1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1964 F250 4X4 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Have you looked into using a reverse rotation Saginaw box in the stock location?
Not really looked to hard into it, I know you had some posts going back a few years and didn't know if you followed through? Clutch linkage would be problematic - not so much linkage as the Z bar, or whatever you wanna call it.

That would be ideal though. I guess you want me to Guinnie pig that one? Lol :-

I've been busy putting new floor pans in I got from DC, nice and thick but a little off here and there. No complaints really, would recommend DC to others.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 AM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964FORDTUF
Not really looked to hard into it, I know you had some posts going back a few years and didn't know if you followed through? Clutch linkage would be problematic - not so much linkage as the Z bar, or whatever you wanna call it.

That would be ideal though. I guess you want me to Guinnie pig that one? Lol :-
I had so much trouble lately with the power steering on a couple of my trucks (really random and freak deals) that I have turned into a huge proponent of manual steering.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 520 Likes on 413 Posts
I had so much trouble lately with the power steering on a couple of my trucks (really random and freak deals) that I have turned into a huge proponent of manual steering.
Ya, when the power steering goes out on my 1999 Dodge RAM 2500 with the hydroboost system - then I lose my brakes at the same time - great design! NOT!!!

Old 07-11-2016, 08:28 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Yeah, I know. I'm a bit torn as it is. I've got the gemmer connected for now to steer it in and out of the garage. But the 3.5turns to one side from center is madness...I looked into electric steering. You cut the steering shaft and install the electric assist in between (inside the cab). For that money I still have the gemmer box...decisions, decisions.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:14 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964FORDTUF
Yeah, I know. I'm a bit torn as it is. I've got the gemmer connected for now to steer it in and out of the garage. But the 3.5turns to one side from center is madness...I looked into electric steering. You cut the steering shaft and install the electric assist in between (inside the cab). For that money I still have the gemmer box...decisions, decisions.

Classic Car and Truck Brake, Steering and Suspension Parts

Might be able to be easily made to fit...

Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Classic Car and Truck Brake, Steering and Suspension Parts

Might be able to be easily made to fit...
Still stuck with a 6.5 lock to lock gemmer...the actual lack of power doesn't really bother me it's the friggin ratio.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:20 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
MINT

So here's the mint green. I'm thinking hell yes....

Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Coming along...

Back in the garage and back at the 64. Coming along now, I have some time and maybe get it fired up before Santa comes this year.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Ar. Hillbilly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey y'all new guy here. I hang out in the bull nose section.I just read this thread from the start. It makes me want to cry. A few yeas back I missed out on a 64 4x4 all original but rough. In my younger days I put a 64 body on a 75 150 4x4 frame with power assist. I was young and poor but I did get it done. Some years later a kid wouldn't leave me alone about it and I sold it. I'm thinking I want a 76 f 150 4x4 with a 65 or 66 cab. I can't seem to find either in decent shape to start with.
I'm so very impressed with this build. I'll keep watching with envy.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Ar. Hillbilly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing. I really like the color.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ar. Hillbilly
One more thing. I really like the color.
Thank you. Its been 3 years now and Ive made some changes in direction but overall I guess I am just plain enjoying the heck out of this truck. And now finally the majority of it is all coming together and I have the time on my hands to spend with it. You will find this website and many folks on here super helpful. Thanks again, more pics in the coming weeks....

Old 09-29-2016, 12:24 AM
GenX66
5th Wheeling
Yeh Im diggin the mint green too. My truck is a government mint style green that looks a little darker than yours and I planned on matching it up when I do the body...but now, after seeing yours I may go lighter...still sticking with green though really like this color for these old trucks. In any event great build! I too worked out of Dutch back in the late 80's for K Fisheries crabbin...Spent my last night in Dutch on the far spit in a WW2 pillbox cause there were no more rooms available to crash in for my flight out the next day...boat had already left...it was in late Feb and the weather was as nasty as it gets, but that old pillbox was actually pretty comfy! Slept on the original wooden fold down bench/bed that was next to where the original gun was... Slept like a baby though it was stormin like hell outside on the beach. Made me have a deep respect for the guys who were originally stationed up there back during the war...anyway blah blah sorry...memories. Like the mint green though and lookin forward to seeing you finish your truck!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:35 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Originally Posted by GenX66
Yeh Im diggin the mint green too. My truck is a government mint style green that looks a little darker than yours and I planned on matching it up when I do the body...but now, after seeing yours I may go lighter...still sticking with green though really like this color for these old trucks. In any event great build! I too worked out of Dutch back in the late 80's for K Fisheries crabbin...Spent my last night in Dutch on the far spit in a WW2 pillbox cause there were no more rooms available to crash in for my flight out the next day...boat had already left...it was in late Feb and the weather was as nasty as it gets, but that old pillbox was actually pretty comfy! Slept on the original wooden fold down bench/bed that was next to where the original gun was... Slept like a baby though it was stormin like hell outside on the beach. Made me have a deep respect for the guys who were originally stationed up there back during the war...anyway blah blah sorry...memories. Like the mint green though and lookin forward to seeing you finish your truck!
Thanks, appreciate the kind words. Slowly re-assembling and spending lots of time on details so it's a pleasure to drive all the way around.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:52 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Updated Build Pics and Power Brake News:

Hi All -
Been busy so posting pics has not been high on the list. Essentially, the cab is on, the front and rear glass is in, I made a custom gauge cluster, completely re-sealed the engine with all new gaskets (its low miles does not need rebuild), installed Sanderson headers and now waiting for them to send me a re-bend for pass side... ,gone through all wiring harnesses for cab / interior, and now getting back to some mechanical mods (power brakes). The pic I took is with a late 77 4x4 (not high boy) stock power brake booster. I took this off the donor along with all the other brake components. It will fit. there is more than ½ inch of clearance between the booster and hood with hood closed. These booster / master cyl units can be purchased as re-man for reasonable cost - fyi. Onward and upward...

Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 PM
1964FORDTUF
Elder User
Heater Controls Custom Cab / Recirc

Hi all -

I picked out a recirc box and the OEM bracket for heater controls that mounts beneath dash for same. Anyone have a pic of their Custom Cab heater controls on the lower bracket? See pic...hard to see but there are two holes for control cables...thanks!

Quick Reply: 1964 F250 4X4 Build Thread