Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90's F250 vs F350

Old 09-07-2014, 10:56 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
a good frame is far,far,far more important that what type of front axle,gears,and engine she sports.
start with something solid and it will be worth your time.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MD79TA
Thanks for the replies guys! Happy to see this forum is very active!

I am thinking that I am going to holdout for an F350 at this point.

Any years in the late 80s to 90's that are better than others?

So the 460 a better option than the 5.8? I don't want a diesel, they are more expensive and I know nothing about them.

I can get a 97 F350 from a family friend that has a 460 with a bad block and a crusty frame. He let me whack the frame with a hammer and it's not rusted through but is definitely thinner than it was. Will need some leafspring mounts as they are rusted through. Cab is in great shape and interior is very nice everything works. Comes with a plow and a ton of new parts. Probably get it for $1000 or less.
460s have more power and torque, but are thirstier than 351s. Personally I'd rather have a 351, but it depends on how you're going to use it and what you expect. I couldn't find a crew cab with a 351 so I have a 460. It has more power, but that just means I don't push the pedal down as far, I still only use the power I'd have used from a 351 (but burn more gas doing it).

There were definitely changes over the years. Mid- to late '80s brought fuel injection. The E4OD replaced the C6 automatic in there somewhere. I'm sure there were a lot of other changes. Each one tended to bring improvements, but also complexity. Again, it depends on what you want.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 514 Likes on 339 Posts
1986 was the first full year after the 70s that 4x4 F350s received straight axles.
The Dana 60 solid axles up until 1992 had kingpins, which are typically preferred for durability over the later ball joint versions. In 1994 the brakes were also made larger.

The 460 is a good motor, lots of power, but fuel economy is pretty awful. Typically you can expect 10 MPG loaded or unloaded.
The 351w can get slightly better fuel mileage, you could reasonably expect 13 or 14 MPG unloaded. It should be noted that the later 351w engines can be found with MAF and received roller cams in 1995 and after, and it isn't hard to make more power with bolt on parts to meet or exceed the power that a 460 makes stock.

As for the 351w being a dog with the 3.55s behind them, I bought my truck with 4.10 gears in it, and swapped the rear to match the D44HD straight axle I put in the front of the truck. I firmly believe that the power it puts to the wheels now, is very similar to the power it would have made if I unplugged 2 plug wires when I had 4.10 gears. The difference is night and day.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:11 PM
MD79TA
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
a good frame is far,far,far more important that what type of front axle,gears,and engine she sports.
start with something solid and it will be worth your time.
This is the philosophy I have been using while searching, that's why I lean towards the 97 F250. Just wish it had a solid axle up front.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:14 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
I still think that the 97 you showed the pictures of would suit your purposes really well, and if later on down the road, you decide you want to put a straight axle is, you can still do that. I think you will find that it's a good work truck though.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 PM
MD79TA
Junior User
Thanks for the replies guys! I had heard the 460 would get 10mpg. Although not ideal I could probably live with it. I don't think a 5.8 would have any issue with what I intend to do and if it does there are plenty of mods that can be done. I think I will base my decision more off of what the overall condition of the truck is rather than the engine.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
MD79TA
Junior User
Originally Posted by GNR22
I still think that the 97 you showed the pictures of would suit your purposes really well, and if later on down the road, you decide you want to put a straight axle is, you can still do that. I think you will find that it's a good work truck though.
Based off of the pictures it looks solid to you? price fair?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:28 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
What did you say the price was for that truck, $2000? It looks solid though ,frame looks to be in good shape. I would change the auto locking hubs to manual hubs, especially if youre using it as a plow truck, but otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 PM
MD79TA
Junior User
What did you say the price was for that truck, $2000? It looks solid though ,frame looks to be in good shape. I would change the auto locking hubs to manual hubs, especially if youre using it as a plow truck, but otherwise, it looks pretty good.
I can have it for $1000. The t case shifter is broken, it pings under hard acceleration, stalls when turning at low speeds, the t case is leaking, there is a loud belt squeal/chirp when running, heat and A/C blow but no temperature change just plain air, and the radiator is leaking.

I am not scared by much of this, the transfer case issues and lack of heat mostly. I restore cars with my father but this is my first 4x4.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:39 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
The pinging is likely timing issues, which is easily fixed, transfercases can usually be found for cheap on craigslist if the leaking one is junk, the rest of that isn't too complicated either.

For $1000 you can't hardly go wrong.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:45 PM
MD79TA
Junior User
The pinging is likely timing issues, which is easily fixed, transfercases can usually be found for cheap on craigslist if the leaking one is junk, the rest of that isn't too complicated either.

For $1000 you can't hardly go wrong.
That's what I figured, not much more than scrap value really. Just have to figure a way to get it home. $300 for a tow is the estimates I'm getting. Uhaul trailers are too small for an F250 so I can't go get it myself

Old 09-07-2014, 02:18 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't disagree with anything said here, just 2 more cents.

For $1000 in that part of the country I think either of the 97s is a heck of a deal. I haven't seen for myself but I really get the impression that the pickings are slim there. It's that or travel to shop. The F250 and will do what you want and is in better shape, the F350(assuming 4WD) is worth double that in parts alone.

These trucks got better over the years, unless you dislike computer control a 97 is kind of an ideal. All the weak points have been worked out of the E4OD, the 10.25 has the larger pinion from 93 up, the TTB has better brakes from 96 up, I think the D60 to(brad would know this one), OBDII, etc.

