Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Going to look at a truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Going to look at a truck

Non-running, 84 F250 2wd extended cab four speed 6.9 with a turbo. I'm hoping it's something like bad glow plugs, I want to make this the base for my next build. This truck, another standard cab 6.9 F250 and a 70s F350 dually are sitting in a field near where I'm working, and for the price it's very hard to pass up.
What size is the crank bolt on the 6.9? I don't want to make a big attempt to start it, if it starts the price may well go up quickly, I just figure if i can turn it one or two complete revolutions it should be fairly straightforward to get it running (barring things like a rod knock).

Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I suspect 15/16"
That's what my 7.3 is, and I'm pretty sure they are the same.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
zloetakoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFter the last month's project (oil cooler, radiator, heater core, water pump, thermostat, new hoses) I'd be the most concerned about the condition of the trucks cooling system. Can't believe how neglected some of these trucks are (especially the one I bought) in regards to coolant.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Well, I looked at it and will go pick it up next Friday. To say the body is rough would be too kind, but at least for this one it's what is inside that counts. I couldn't reach the crank bolt, but everything is there including a first gen Banks setup.
If anyone is looking, there is also an 85 F250 there with all the options except it doesn't have a bed or title for $500.
These are sitting in western TX about 40 miles from me, and have been in a field for at least the four years the guy has owned the place.

Sent from my C771 using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
waystro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Well, I looked at it and will go pick it up next Friday. To say the body is rough would be too kind, but at least for this one it's what is inside that counts. I couldn't reach the crank bolt, but everything is there including a first gen Banks setup.
If anyone is looking, there is also an 85 F250 there with all the options except it doesn't have a bed or title for $500.
These are sitting in western TX about 40 miles from me, and have been in a field for at least the four years the guy has owned the place.

I might be interested in the 85 F-250 is it 4x4 and what shape is it in?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Nope, 2wd. The cab is in better shape than the one I'm grabbing, the seat almost looks like something out of a conversion vehicle and there isn't any rust. No bed, and the paint is bad from years in the TX sun. It's an auto, has a tach, and looks like it was mostly looked after while on the road, but has been sitting for quite a while now.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Ok, I brought this thing back to the shop the other day:

I was wrong to say it's rough. It's a mess. Saying it's rough is an insult to all rough trucks out there, but the body is going away. The real reason I bought it:

Even if nothing else on this truck is salvageable, the turbo is worth more than I paid.
So far, the throttle cable is disconnected and the coolant is gone. The oil looks ok, but I don't dare attempt to even crank it until I can get the wiring isolated. The rats had ten years of time to work it over, luckily they didn't chew through the air filter so nothing actually in the engine, but the wiring is done. I'll put a battery to it in the next week sometime, but I'll be back home next week so who knows if I'll have time to actually start it. I still don't know if the engine turns or not, I'm not laying in rat crap to find out.
The rear end is a 3.07, so with the 4speed it'll basically be like running my truck with the 3.73 and ZF, just without a deep first gear.
On a side note, I moved it with the front end loader to wash the engine bay, and managed to hit the Mack parked next to it with one of the forks. Nearly ripped the mirror off, so now it's out back to the parts trucks and fix that before the dispatcher sees it.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Ok, I brought this thing back to the shop the other day:

I was wrong to say it's rough. It's a mess. Saying it's rough is an insult to all rough trucks out there, but the body is going away. The real reason I bought it:

Even if nothing else on this truck is salvageable, the turbo is worth more than I paid.
So far, the throttle cable is disconnected and the coolant is gone. The oil looks ok, but I don't dare attempt to even crank it until I can get the wiring isolated. The rats had ten years of time to work it over, luckily they didn't chew through the air filter so nothing actually in the engine, but the wiring is done. I'll put a battery to it in the next week sometime, but I'll be back home next week so who knows if I'll have time to actually start it. I still don't know if the engine turns or not, I'm not laying in rat crap to find out.
The rear end is a 3.07, so with the 4speed it'll basically be like running my truck with the 3.73 and ZF, just without a deep first gear.
On a side note, I moved it with the front end loader to wash the engine bay, and managed to hit the Mack parked next to it with one of the forks. Nearly ripped the mirror off, so now it's out back to the parts trucks and fix that before the dispatcher sees it.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What town of western Texas?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The old banks kits arent worth much apparently, i tried selling mine for 300 forever only got 1 guy interested in it, and i was so swamped at the time i couldnt even get around to selling it.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, poor girl's had a tough life.

That real wheel offset is wild!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Yeah, someone stuck a dually wheel on there to hold it up. It ddn't have any fronts, so I borrowed a pair of trailer tires to hold it up. I have a set of rims in WA that I will ship down while I'm back, they are stupidly expensive here.
I am in Midland for now, supposed to be going to Pecos soon though.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice score!
Maybe it's me....but the body on that truck doesn't look that bad to me, heck I think the body on my 87 is worse lol.

I'd love to find a good, complete, spare 6.9 to build-up...I'm still looking.
but I do have to agree that the old banks turbo set-ups (pre-sidewinder) don't go for much $ around here either, I thought about selling my 1st or 2nd gen banks to buy a sidewinder but I won't get much at least as much as I originally anticipated.
That said, my old banks turbo set-up is still going strong!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I was planning twins for my truck, since i wanted to avoid modifying the firewall, but this one popped up and that's it.
The cab itself isn't bad, there's no rust at all, but the windows are all shot out and there is no title. If someone wants it they can have it, otherwise it'll be cut up in little bits and shoved in the bed to be scrapped. The frame is going to get a very thorough cleaning and rust treatment before I start the build, then a good coat of chassis black once the holes are drilled and the mounts set.
Now to find a donor body-

Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are you located?
Heck, I could use a pass door, very bottom of the extended cab bottoms, (maybe even a straight frt bumper and tailgate and long bed while I'm at it lol)

Quick Reply: Going to look at a truck