Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Alignment

Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by superdave02f552
There are no slots of any fashion for the front I'm looking at round holes in my old axle right now
That's what I saw...if you have something other than a round port, methinks your axle was jacked up (hit something and it distorted the metal on the axle?).

Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 PM
wrxin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
That's what I saw...if you have something other than a round port, methinks your axle was jacked up (hit something and it distorted the metal on the axle?).
The slot is in the spring pack guys, where the pin goes through.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:11 PM
wrxin
Elder User
Originally Posted by wrxin
I checked some of my spring pics. Only one of the two leafs on each front spring pack is slotted so there's really no adjustment in the pack. The leaf with the slot is the lower leaf, the one that does not hold the bushings. I'm sure it's there just to align the pack as the center pin is tightened, not to align the front axle.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
???

Um, I don't think so my man. The spring pack bolt (that goes through all of the springs and extends above and below the spring pack) goes into a hole drilled into the axle.

Here is a shot of it - the vice grips are on the "head" of the bolt holding it while I loosen the nut (rear spring, but the bolt placement is the same on the front):

That bolt head goes into a "hole" of sorts on the flat plate welded to the axle...here is another shot of the "nut" side of that bolt sticking up:

The "head" is down into the hole on that plate, then a top plate that also has the shock mount on it goes over that bolt:

...are you sure you don't have an axle from a different vehicle on there?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM
wrxin
Elder User
The slot isn't in the AXLE, is in one of the front spring leafs!!! Read this please.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 AM
wrxin
Elder User
I never should have gone down this rabbit trail. I've mentioned throughout this post that the front axle is basically not adjustable in relation to the rear axle. The OP said something about slotted front springs and I was just trying to help him out. I also later mentioned that the slot I was thinking about won't actually do what he hopes it will.

But, as a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is the infamous slot we're all discussing.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:10 AM
wrxin
Elder User
Thanks but I really didn't need the lecture and pictures of the REAR springs, when I'm taking about the FRONT springs. I've done my own very successful spring swap so I really do understand all this...

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
???

Um, I don't think so my man. The spring pack bolt (that goes through all of the springs and extends above and below the spring pack) goes into a hole drilled into the axle.

Here is a shot of it - the vice grips are on the "head" of the bolt holding it while I loosen the nut (rear spring, but the bolt placement is the same on the front):

That bolt head goes into a "hole" of sorts on the flat plate welded to the axle...here is another shot of the "nut" side of that bolt sticking up:

The "head" is down into the hole on that plate, then a top plate that also has the shock mount on it goes over that bolt:

...are you sure you don't have an axle from a different vehicle on there?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Gene Horr
Senior User
WRXIN is correct. Now that I have everything off I see that the slot that is on the stock front springs is not for axle adjustment. It looks like it is more of an expansion joint to allow for the change in radius for the two main springs since both are full length. Since the rear springs are a different arrangement this slot would not be necessary for the rear.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:57 AM
wrxin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gene Horr
WRXIN is correct. Now that I have everything off I see that the slot that is on the stock front springs is not for axle adjustment. It looks like it is more of an expansion joint to allow for the change in radius for the two main springs since both are full length. Since the rear springs are a different arrangement this slot would not be necessary for the rear.
Thanks. Did you ever figure out why the front and rear were not in alignment?

I do know that some folks have made the mistake of torquing down all the leaf spring bolts and shackles and all that with the car not fully on its own weight on the ground.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:12 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Hey man, take a deep breath, no-one is coming down on you with a lecture...we are all trying to help out here so don't make this into something it isn't.

The fronts have a slot but its no very long.
...you didn't specify axle vs. spring in that post, which is why I chimed in with the photos.

But, as a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is the infamous slot we're all discussing.

Now that you posted the photos and added comments that it's on the spring, everyone is on the same page.

Of course there is the one oval hole, but in one of the two leaves. Unless it's in both, that pin will not allow adjustment front to back - just like we BOTH are trying to say.

Summary: We are both saying the same thing - the hole in question doesn't allow alignment of the spring, that something else is going on with his rig.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
Thanks. Did you ever figure out why the front and rear were not in alignment?
No, but I am installing all new springs today and I'll see what that does. I finally slapped myself upside the head and noticed that I was spending more money propping up the worn out springs than I would have spent just purchasing new ones. I had not realized how cheap new springs are.