a broken ring. I decided to just order some parts for the the new Jasper 302 I had sitting in the shop.

The Jasper Motor Story: A family friend had bought it new from a local shop and put less than 5,000 miles on it before his son wrecked the car. He came by after that and asked if I would give a couple hundred for the old wrecked car. I did. I pulled the motor and crushed the car. I have had the motor for 2-3 years now waiting for a good reason to use it. I called Jasper and they stated it had been bored .020 over.

I bought the 31-255-5 Comp Cam, Springs, Lifters, Retainers, Valve locks, rocker arms, pushrods, and Timing Chain & Gear Set.

Also bought all new plugs, wires, high volume oil pump, water pump, complete engine gasket set, cap, rotor, pcv valve, oil pressure sending unit and a couple other odds and ends.

Although the motor had less than 5k miles on it, it was rebuilt aprx. 10 years ago so I replaced the water & oil pump etc just as cheap security.

I spent 19 hours Saturday pulling the motor, taking apart and rebuilding the Jasper motor. Switching over all the accessories, and re-installing the new motor in the F150. I had to tinker with a few things Sunday and by Sunday evening the truck is running like a sewing machine. Very happy to have this truck and to have a new motor in it. It should last me a lifetime. It is in excellent condition with the exception of the rust over the rear fenders and just a little bit on the front fender. I will repair all of that most likely as the truck is just mint everywhere else. Sad part is it will mostly be one of my farm trucks, but I hope to go quite easy on it. I will post some pics shortly.

Future plans for the truck:

WeatherTech type floormats
Brake Job
AC - It's been converted to 134A but had no pressure so needs overhauled most likely.
Seat Cover
Tint Windows 15%
Rust Repair (If done, it will get a complete new paint job with same general colors but I would replace the monotone burgundy for the 2014 F150 "Ruby Red" Paint and possibly "Oxford White".
Larger AT / MT Tires (Nothing crazy)
Remove Cats from exhaust
New factory wheel covers maybe, I kinda like the "grandpa's truck" look of the truck. I don't want to butcher the history, Although, I won't guarantee I won't put some slick new chrome wheels on it.

Possibly Gt40 heads and headers if I stumble across a deal on them.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 PM
thethrill
Senior User

First pulled the motor and have the Jasper motor tore down.

After taking the Valve Covers, Plenum and Intake off the F150 motor (sorry for the blurry pic)

Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM
ozdatman
Senior User
Wow! Was the oil ever changed?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good plan. No doubt that motor was about to give it up. Look forward to the progress and finished product. Keep us updated

Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM
thethrill
Senior User
Originally Posted by ozdatman
Wow! Was the oil ever changed?
By looks of the truck, I was amazed at how bad the motor was. When I looked at the truck the oil looked like honey and had a brand new oil filter. The trans fluid was cherry red also. Not sure if he just didn't change it in his old age or it just sat so long or what. I do know that the last oil change was in 2010 and it had less than 3,000 miles on it since then. So the truck was driven very little in the past 4 years at least. Oh well, New motor in now, no worries

Old 09-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
Great looking truck you got there. The inside of the old motor reminds me of the Penzoil motors that I had to work on years ago. I've seen them so full of ash that when you removed the valve covers, they were completely full! I bet your old oil pan was quite a sight also. I really love my truck and I bet you'll love your also.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
thethrill
Senior User
Thanks Bruners, Ya when I took off the valve cover on the passenger side, about a quart of oil dumped out all over haha. Everything was just nasty. The oil pan had another 2 inches of solidified sludge also.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 AM
thethrill
Senior User
Looks like the starter is in need of being replaced. Could be worse I guess haha

Old 09-30-2014, 07:14 AM
thethrill
Senior User
Well, I replaced the starter with an Oreilly's Reman (lifetime warranty). Also had to replace the radiator. It sprouted a leak so I replaced it with a brand new one that is thicker and is a hd type.

Next on the list.... Brakes & AC

Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a nice looking truck. Holy, I've never seen so much crud inside an engine before! Yikes!!
On another note, it's cool you have a perfectly running engine in the truck now.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Good looking truck! I have an 89 XLT Lariat that I'm in the process of building up a truck as well. I like your ideas for the colors. Hogs colors! Keep on updating and we here love pictures!

Old 10-22-2014, 01:01 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
FYI your abbreviation is wrong. SC = SuperCab. Your truck is RC SWB - Regular Cab, Short Wheelbase.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Maybe he was going for SC- Standard Cab?

Old 10-22-2014, 01:33 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jas88
FYI your abbreviation is wrong. SC = SuperCab. Your truck is RC SWB - Regular Cab, Short Wheelbase.
Or RCSB, Regular Cab Short Bed.

Good looking truck you got there, nice to have an engine ready to go when you needed it.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:10 PM
thethrill
Senior User
Yes, RCSB (Regular Cab Short Bed) was the goal.

So the fuel pump quit on me, and trying to save a buck I ordered one off of Amazon.
Autobest F1075A Fuel Pump Module

Got it all installed drove it to town, went in a store, came out and nothing...pump would kick on but wouldn't pump any fuel. Just a piece of junk.

Ended up going with another from Napa. Truck running now, but acts like it's overloading sometimes. Not sure what the issue is there yet.

Quick Reply: '91 F150 SCSB 4x4 Build & Updates