Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Glow Plug Relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:51 AM
mastermidnight
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Glow Plug Relay

Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement GPR for a '90 non-turbo 7.3 IDI? I've got 3 plugs that won't come out and I don't have the money to remove them at this time. Currently have them unplugged, but GPR doesn't work without all 8 plugged in as is my understanding. Wanted to know if there is an aftermarket GPR I could use until I can get the 3 plugs removed that will power the remaining 5. Something that supplies power momentarily using the ignition switch instead of adding a momentary switch.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The GPR doesn't stop the power going to the glowplugs, the glow plug controller does that, it protects the other glowplugs from getting to much juice. you can take any wire with 12 volts and hook it up to your existing GPR, or run a wire to a push button, so you dont forget and leave them on. Get some PB Blaster, the best lube on the market, people are coming around to it now. Blows WD-40 and all the other crap away. Soak them glowplugs overnight and they will come right out in the morning.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM
mastermidnight
Freshman User
So you're saying bypass the controller and just add a momentary switch? Is there a way to add an inline momentary switch so I can still use the ignition?

I accidentally crossed the poles on my batteries and fried the GPR, didn't fix it soon enough and the result was the controller melting down and leaving the plugs on, causing some of them to incinerate. I pulled one out and the tip was completely gone. The stuck glow plugs will rotate out, but the tips have been damaged to where I can't get them out without a lot of force. I'm afraid of dropping garbage into the cylinder by forcing them and I'm trying to avoid having to take the heads off to remove them.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
i hook the glow plug to a cordless drill. then spray PB Blaster down the hole and spin the plug with the drill while gently pulling up and pushing down. spray and repeat. i have never had one that did not come out after a few minutes.
the drill spinning cuts the carbon off the tip and you lift it .

Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
mastermidnight
Freshman User
The stuck plugs will unscrew, but then reach a point where they no longer move. I'm guessing the tips have swollen and are not allowing the plugs to come out. I'm afraid of forcing them out for fear of having debris fall into the cylinder and cause damage to either the cylinder walls, piston, or valve. A couple of them were completely blown when they were removed, which leads me to believe they did at some point leave debris to be ejected. Any insight?

Thank you!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM
mastermidnight
Freshman User
Just to be clear, this all started after I accidentally crossed the battery poles when I needed to charge the batteries. After that, the wait to start light no longer came on. Since it was summer, I didn't immediately take care of it and after a 3 hour drive pulling a trailer in 90+ degree weather, the light came on and stayed on. I immediately pulled over when I realized, but the damage had been done. The GP Controller had melted down and was crackling and popping. Fortunately, I was across the street from an auto parts store and was able to get a replacement GPR and controller. It worked a couple times, then stopped working. I decided to pull the plugs and see if that helped and that's when I discovered the 3 that wouldn't come out along with a couple that had completely incinerated the tips off.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
the drill and oil will help cut the carbon off the tips until the plug is able to come out of the hole.
the small amount cut off the tips will not be of any major concern, but if you really want to you can pull the injector and put a vacuum hose in the injector hole while blowing compressed air into the glow plug hole.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
For taking carbon off, toms trick works. The problem is, you do not know if it is carbon holding the plush in or is it is swelled tips or exploded tips

Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
mastermidnight
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
For taking carbon off, toms trick works. The problem is, you do not know if it is carbon holding the plush in or is it is swelled tips or exploded tips
Are you saying Tom's method will not work if the plug has swelled or exploded tips? Have you a suggestion in this circumstance?

Thank you!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mastermidnight
Are you saying Tom's method will not work if the plug has swelled or exploded tips? Have you a suggestion in this circumstance?

Thank you!
Correct. The ONLY way to do it then is you have to pull the heads.

If the tip is swollen or exploded the tip will come off or the broken piece will fall into the cylinder. Then YOU HVAE TO PULL The head or the piston will pound the piece into the top of it

Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would without a doubt do what Tom has said try the drill and PB trick, load it up and drill forward and reverse while pushing in and out ( ya I know HA HA) you might have a chance to get a couple out that way, you got the other 5 out right? The heads are last resort! You may have too but listen to Tom, he has been there and done it.
I will hope for ya!!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 PM
mastermidnight
Freshman User
Originally Posted by David7.3
I would without a doubt do what Tom has said try the drill and PB trick, load it up and drill forward and reverse while pushing in and out ( ya I know HA HA) you might have a chance to get a couple out that way, you got the other 5 out right? The heads are last resort! You may have too but listen to Tom, he has been there and done it.
I will hope for ya!!
I appreciate your feedback. This is what I would like to do, but I am afraid of the debris falling into the cylinder. Even if there is a chance that could happen, I'd rather not gamble with it at this time when I cannot afford to have it fixed if in fact that does occur. I always prepare for the worst case scenario and at this moment, I cannot afford that.

That being said, I pose the original question of this thread. Is there a temp solution I can employ to power the 5 remaining plugs with a momentary switch powering the relay and bypassing the controller? Is there a way to keep the 5 plugs from getting too much juice so I don't kill them as well?

Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
in all the years i have been pulling stuck glow plugs with the drill method, i have only had one break a tip off, and i got that out through the injector hole with a small magnet.

all the others were cleaned up with the vacuum and compressed air method.

and that broken tip was on one of the first ones i did, because i was impatient and forced it.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 AM
mastermidnight
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
in all the years i have been pulling stuck glow plugs with the drill method, i have only had one break a tip off, and i got that out through the injector hole with a small magnet.

all the others were cleaned up with the vacuum and compressed air method.

and that broken tip was on one of the first ones i did, because i was impatient and forced it.

Thank you Tom. You're confidence in your suggestion is inspiring. I'll keep you updated on how it turns out.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
just remember, slow and steady. if you feel you are getting impatient, walk away and take a break.

Quick Reply: Replacement Glow Plug Relay