6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Is the 6.0 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motomax55
Thanks for the tip!

So would it be for me to go into this with the correct readings and compare them to what the reader will tell me?
Yes, what I did is write down what each sensor should be reading at various engine state, such as key on engine off...idle, and cruising on highway.

If you have an Android phone, the Torque Pro app is a better tool than the Scangauge.

EDIT: here is a great list of sensor info Piolet put together, I wish I had this back then....you don't need to check every thing on the list. The main ones to check are...Battery voltage - all 3 FICMPOWER - ICP psi - ICP volts - IPR% - ECT - EOT - BOOST (<--boost isn't on the list)
I'm sure there's more I have forgotten.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Engine Operating Values.pdf (123.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I see. If you aren't able to plug it, how long do you usually let her warm up for before you take off?

Thanks for all the responses guys! Keep the great tips coming.

Here is a picture of the truck

Like it said its a 05 350 Lariat

I usually let the dog out front with me, start the pickup and then go back inside, feed said dog, put my boots and coat on and then head out. So, 3 minutes or so?

Old 09-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Oh have I got a story about that..... The story is still unfolding.
Rut Roe.....

Old 09-07-2014, 02:38 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Money-Pit

Rut Roe.....
I'll pm you later. Mark bismic knows the story

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Old 09-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
The Ford F250/350 6.0 engine truck is a purpose designed truck for medium to heavy hauling. Of course we all use it for short distance trips but the vehicle and engine are really best at long hauls with heavy loads. The tradeoffs for this capability are expensive regular maintenance and when stuff happens, expensive repairs - both parts and labor. From a reliability standpoint it will not win any reliability ribbons but neither will its competition whether it is Chevrolet or Dodge diesel.

I drive a 6.0 because I pull a 5th wheel and it does the job nicely. I also do my own maintenance and most of the repairs. While the parts are expensive, I'm retired and can spend the time to do the labor. I also get good advice from this forum which helps a lot and I have an excellent Ford house in town. I also have a backup ride.

You seem to be concentrating on the engine but repairs to the front end of a Fx4 or the transmission can send you to the poor house. You mentioned that it was a Texas truck so I would assume that it has avoided the salt damage from Northern roads. If it was used on the beach like mine (we drive on the beach down here) it may have some under carriage rust.

From what I have read in your post, it would appear you could meet your needs with a F150 and believe me an F150 is a lot easier to maneuver around town and park. But if you are determined to join the F250/350 club, set aside $5000 in a savings account or cookie jar. I bet you will need it over the next two years for a truck with 180K on the odometer.

That said, I do enjoy my 2003 f250 6.0 and my wife likes to drive it as well. However, back in the day, most people did not sell their trucks until that moment they were either fed up with how much they had put into it or they knew it was circling the drain and would require some serious money to keep going. My truck looks as good as the truck in you post. I won't sell until I reach that moment.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM
clevelandtundra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the short commute to work. I use mine as a daily driver as well and put about 25 miles round trip each day on it. I don't wait excessively for it to warm up in the winter either, just a few minutes and take it easy on her for the first 5 miles or so. I use this truck exclusively as a DD and it has never given me a problem in two years of ownership. I drove it 1000 miles without thinking twice over labor day.

At 180k I would ask about ball joints, u-joints, tie rods, transmission and other wear and tear items. Look into the service history and see what has been done in the past 8 years.

Finally, if you do bring the truck up north you will probably want to switch to 5w40 synthetic motor oil - it helped my winter cold starts considerably.

Good luck and sometimes you just gotta take the plunge!

Old 09-07-2014, 05:39 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12 miles is plenty. My drive to work is 5 miles each way and I have no issues...
Well, mine used to be used for a 3 mile commute. Didn't work out great. Had some EGR coking issues, taken care of by my local dealership under warranty. Of course this was quite a while back and i gained nowledge of fuel additives which helped.

