1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT:Taking a long trip, Keep an eye out for me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Frank, make sure the truck is running tiptop before you go north of I-80 in Nevada. There is nothing up in the northwest corner of Nevada and southeast Oregon (lowest population density in the lower 48 states). That is serious badlands with no cell service in large areas. I'd really reconsider going northwest of Winnemucca. Stay on 80 to Reno and then north on 395 to 44 at Susanville to 89 to I-5 at Mount Shasta. I'd be glad to keep an eye out for you...good luck and keep the greasy side down . I drive on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday next week (part of that route to Redding, CA).

Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Neil gives good advice. Southeast Oregon is no-man's land. There was a work crew that went missing for several days there - in their broken-down truck. This is the kind of story you usually hear about on in the wilderness - not on the open road. I have a pocket EPIRB for situations like that.

Northeast California is a well-traveled route, but there is a section or two of hairy roads for pulling a 5er. Get the wind forecast if you take this route. Welcome to the Wild West.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tugly
Neil gives good advice. Southeast Oregon is no-man's land. There was a work crew that went missing for several days there - in their broken-down truck. This is the kind of story you usually hear about on in the wilderness - not on the open road. I have a pocket EPIRB for situations like that.

Northeast California is a well-traveled route, but there is a section or two of hairy roads for pulling a 5er. Get the wind forecast if you take this route. Welcome to the Wild West.
Wind is always a factor along 395, but after that it is largely a non-factor. People have died on the edge of the road in northwest Nevada after breaking down. It is nothing to fool with and the same goes for southeast Oregon. There is no where on that ropute I gave Frank that is hairy to drive with a fiver...easy going through the mountains.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 AM
tpull3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take Neal and Rich's advice. West to Reno then north on 395. Have a safe trip and welcome to the left coast.

Tom

Old 09-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
There is no where on that ropute I gave Frank that is hairy to drive with a fiver...easy going through the mountains.

I've driven every route possible between Reno and home - many times. I was thinking of that stretch of 44 climbing out of Susanville - and the grade coming off the plateau at Old Station. I do remember putting it hard to the engine braking, depending on the direction of travel. Other than those interesting spots, plus the drive along the dry lake (wind hazard), it's a fantastic drive. It's my favorite route, it's cool to watch Shasta grow in the windshield for so many miles.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Thank you for all of the advice and well wishes. I'll def look into going into Reno to 395. I don't want to be broke down and lost forever.
Thanks to those who have pm'd me their cell numbers.
It's comforting knowing that I have friends along the way to help out if needed.
You guys are awesome!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
I've driven every route possible between Reno and home - many times. I was thinking of that stretch of 44 climbing out of Susanville - and the grade coming off the plateau at Old Station. I do remember putting it hard to the engine braking, depending on the direction of travel. Other than those interesting spots, plus the drive along the dry lake (wind hazard), it's a fantastic drive. It's my favorite route, it's cool to watch Shasta grow in the windshield for so many miles.
Good advice! Rich is right, that hill leaving Susanville is a steep one but at least you will be going UP. Going down with the hard turn at the bottom is a bit of a bother. The one coming down into Old Station is no day at the beach but at least there is
flat ground at the bottom. My place is about 13 miles North of there in Hat Creek, give a honk after you pass the post office!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Safe Trip Frank!!!! Going to be hard to make a RRE way out there.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck and safe travels. 500+ miles is going to be a challenge. I'm just finishing up my trip and most days we drove between 200 and 300 miles.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by binuya
Safe travels, and may He watch over you and your equipment the entire voyage.
Thanks brother.

Originally Posted by bigb56
If you ever decide to take the Southern route I am just off the I-10 in Tucson if you get into trouble. (with the truck that is, if you get into trouble with the scotch you're on your own).
Good looking out.
Originally Posted by 00Dave
Travel safely my friend. Your route doesn't bring you through Oklahoma, so I will just send up a word to the man upstairs to keep you safe during your travels.
Appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Smokiesman
Hey Franko ya all have a safe trip there pard! Keep us informed of your progress and how the truck is doing! Just remember our little chat ! If the libs get ya down we got lots of nice quiet space here in the Smokies for a old deezel driver!

Smokie
Lol. I'll keep that in mind smokie.
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Have a nice trip Frank. Take your time and enjoy it. Its always nice if we're not in a hurry. What city in Oregon? Good Elk hunting in the eastern part.
I'll be near Grants Pass. I'm getting out of the big city.

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Enjoy the road Franko! Don't forget that covenient Mason jar to save a stop once in a while.

If you get by Bonneville Sept 4-9 and have time, World of Speed.

Post up your location once in a while. And a pic of your lunch, that's often entertaining.
Good advice. I sure will.

Originally Posted by bdpotts
YESSSS!!!
safe trip
thats awesome
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tugly
Good Luck Franko72! I've driven some of your route, but not all. That looks like Medford is your destination - pretty country, and home of the Yellow Tape. Winters are tame, but summers are wild - it gets pretty hot.

It also looks very close to Grants Pass - it's hard to tell from that map. Whatever the case, that's pretty country. A nice drive will get you to Highway 101 on the California/Oregon coast - and that is nothing like driving the Florida coast.
Looking forward to the west coast. I know hot all too well here...
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Frank, make sure the truck is running tiptop before you go north of I-80 in Nevada. There is nothing up in the northwest corner of Nevada and southeast Oregon (lowest population density in the lower 48 states). That is serious badlands with no cell service in large areas. I'd really reconsider going northwest of Winnemucca. Stay on 80 to Reno and then north on 395 to 44 at Susanville to 89 to I-5 at Mount Shasta. I'd be glad to keep an eye out for you...good luck and keep the greasy side down . I drive on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday next week (part of that route to Redding, CA).
Thanks for the advice. I've changed my route. 395 it is!
Originally Posted by tpull3
Take Neal and Rich's advice. West to Reno then north on 395. Have a safe trip and welcome to the left coast.

Tom
Why thank you.

Originally Posted by Deluxe06
Safe Trip Frank!!!! Going to be hard to make a RRE way out there.
I'll follow Clays convoy on a motorcycle
Originally Posted by jspence105
Good luck and safe travels. 500+ miles is going to be a challenge. I'm just finishing up my trip and most days we drove between 200 and 300 miles.
It will be. But I'll daydream & talk to my dog to pass the time.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Made it about 20 miles north of Atlanta & it's nap time.
Truck has been running great so far!
Only 2630 more miles to go...

Old 09-06-2014, 09:25 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Franko72
Made it about 20 miles north of Atlanta & it's nap time.
Truck has been running great so far!
Only 2630 more miles to go...
You stopped for the night Frank?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Thank You for the update. I have been wondering where you might be on your journey. When you get close to Nebraska let us know. I am way north of your route but still curious of your progress, and if you need any help to be there for you.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:28 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Frank your about 40 miles from me. Exit 350 on I-75. Holler if ya need something. I am in Nashville rolling home shortly.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:23 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Well I would have liked to met you but am glad you didn't need to call in Hotlanta. Glad to hear the truck is running smooth. Be safe and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: OT:Taking a long trip, Keep an eye out for me.