I'm a fan of the king pin version of the D60 but I'd take a ball joint setup to get the better(later) brakes. The HD brakes in the majority of the F250/350s of the 80s and 90s can be troublesome.

Mileage vs. power, my general thinking is that it's easier down the road to get more power out of a 5.8 then better mileage out of a 460. A 5.8 E4OD 4.10 combination is a good combo for what you want, chances are though that it's 3.55s, not the end of the world.

Don't completely count out diesel, for you I'd completely count out a Powerstroke but I'd strongly consider an IDI(pre-94.5). A PS is an expensive engine, a IDI is a cheap simple diesel, easy to learn and cheap to own. If you come across one in your shopping pop over to the pre-powerstroke section and learn a bit before saying no.

Seems your big on the solid front axle, many are, the TTB isn't that bad though depending on your intentions. Want tall with big tires then should get a D60, thinking keep stock height, mild tires, and low is handy then absolutely a TTB is better.

Overall grab both trucks if you can, the F250 as your solid base and the F350 for parts. Maybe if the fiend with the F350 can sit on it for a while till you need it's parts and/or have the cash and you get the F250 now, that would be the ideal way to go.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:39 PM
MD79TA
Junior User
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Can't disagree with anything said here, just 2 more cents.

For $1000 in that part of the country I think either of the 97s is a heck of a deal. I haven't seen for myself but I really get the impression that the pickings are slim there. It's that or travel to shop. The F250 and will do what you want and is in better shape, the F350(assuming 4WD) is worth double that in parts alone.

These trucks got better over the years, unless you dislike computer control a 97 is kind of an ideal. All the weak points have been worked out of the E4OD, the 10.25 has the larger pinion from 93 up, the TTB has better brakes from 96 up, I think the D60 to(brad would know this one), OBDII, etc.

I'm a fan of the king pin version of the D60 but I'd take a ball joint setup to get the better(later) brakes. The HD brakes in the majority of the F250/350s of the 80s and 90s can be troublesome.

Mileage vs. power, my general thinking is that it's easier down the road to get more power out of a 5.8 then better mileage out of a 460. A 5.8 E4OD 4.10 combination is a good combo for what you want, chances are though that it's 3.55s, not the end of the world.

Don't completely count out diesel, for you I'd completely count out a Powerstroke but I'd strongly consider an IDI(pre-94.5). A PS is an expensive engine, a IDI is a cheap simple diesel, easy to learn and cheap to own. If you come across one in your shopping pop over to the pre-powerstroke section and learn a bit before saying no.

Seems your big on the solid front axle, many are, the TTB isn't that bad though depending on your intentions. Want tall with big tires then should get a D60, thinking keep stock height, mild tires, and low is handy then absolutely a TTB is better.

Overall grab both trucks if you can, the F250 as your solid base and the F350 for parts. Maybe if the fiend with the F350 can sit on it for a while till you need it's parts and/or have the cash and you get the F250 now, that would be the ideal way to go.
You are right that the pickings are pretty slim where I am, rust kills quickly especially if a truck was used to plow. The 97 F250 was never a plow truck, the 97 F350 was.

I have no plans to lift the truck and put big tires on it, that's not my thing. I have the idea in my mind of potentially getting both and putting them together to make one great truck. The F350 is not listed for sale, just sitting at his shop broken so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I will continue to keep my eyes open, the cost of towing the 250 home is crazy, might grab the title and register it and drive it home....if it makes it, lol.

Both trucks are 4X4.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:13 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MD79TA
You are right that the pickings are pretty slim where I am, rust kills quickly especially if a truck was used to plow. The 97 F250 was never a plow truck, the 97 F350 was.

I have no plans to lift the truck and put big tires on it, that's not my thing. I have the idea in my mind of potentially getting both and putting them together to make one great truck. The F350 is not listed for sale, just sitting at his shop broken so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I will continue to keep my eyes open, the cost of towing the 250 home is crazy, might grab the title and register it and drive it home....if it makes it, lol.

Both trucks are 4X4.
Sounds pretty settled then, the 97 F250.

On the TTB and your use, the TTB from knuckle out is all but the same as a D60, most parts interchange, same hubs, bearings, etc. So it will take the weight of the plow and aftermarket hubs are plentiful. As said before for your uses plan on more traditional locking hubs, junkyard stock ones or ones maybe off that F350 will go right on and are cheap or free and plenty strong.

Also as said before the biggest issue with the TTB for your uses is that alignment is effected a lot by ride height and short up travel stock, there are many solutions to this. One I've always thought a good idea but never tried myself(I don't drive a TTB anymore) is to add an air helper spring to it. So in your intended use when you put on the plow you put air in the bags to level it with the additional weight.

As for towing the F250 home, have you looked around at less traditional ways? Often there are cheap tow guys that just use a pickup and trailer, or those that will rent out there personally owned trailer. Search craigslist for guys like this or put in to get bids on U-ship, it might surprise you who is out there to haul it for you cheap.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
These trucks got better over the years... OBDII, etc.
Minor point, but you aren't real likely to find OBDII in the heavier trucks. F-150s and apparently some F-250s switched to it (in '96?). But at least the heavier F-250s and I'd guess the F-350s stayed with the EEC-IV (except in California). My '97 F-250 Crew Cab is EEC-IV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90's F250 vs F350