I still believe a diesel wouldn't be great for short commutes but everybody will have their own opinions.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:44 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jswartz84

Well, mine used to be used for a 3 mile commute. Didn't work out great. Had some EGR coking issues, taken care of by my local dealership under warranty. Of course this was quite a while back and i gained nowledge of fuel additives which helped.

I still believe a diesel wouldn't be great for short commutes but everybody will have their own opinions.
12 miles is hardly a short commute.

What year is your truck?

Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
12 miles is hardly a short commute.

What year is your truck?

Mines an 05.
If I'm watching my oil and coolant temp, my thermostat is just opening around the 10 mile mark. I won't even put it in gear unless the coolant is at least 100°.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:02 PM
motomax55
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Texas Bob
The Ford F250/350 6.0 engine truck is a purpose designed truck for medium to heavy hauling. Of course we all use it for short distance trips but the vehicle and engine are really best at long hauls with heavy loads. The tradeoffs for this capability are expensive regular maintenance and when stuff happens, expensive repairs - both parts and labor. From a reliability standpoint it will not win any reliability ribbons but neither will its competition whether it is Chevrolet or Dodge diesel.

I drive a 6.0 because I pull a 5th wheel and it does the job nicely. I also do my own maintenance and most of the repairs. While the parts are expensive, I'm retired and can spend the time to do the labor. I also get good advice from this forum which helps a lot and I have an excellent Ford house in town. I also have a backup ride.

You seem to be concentrating on the engine but repairs to the front end of a Fx4 or the transmission can send you to the poor house. You mentioned that it was a Texas truck so I would assume that it has avoided the salt damage from Northern roads. If it was used on the beach like mine (we drive on the beach down here) it may have some under carriage rust.

From what I have read in your post, it would appear you could meet your needs with a F150 and believe me an F150 is a lot easier to maneuver around town and park. But if you are determined to join the F250/350 club, set aside $5000 in a savings account or cookie jar. I bet you will need it over the next two years for a truck with 180K on the odometer.

That said, I do enjoy my 2003 f250 6.0 and my wife likes to drive it as well. However, back in the day, most people did not sell their trucks until that moment they were either fed up with how much they had put into it or they knew it was circling the drain and would require some serious money to keep going. My truck looks as good as the truck in you post. I won't sell until I reach that moment.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the post, good advice. I live in a small town that people say is in the middle of no where, so I am not too concerned about parking or city driving. I do have a back up vehicle that can handle the commute if something does go wrong.

Our family actually owns a 2008 F-150 Super Cab and it's been great, 210k and no major problems at all. Obviously this would be my everyday driver, but it would also serve it's purpose when our family does the 1000 mile + trips 2-3 times a year. The 150 is just not comfortable to seat 4 on a long distance trip. We also occasionally need to something that weights 10k+ so I thought this would appropriate. We were also thinking about looking into a 5th wheel toyhauler.

In terms of maintenance, my father was an airline mechanic 25 years and also had some experience with diesel stuff. He's pretty good with diesel stuff, so we would do all the general maintenance that is needed.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM
motomax55
Freshman User

What additives did you use and did it solve the problem?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
What additives did you use and did it solve the problem?
I just use the Motorcraft Cetane Boost. It works good.

My EGR cooler was misplaced in the process of replacing the oil cooler and I found an EGR delete kit to install. Now the intake is free of soot from the recirculation system. So the Delete kit was the problem solver.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Mines an 05.
If I'm watching my oil and coolant temp, my thermostat is just opening around the 10 mile mark. I won't even put it in gear unless the coolant is at least 100°.
X2 I do the same thing I wait for the 100* and go.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Motormax55, that is one great truck u got. Just drive it and do your regular maintenace on it. By doing that you take care of the truck and it will take care of you. Also I recommend using oem oil & fuel filter and you will be just fine. If you did not get any maintenance records with it I would do a complete change of oil, fuel filters and it would not hurt to drain the coolant and add new gold coolant. Enjoy the truck...

Quick Reply: Is the 6.0 right for me?