6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Blakegregory
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help no start

Hey guys. I've got an 07 f250 Harley edition. Arp studs, sct tuner, and well maintained. Truck didn't start this morning. Ficm is good at 48v sync is at 1. My ipr is showing 7-15 and sparatically spikes to 300-400. I changed the ipr to try that since I already had a brand new one on hand. My icp is at 15% before cranking and spikes to 85% during cranking. My thought would be hpop. My gauge on oil pressure on truck doesn't show oil pressure building during cranking. However with the ipr reading 7-15 during cranking I would be inclined to think my lpop is working. It's just not showing on my dash gauge. Please help guys as the hpop is expensive and I don't wanna waste money. This is my first post but you guys have helped numerous times from diagnosing blown heads to finding a bad ficm. Thanks. Blake

Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakegregory
Hey guys. I've got an 07 f250 Harley edition. Arp studs, sct tuner, and well maintained. Truck didn't start this morning. Ficm is good at 48v sync is at 1. My ipr is showing 7-15 and sparatically spikes to 300-400. I changed the ipr to try that since I already had a brand new one on hand. My icp is at 15% before cranking and spikes to 85% during cranking. My thought would be hpop. My gauge on oil pressure on truck doesn't show oil pressure building during cranking. However with the ipr reading 7-15 during cranking I would be inclined to think my lpop is working. It's just not showing on my dash gauge. Please help guys as the hpop is expensive and I don't wanna waste money. This is my first post but you guys have helped numerous times from diagnosing blown heads to finding a bad ficm. Thanks. Blake
Could be stand pipes and dummy plugs?
IPR is def. Way too low. Do you have oem oil filter and cap? What are cranking RPM? Also I would think dummy gage should move unless it was broken if you had good lpop.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 AM
f350project
Senior User
Think you have IPR and ICP mixed up. ICP shows HPOP pressure and you need between 500-550 psi to start. IPR is in % and that's duty cycle (basically how much oil its letting thru depending on demand)
From what you said you seem to have a pretty good monitor. I would be more worried about the ICP reaching the required 500-550 psi. If the gauge on the dash does not move after a long crank you need to figure out if its a bad gauge (sender) or if you have no oil pressure from the LPOP. Easiest way to do that remove the oil filter and depress the check valve the filter holds down and have someone crank the engine, the housing should fill with oil and you just verified LPOP is good. Your IPR jumps to 85% so You might have a HPOP system leak somewhere. You can also try starting with the ICP unplugged and see what happens. So did you change the IPR or ICP?

Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Blakegregory
New User
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
Could be stand pipes and dummy plugs?
IPR is def. Way too low. Do you have oem oil filter and cap? What are cranking RPM? Also I would think dummy gage should move unless it was broken if you had good lpop.
I don't have a fitting to blow air into the icp port so I'm not sure if it's leaking however when I removed the icp oil was to the top of the hole. Makes me think it's not leaking there. I have oem filters and caps

Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Blakegregory
New User
Originally Posted by f350project
Think you have IPR and ICP mixed up. ICP shows HPOP pressure and you need between 500-550 psi to start. IPR is in % and that's duty cycle (basically how much oil its letting thru depending on demand)
From what you said you seem to have a pretty good monitor. I would be more worried about the ICP reaching the required 500-550 psi. If the gauge on the dash does not move after a long crank you need to figure out if its a bad gauge (sender) or if you have no oil pressure from the LPOP. Easiest way to do that remove the oil filter and depress the check valve the filter holds down and have someone crank the engine, the housing should fill with oil and you just verified LPOP is good. Your IPR jumps to 85% so You might have a HPOP system leak somewhere. You can also try starting with the ICP unplugged and see what happens. So did you change the IPR or ICP?
I unplugged the icp and still no crank. I changed the ipr. The one directly mounted to the hpop under/behind the turbo

Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 AM
f350project
Senior User
I unplugged the icp and still no crank. I changed the ipr. The one directly mounted to the hpop under/behind the turbo
Recommend you verify LPOP is good via the filter housing then. '07 HPOP rarely fail unless you have the old STC fitting on the HPOP, those blow out all the time. Like KDAVID1 says it could be the standpipes or dummy plugs, rail nipples, injector o-rings. You will need to verify the HPOP system isn't leaking. Oi at the top when you remove the ICP sensor just means the rails have oil in it.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Blakegregory
New User
Originally Posted by f350project
Recommend you verify LPOP is good via the filter housing then. '07 HPOP rarely fail unless you have the old STC fitting on the HPOP, those blow out all the time. Like KDAVID1 says it could be the standpipes or dummy plugs, rail nipples, injector o-rings. You will need to verify the HPOP system isn't leaking. Oi at the top when you remove the ICP sensor just means the rails have oil in it.
Ok. I will try to find one of the fittings to blow air into my icp fitting after I verify the lpop is working. I think I have the new style hpop as it doesn't have the ball bearing on the side

Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Blakegregory
New User
Does anyone know where I can get the fitting or do I goto local hardware store and make it myself?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:12 AM
f350project
Senior User
Does anyone know where I can get the fitting or do I goto local hardware store and make it myself?
I made mine myself.
You need a NPT 1/8" threaded fitting that will also fit on the male end of an air fitting.
Amazon.com: Equus 9848 Oil Pressure and Electronic Temperature Metric Adapter Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Equus 9848 Oil Pressure and Electronic Temperature Metric Adapter Kit: Automotive
A hardware store should have it. Just match the threads on your ICP sensor and if you have air tools just disassemble one of your fittings and match them up.
You can also order them from Ebay.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
The fitting you need is a M12X1.5 to 1/8" NPT and you can find it at your local hydraulic shop. And my bet is also on the standpipes, dummy plugs and or STC fitting.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:52 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought one yesterday, stopped by the International dealer and they wanted over $100.00, went to a hydrolic shop and it cost me $7.00 without the air chuck. I would recommend a short chunk of hose and a ball valve to help isolate the system and make it easier to connect and disconnect the air chuck.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Got mine from mcmaster carr got a 10mm and 12mm

Using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Blakegregory
New User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
The fitting you need is a M12X1.5 to 1/8" NPT and you can find it at your local hydraulic shop. And my bet is also on the standpipes, dummy plugs and or STC fitting.
I got the fitting and put air in the system. I can hear air moving (gurgling) sound in the oil fill tube. And also coming from the hpop area. The sound is not loud but I only have 80 psi running to it

Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
I got the fitting and put air in the system. I can hear air moving (gurgling) sound in the oil fill tube. And also coming from the hpop area. The sound is not loud but I only have 80 psi running to it
Did you command the IPR closed for the test?

Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Blakegregory
New User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Did you command the IPR closed for the test?
No. But I took the valve cover off the passenger side and put the air to it again. I definitely heard a leak then. Sounds like it's coming from the tube off the oil rail. When I unbolted the oil rail it came right off the tube. The tube stayed in the head. Is there an easy way to get the tube out without using pliers. I don't want to mess it up pulling it out

Quick Reply: Help no start