1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Anyone run the military 37x12.5r16.5 rim/tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 PM
cblade1993
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone run the military 37x12.5r16.5 rim/tire

I just recently got my hands on a set of military humvee take offs and was wondering what is the shortest lift and smallest wheel spacer needed to run them. The offset of these rims is causing me to rub the frame before I can even mount them. I was thinking of putting my grandpa's old dually spacers on to clear, but then the tires are rubbing the fenders. Any help and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:33 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Dan had a 3" risk and spaced the front bumper.his wheels were not stockers.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
for what its worth, i've got 33 x 12.5 x 16.5's on my truck. i've actually run the same wheels and tires on both my F250 and F350, both at stock height.

they are on American Racing wheels though, and they have a pretty good outward offset to them. i can take some pics if you want.

i've never rubbed anywhere with them.

i'd also like to get my hands on some 37's, but don't want to pay full price :-)

Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
cblade1993, Welcome!!

Put some details about your truck in your signature please, for all I know you have a F150.

I just put on 37x12.5x16.5 on my truck. Wheels are 9.75" wide and about 4.5" of backspacing. The front end is 1/2" below stock F350 4x4 height but a reverse shackle kit is on order to lift it 2" which should level it with the rear. Because of the aftermarket bumper I have zero rubbing lock to lock.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM
jrods2
Freshman User
military tires

My son in law put a set on a chev truck and I borrowed it from him to haul a couple of motors. I noticed the only thing he checked was the air in the rt. frnt tire. I got about a 1/2 mile from my destination and the truck started drifting to the culvert, nothing I did made a difference, wound up hitting the culvert at 4+ MPH, totaled the truck due to engine coming threw the cab. cops measured the grass from start to impact was 160 ft. Cause of accident was defective USED MILITARY HUMVEE TIRES, my son in law paid for that one. Don't even use them if your going to go on the street(maybe off road use only) MILITARY TIRES ARE NOT APPROVED FOR THE STREET, YOU WILL GET A TICKET FOR THEM. I got lucky had seat belt on.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:52 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
jrods2,

What does the son in law checking the air in the one tire mean, was it constantly low on air?

And what was the defect in the tire?

I do appreciate your concern. I am trying to be an informed user of these tires.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LeoJr's looks very similar to mine, except mine's a dually. So, I already have the dually hubs on the front. Mind you, with the used rims I got, I have to flip them around so they'd fit inside the fenders. I put the bushwacker 3" extended flares on and moved the bumper ahead. Also, I installed the Sky manufacturing RSK. Gave a 3" lift according to the manufacturers. Only have 1" over stock on back, but I've got the dually flares. I'm running single in the back.
Been running them since '07. Gonna run them for a long time to come.
Have pics of my rig in my gallery.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

So far i've put 50,000 miles (not KM) on them. pulling my 1978 32' 5th wheel, loads of gravel, etc. They are only rated for 60mph, so don't speed.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Just an aside, if they weren't legal for street use, the military wouldn't be driving on the public roads either. Aslo, they do clearly say 'Military' on the dise, but non street use tires are required to have 'Not for street use" or something like that moulded on the sidewall. That may not be the case in the States, but that's how it works north of 49.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:28 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My .02$
I've run several sets of these on various trucks and bought them directly from a Limestone AFB dismantler here in Maine where they rehab the H1 military hummers. The only real glaring problem with these is that if, "if" they get run flat they will have compromised sidewalls, they may and do still inflate and function but they are not nearly as trustworthy as the take offs that haven't been run flat. If you pay close attention to the side wall of the tires when you pick a set out you can see a faint swirl pattern on them if they've been run flat or not. Obviously its harder to make a decision if your ordering them and having them shipped but just FYI...

Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 AM
jrods2
Freshman User
All I know is the tire failed at 45 mph. If I"d have known more about these tires I would never have used the truck to haul over a thousand lbs of engines to my .my shop. These tires were designed to do a multitude of things and were not designed to be run on the street for extended periods. military convoys travel at 45 mph. Anyway it's over and done. Application is the result

Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jrods2
If I"d have known more about these tires I would never have used the truck
I find lots of opinions and many people don't like them, but facts are what matter to me.

I do know that most 16.5" rims do not have a safety bead. My opinion is that those that do, they are not really very effective unless they are very large in size and from the few pics I've seen they are not.

I do know that the bead seat is 11 degrees rather than the 5* of typical auto/light truck tires. I don't know the advantages of the steeper angle but I do know that this steeper angle makes the air pressure an important part of keeping the bead seated.

I have not read the 60 mph rating until is was said here. I'll consider it 'advice' until I can validate it elsewhere.

Any more facts?

Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No "facts" but these tires in good condition will run 80 mph ALL day long on the interstate, I've done it, I've got friends who've done it, their fine.. That being said, it's totally at your own risk and those around you running a used tire. You have to have the ability to scrutinize what your buying.. Obviously they can have structural issues that can be undetectable. For arguments sake tho, these tires NEW will do anything any other swamper or BFG MT will do; except air down to low psi being a 16.5 unless your running a full beadlock set-up..

Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 AM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
My .02$
I've run several sets of these on various trucks and bought them directly from a Limestone AFB dismantler here in Maine where they rehab the H1 military hummers. The only real glaring problem with these is that if, "if" they get run flat they will have compromised sidewalls, they may and do still inflate and function but they are not nearly as trustworthy as the take offs that haven't been run flat. If you pay close attention to the side wall of the tires when you pick a set out you can see a faint swirl pattern on them if they've been run flat or not. Obviously its harder to make a decision if your ordering them and having them shipped but just FYI...
Thanks for the tip.. I'm about to buy some to run on an offroad trailer. I plan on picking out my own down in Sanford,FL while visiting Mom.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by HOOTs95PSD
Thanks for the tip.. I'm about to buy some to run on an offroad trailer. I plan on picking out my own down in Sanford,FL while visiting Mom.
Have you seen this thread? As you are at the tire sourcing stage you may have some input?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

Quick Reply: Anyone run the military 37x12.5r16.5 rim/tire