1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Patching tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patching tires

Has anyone used piecies of innertubes t patch tires from the inside?

Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
I would never patch a tire with more than just a nail size hole. That said, I only use the patch that you insert from the outside with a round rubber worm thing greased up with rubber cement. I carry this type patch kit in all my vehicles and have patched several tires by just jacking them up and patching the hole and re-inflating.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:00 PM
nelbur
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm with Ranger Pat. As a home builder for 15 years, I have likely plugged a hundred nail holes, inserting the rubber plug from the outside as he described. I don't believe I have ever had a problem with this method. Even if you were to patch from the inside, a plug would be needed to keep water out of the steel belts. A simple patch from the inside would not protect the belts.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:28 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by nelbur
I'm with Ranger Pat. As a home builder for 15 years, I have likely plugged a hundred nail holes, inserting the rubber plug from the outside as he described. I don't believe I have ever had a problem with this method. Even if you were to patch from the inside, a plug would be needed to keep water out of the steel belts. A simple patch from the inside would not protect the belts.
You hit on something very important to remember--inside patches, which I used to think was the way to go, leave the hole open on the outside and water, salt etc does get in there and start rusting the belts. Once that happens, it's a short trip to the tire coming apart.

To the OP: If you must go cheap on something, leave the tires and brakes out of it.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
The reason I asked this question is because I need to do it on an atv tire. Their walls aren't nearly as thick as you would think. While the point brought up with salt and steel belting is interesting, these aren't steel belted. While I know this isn't an atv forum, I also know there are a lot of old shade tree mechanics who did 'patch' their tires back before the era of radial steel belting came along, thus my posting this. So my question still remains open.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bazzman1953
The reason I asked this question is because I need to do it on an atv tire. Their walls aren't nearly as thick as you would think. While the point brought up with salt and steel belting is interesting, these aren't steel belted. While I know this isn't an atv forum, I also know there are a lot of old shade tree mechanics who did 'patch' their tires back before the era of radial steel belting came along, thus my posting this. So my question still remains open.
Well I would use a standard tire patch. Is this in the tread area or sidewall? Sidewalls flex so much I doubt you could make a patch of any kind stay.

Seems to me the patches are a lot softer than inner tube rubber, which probably helps with the cement and bonding and helps them conform to the surface.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:27 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger pat
I would never patch a tire with more than just a nail size hole. That said, I only use the patch that you insert from the outside with a round rubber worm thing greased up with rubber cement. I carry this type patch kit in all my vehicles and have patched several tires by just jacking them up and patching the hole and re-inflating.
I have seen "plug" type repairs both work their way out and allow air past enough to separate layers of tires. Worked for a service station and thats what we used, saw them sometimes come back with those type problems, but never a patch fail. I am only comfortable with patches.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:15 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Per my tire lawyer buddy, get 'em both and seal it from both sides:

Black Jack Tire Repair Patch Plug Combo 3/8" Stem

Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There used to be a tire patch called a 'boot'. It was for sidewall repairs and was very well vulcanized. I think this if still available would be more of what you need vs a standard patch or plug. The use of tire cement and a rubber not really designed as a patch material will leave much to be desired. If you recall the old 'hot patch' was actually the best afollowed by the plug patch. A patch on the inside vulcanized to the tire and a plug that was pulled thru to seal the hole. Lazy folks just went to plugs and called it a day.

So it will depend on the size of the patch required and where, but in a basic answer to your question NO, IMO.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Per my tire lawyer buddy, get 'em both and seal it from both sides:

Black Jack Tire Repair Patch Plug Combo 3/8" Stem
I have used many, many of these and highly recommend them. They come in several different sizes (⅜, ¼, ⅛") for whatever you need.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Fordteamone
Senior User
Bazzman I guess you can call me old. I worked in a tire shop and patched (on tread), boot (big thick patch on sidewall) and plugged a lot of tires. You should be able to buy a patch at the local tire store or auto parts and service station if you have one nearby. The patch / boot are sealed and has raw rubber that helps it to stick to the hot glue. I am not sure the tube will get clean enough to stick and seal.
Bob

Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I'll go buy a couple of patch kits. I have 7 !!! nails I have to remove from one tire, and I still have a pair I still need to check. My experience with plugs on atv tires is that plugs will only work where there is the actual tread that's punctured. Where the puncture is on the smooth part the plug does work for a short time but will work itself loose and pop out in a matter of days. Fordteamone, when I first started driving bais-ply was all that was available. I figured there would be an old hand who would remember way back when!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plugs are worthless and dangerous.
Patch only!!!!
If you're concerned about water getting to the steelbelts which really isn't an issue than spend the extra money and have the patches installed that have a mini plug on it which patch/plug on the inside.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:26 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
In a former life, I tried using innertubes as patches on car tires. THe tire flexes when moving and this will cause the tire whole/cut to rub against innertube patch and it will eat a hole throw that innertube patch. Patches are thicker and don't have that issue.. This is especially true on the sidewall if you try and patch a cut/hole in the sidewall.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I'll go buy a couple of patch kits. I have 7 !!! nails I have to remove from one tire, and I still have a pair I still need to check. My experience with plugs on atv tires is that plugs will only work where there is the actual tread that's punctured. Where the puncture is on the smooth part the plug does work for a short time but will work itself loose and pop out in a matter of days. Fordteamone, when I first started driving bais-ply was all that was available. I figured there would be an old hand who would remember way back when!
you also might consider using a sealant like Ride-On. This stuff is NOT like that crap SLIME you buy at walmart. It's great on ATV tires and plugs holes plus it has additives to keep corrosion out of the wheel and it's water soluble which means it's easy to remove when you need to install a new tire. I use the motorcycle version on all my bikes and love it.
ATV Tire Sealant | UTV Tire Sealant | Tire Sealing Solutions - Ride-On