1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Weld-in Oil Dipstick Adapter Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,675 Likes on 1,131 Posts
looks like a good idea.
the only problem I could see is that the pan started out as a flat sheet of tin and than was pressed into it's current shape, there is a lot of stress in the grain of the steel when it is pressed that far, (that is one of the reasons they corrode so bad) when steel that is stressed that much in the manufacturing process is welded the welding changes the molecular lineup and makes stress risers which lead to cracks along the weld.
only time will tell if that will happen.
if mine was leaking I would definitely be doing the same thing but I would do it installed in the truck!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by helifixer
looks like a good idea.
the only problem I could see is that the pan started out as a flat sheet of tin and than was pressed into it's current shape, there is a lot of stress in the grain of the steel when it is pressed that far, (that is one of the reasons they corrode so bad) when steel that is stressed that much in the manufacturing process is welded the welding changes the molecular lineup and makes stress risers which lead to cracks along the weld.
if mine was leaking I would definitely be doing the same thing but I would do it installed in the truck!
The cracking along the weld was my first thought also, with the thin metal of the pan. Hopefully this won't be an issue, but with my luck it would happen. Good idea though.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:10 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
...I'd just go the 'strictly diesel' or one of the other in-place fixes and buy some extra time...
The strictly diesel adapter just seems way too expensive. I don't se why one couldn't take an adapter like you made, drill a hole on either side, counter bore for o-ring or copper washer/seal, then make a bracket that will slide into the pan; cut a felt gasket to go between the pan and adapter and done! If you don't like the idea of leaving the stock adapter inside the pan, make the new one oversized and cut the hole in the pan larger to pull it out. The danger here is getting metal shavings in the pan.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helifixer
looks like a good idea.
good point, but my thinking was that there is so little load on this piece over time that i can't see it forming any fatigue cracks there. the inner piece is also quite a bit larger than the hole so it should back up the structure pretty well. only time will tell, though!

Originally Posted by farmert
The cracking along the weld was my first thought also, with the thin metal of the pan. Hopefully this won't be an issue, but with my luck it would happen. Good idea though.
hopefully i don't have your luck, then :-)

Originally Posted by dclack
The strictly diesel adapter just seems way too expensive. I don't se why one couldn't take an adapter like you made, drill a hole on either side, counter bore for o-ring or copper washer/seal, then make a bracket that will slide into the pan; cut a felt gasket to go between the pan and adapter and done! If you don't like the idea of leaving the stock adapter inside the pan, make the new one oversized and cut the hole in the pan larger to pull it out. The danger here is getting metal shavings in the pan.
my biggest issue with kits like that is that the stock one has to be pushed into the pan, left to bounce around and dent the bottom of the pan for years. i guess its OK, its just a crazy concept. or, what if a big bump knocked it up through the faring pan and into the rotating assembly of the engine? then you'll be pulling the engine in favor of a new one instead of just a new pan!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:37 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't care for that idea either, but that is what the $$$ strictly diesel kit requires. You could probably attach it to the new adapter bracket with some small cable/chain. But this is all a moot point since you have the best possible solution. Just thinking out loud for those who aren't lucky enough to have the engine on a stand.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:18 AM
SVandal
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. Is there any reason the stock dipstick adapter can't be welded to the oil pan on the inside? I have to pull the pan anyways, would like to permanently fix this problem if it's possible to just weld up what's there without making a new adapter.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:36 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by SVandal
Bringing this back from the dead. Is there any reason the stock dipstick adapter can't be welded to the oil pan on the inside? I have to pull the pan anyways, would like to permanently fix this problem if it's possible to just weld up what's there without making a new adapter.
Because it's non-ferrous junk pot metal and trying to weld it with anything will just melt/burn through.

The following users liked this post: