General Automotive Discussion
View Poll Results: Should the next gen Ford F Series have a manual transmission option?
Yes, but only the F150
1.64%
Yes, but only the Super Duty models
3.28%
Yes, but only the PowerStroke Super Duty models.
3.28%
Yes, all F Series trucks should have a manual option.
77.05%
No. We dont need a manual transmission.
14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Do you want a manual transmission in your new Ford F Series?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:01 AM
jwehrer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very dismayed here. I was just looking to buy a new superduty and was shocked to find I couldn't get one with a 6-speed I've had a 56 F-100, a 67 F-100, a 79 F-150 and I currently have a 01 F-350. All with manuals and I'm one that doesn't like anything but a stick. In anything. Even the family car had a stick shift! So, I guess I'll have to look at the ...gasp!... a Dodge as I hear they still offer a stick shift in their diesels.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:15 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
oh no.not the stick shift trans again.stick a fork in 'em guys.those are done.

Originally Posted by BIGKEN
Not BS...facts...if enough were sold in the past and it was profitable...Ford would offer it. 24 +/- respondents to your poll hardly represent reality.
yup.that's exactly it right there.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:41 PM
jwehrer
New User
That's too bad. I guess I didn't realize there was such a small number of people out there that still wanted a real truck. I will pursue my needs with a different brand. Just like I did when America quit making SUV's with manual transmissions.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 PM
phoskins
Elder User
jwehrer - Good luck with another brand! Only Dodge has manual transmissions available in their full-size trucks.

The trend, in general, for ALL VEHICLES, going forward, will be computerized automatic transmissions. Yes, you'll be able to get manual transmissions in some vehicles for a while, still, but with the tight control on emissions, fuel economy, and all the other bullcrap, the manual transmission's days are, UNFORTUNATELY, limited.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
the manual trans days with a dodge diesel are numbered too. maybe 2 more years. the last i heard they will no longer be available sometime in the 2016 model year.
that is why the big three are investing millions of dollars developing a reliable auto trans with more gears. the current design has 8 speeds, and it looks like the final product will be a 10 speed.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:10 PM
phoskins
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the manual trans days with a dodge diesel are numbered too. maybe 2 more years. the last i heard they will no longer be available sometime in the 2016 model year.
that is why the big three are investing millions of dollars developing a reliable auto trans with more gears. the current design has 8 speeds, and it looks like the final product will be a 10 speed.

And each gear will cost $1,000......

I hope not only reliable, but DURABLE and problem-free.... I'm not getting my hopes up! If I see companies start offering 100,000-mile powertrain warranties, I'll consider it.

My #1 complaint is that vehicles are so complicated now, if something does go wrong, it costs a fortune to get it fixed.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:04 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
our 2011 and 2013 6.7 powered trucks have a 100k powertrain warranty.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:11 AM
jwehrer
New User
Thanks. I'll go to where it takes me to get me what I want. I will never own an automatic. I'm not spending that kind of money to not get what I want. It's as simple as that.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The idea that the manual is dead because of emissions is poppy ****.

If that was true you certainly wouldn't see them in sports cars.

It is nothing more than demand based on marketing decisions.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,097 Posts
I have no stake in this issue or poll other than to remind us of this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...our-fault.html

A few members here won't cause Ford to change its mind.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:02 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My #1 complaint is that vehicles are so complicated now, if something does go wrong, it costs a fortune to get it fixed.
They are complicated and they are expensive to begin with. Personally, I think to a certain degree both these issues are driven by the never ending quest for greater fuel efficiency (and lesser emissions). Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:58 AM
UnionHauler690
Junior User
Here is the mentality of a lot of today's younger drivers.......

"how am I supposed to shift this manual tranny if I have a cigarette in one hand, and a smartphone in the other?"

Old 02-20-2016, 09:54 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by UnionHauler690
Here is the mentality of a lot of today's younger drivers.......

"how am I supposed to shift this manual tranny if I have a cigarette in one hand, a redbull in the second hand, and a smartphone in the third?"
fixed it fer ya!!

Old 02-20-2016, 11:56 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Agree that its a moot point which is too bad. Manual is better on MPG / towing and repair costs (less complicated means less money to fix) and last longer. My new '15 F250 6.7 is a electronic controlled monster that I have no hope of doing anything to except changing the fluid.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Anyone who has driven a gas vehicle with throttle-by-wire and a manual will tell you to get an auto. Thanks to emissions regulations, basically all gassers have throttle-by-wire setups now, instead of the classic direct connection. This allows the computer to have more consistent control over the emissions. When throttle position changes quickly, a burst of HC and CO is released, so they intentionally move it more slowly. Slow throttle response with a manual means stalling, poor shifts, and a rough drive. Not fun.
So, we get automatics. Be glad they have gears and not CVTs. I've driven a few cheaper CVT equipped vehicles and they are terrible.
Now, I do drive a car with a manual, my truck has a manual, the truck I am building has a manual, and if it wasn't for space my van would have one too. Instead it's going to get an E4OD in place of the C6, with an extra lockup controller to give engine braking.
I wish Ford still offered a manual honestly. My previous truck before my current 2011 F-150, was a 2003 Ford Ranger 3.0L with the 5-Speed. I gotta admit, that little 3.0L V6 was pretty gutless, but it was still a fun truck to drive just because of it's manual transmission. With that said, even had I been given the option for a manual in my 2011 F-150, I would probably have still opted for a Automatic. Now a days automatics are just the better choice in most scenarios, they are far quicker and more efficient than any human driver could possibly be.

Buuuut with that said...There's a certain gratification that goes along with rowing your own gears that just isn't attainable when you're letting a computer do it for you, efficiency be dammed. These days though, the only car I would consider a manual (actually it would be a prerequisite) would be in a car like a Mustang. Cars like Mustangs, Camaro's, Challengers...etc...etc, serve no real purpose other than to provide an enjoyable driving experience. So yes, if I were going to own a car like that...It would without question be a manual transmission with a loud V8 engine.

And I second the notion that CVT cars are AWFUL to drive. At least in my experience. I drove a 2012 Nissan Versa with a CVT once and it left a really bad taste in my mouth for CVT driven cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Do you want a manual transmission in your new Ford F Series?