1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What's the longest you've ran your truck without shutting it off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:55 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel engines do not omit very much co.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
how do you increase the idle to 1000rpm? got a mod to make that happen? how can i get it.
I have a DP Tuner which has high idle tunes, one for 1100 and another one for 1100 with exhaust valve closed for warm up.

I also have a factory auxiliary idle controller so I can set the truck to maintain any idle speed I want on demand

Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
May I strongly suggest those that sleep with it running to please get a carbon monoxide detector? It could prevent you from having a really peaceful sleep at just the right time.

How would exhaust get into the cab?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
On my drives to Northern New Mexico and back I don't shut it down, but we are only talking 10 hours or so. When I had my 6.9 I was returning to Arizona from Vermont with a cabover camper. It was hot and humid in NM and stopped in a truck stop and left it idle with the AC running while I slept for a good six hours. Pulling back onto the highway I only went a few miles when I smelled coolant and looked at the gauge, she was pegged. For whatever reason the thermostat never opened after that long idle.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
I ran a high idle when I had my welder but now I only use it if I am using jumper cables. I do like the low idle tune however in the drive-through
I am very interested in the low idle tune though, I wish i got that instead. Can't tell you how many times i went through the drive-through and got yelled at they can't hear me so i had to shut down.

I don't think i have ever used the high idle setting, ever, Even jumping someoneone. Should have loaded the quiet tune instead.

How effeciently would that drive through tune work on long idle times? 650 RPM stay the same for heater and AC to work properly? Would be nice to pull into a rest stop for the night and idle quietly to not wake up the other folks sleeping with their feet out the windows.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont know for sure, but i wouldnt reccommend the low idle for extended times. Each time that i have done it for more than say 5-10 mins i can get a strong unburnt fuel smell thru the exhaust and when i do switch back to normal she smokes like a big dog for quite some time until it all clears up. Thats only 5-10 mins, i couldnt imagine over nite, i would think that it would dump excess unburnt fuel or possibly contribute to the "wet stacking" issue that some talk about....

Old 09-05-2014, 11:04 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Over the years from time to time there have been discussions on wet stacking. I believe the general consensus on our trucks is that they are not susceptible to wet stacking at normal idle speed, but it would be interesting to know more about it from people who have had lots of experience with it.

I also have an old Mercedes 300, which from what I have read can idle for days with no issues. Some of the guys on the Mercedes forum have used them to power inverters during power outages, and I know of at least one airline stewardess based out of O'Hare that would leave her Benz idling in the employee parking lot when she was gone on flights in the winter.

In any case I do believe extended idling may not cause any serious issues, but may contribute to overall shorter engine life. I don't see anything wrong with 20 or 30 minute idle times followed by hours of highway driving.

It gets so hot here we don't like to shut them down just because of the AC.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bigb56
Over the years from time to time there have been discussions on wet stacking. I believe the general consensus on our trucks is that they are not susceptible to wet stacking at normal idle speed, but it would be interesting to know more about it from people who have had lots of experience with it.

I also have an old Mercedes 300, which from what I have read can idle for days with no issues. Some of the guys on the Mercedes forum have used them to power inverters during power outages, and I know of at least one airline stewardess based out of O'Hare that would leave her Benz idling in the employee parking lot when she was gone on flights in the winter.

In any case I do believe extended idling may not cause any serious issues, but may contribute to overall shorter engine life. I don't see anything wrong with 20 or 30 minute idle times followed by hours of highway driving.

It gets so hot here we don't like to shut them down just because of the AC.

Why would you say idling contributes to shorter engine life? Seems like driving or towing would out a lot more strain on the engine...

Old 09-06-2014, 09:19 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 90pioneer
Why would you say idling contributes to shorter engine life? Seems like driving or towing would out a lot more strain on the engine...

It's just what I think but I am no expert. I am basing it on less lubrication when idling. It would be nice to hear from some experts on the subject though.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:25 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
My major concern with idling is that if the engine runs too cool, oil dilution can occur. This would lead to oil dilution which would likely shorten bearing life. Wet stacking on my 8V92 engine is real, so real Detroit Diesel put a high idle (1100 rpm) switch on the electronics of the engine.

Here is a good article on "wet stacking" for the interested.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:16 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Good article. Good description. I havent experienced that when normal idling, but that is exactly what i have experienced when using the low idle for as little as 10 min., much less all night. I would not do the low idle for these type scenarios as danskool was asking....

Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the info on the low idle tune (drive thru tune) If I ever send the chip in for another program or for a slight adjustment, I think I will get that program for the drive thru’s

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Drive through tune/ low idle tune on my truck would bellow white smoke that was just raw fuel pouring out of the exhaust. That was after a couple minutes. It never made the truck quiet enough to use at a drive through. The best thing it was for me was a conversation tune to talk to someone who walked up to the truck window or to show someone what it would do.

I've read somewhere that 1 hour idling is equal to driving 25 miles.

There was thread awhile back of a brother in Alaska who got stuck on an adventure in the snow. The snow was higher then the bottom of the doors and his exhaust was cut off under the cab. He dug a tunnel for the exhaust to escape and slept in the truck all night. He was just fine. That was a good thread, nice pictures and an awesome story.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Some drive thrus it works fine, others not so much. I think it depends more on the location of surrounding objects that bounce the sound back up towards the mic or away from it.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 AM
WoodHacker
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Franko72
Drove most of the way then slept 5-6 hrs in the back seat on high idle.
High idle? How do you do that? Lean something against the pedal?

NEVERMIND. I read the rest of the thread

Quick Reply: What's the longest you've ran your truck without shutting it off?