1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F-350 SD PowerStroke Trailer Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:29 PM
billcard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F-350 SD PowerStroke Trailer Brake Issue

Hi.

I tried to conduct a search of the forum on this topic but each time I tried I got a "database error" message so I'm going to just post this and hope I don't antagonize anyone.

I recently bought a 2015 F-350 Super-Duty PowerStroke with the full towing package. I then bought a 2014 Dutchmen 25-foot travel trailer, bumper-pull (new...just purchased a year later).

Everything is great with the combo except I cannot get the trailer brakes to engage at all when towing. They do engage when I pull the break-away switch plug out so the trailer dealer says that proves that the trailer brakes are fine. They're electric and they either work or they don't. Period.

I've had the truck into the dealer, too, and it looks good in all of the tests that they performed.

So both dealers claim that the braking system is working as designed yet I still minimal (if any) trailer braking.

Details:

1. I hooked up the trailer to the truck ready to tow (electric and mechanical).

2. Truck LCD shows "Trailer connected" or the like.

3. I set the Gain to 6, as instructed in the owners manual.

4. The pressure is set to the default: Low.

5. I get the truck rolling to about 25mph and apply the pincher switch: Nothing.

6. I increase the gain, step-by-step, until it's max'd out at 10. Still no response from the trailer brakes (or, if there is, it's so minimal that I cannot sense it). Certainly no squealing of the brakes on the pavement as there should be if the gain is set too high.

7. Keep adjusting things until the pressure setting is on High. Same results.

So now I have two dealers claiming it's not a problem with their equipment but I still have a truck-trailer combo that's not getting any trailer brake application at all.

I read in another forum's posts that it was a blown fuse but surely a dead circuit would have shown up on the dealer tests (he said, hopefully).

Another post said to push the electrical connector into the socket really hard but I've been doing that without success, too.

I just read one that said he found success by prying the metal contacts out a bit inside the truck's electical socket so they got a good contact. I have't tried that yet but will this evening when I get home from work.

Other than smashed contacts in the plug, any other ideas of how to get the truck and trailer talking?

Thanks!

bc

Old 09-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like you have lost the brake circuit from the 7pin plug back to the trailer brake break-away switch/axles. Pulling the break-away switch only checks the brake circuit from your on board battery to the brakes circuitry. You need to check to make sure there is a connection from the 7pin plug on the trailer side to the break-away switch. See if you can following the circuitry in the photo below

http://www.camperdeals.com.au/wp-con...th-Charger.jpg

Old 09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
If you are manually applying the slider on the TBC and get no application of the trailer brakes then something is wrong.

If you applied the break away switch and it locked up all four then there is nothing wrong trailer side.

So...have someone step on the truck brakes and then you go listen at each trailer wheel for the buzz. A buzz at each wheel would confirm that there is power at each wheel and therefore brakes at each wheel or brakes that need adjustment.

You should also consult the owners manual for fuses under the hood. Check those relays.

Next would be truck side, pull the plug apart and check those connections for looseness. Backside of the plug where the wires connect to the prongs.

You should also check for power there when the foot brake is applied.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
If you applied the break away switch and it locked up all four then there is nothing wrong trailer side.
That is not totally true. You have a few feet of wire from the trailer plug back to where most tie in the truck brake wire feed to the trailer breakaway switch and wire to the brakes.

I still believe the problem is on the trailer side of the 7pin plug.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
I believe it was my03 f350 that I had to install a relay uder the hood that was in the glove copartment. My 2014 I didn`t have to. Look inthe truck to see if you have the relay to install. I would think the dealer would know to do that If that was your problem. Good luck..Have fun camping.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
That is not totally true. You have a few feet of wire from the trailer plug back to where most tie in the truck brake wire feed to the trailer breakaway switch and wire to the brakes.

I still believe the problem is on the trailer side of the 7pin plug.
Billcard, can you either 1) hook your truck to another trailer and see if the brakes will work, or 2) have someone else pull you trailer with their truck, and see if the brakes work. Process of elimination, and you're not having to pay someone to at least figure out which vehicle has the problem.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
txdutt0122
New User
they make a plug in diagnostic tool for the 7 pin connector---they're like $10 on up--wallyworld may even have them to check the truck side...

-just by chance, did you select electric or electric over hydraulic on the dash display?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
billcard
New User
Wow! You guys are terrific!! Thanks so much for all of the ideas.

I've got the setting on Electric, not Electric Over Hydraulic.

I'll hook it up again and have my wife apply the brakes while I listen for the buzz.

I'll see if I can find the 7-pin tester, too.

I'll call the dealer to insure that, among their tests, they checked the fuses. If not, I'll do that.

Hadn't thought of having a friend try to pull the trailer or me pull theirs. I'll look into that, too, if the previous options don't work.

And, if the foregoing don't identify the issue, I'll take apart the plug(s) to insure that the pins and wires are connected securely.

Again, thank you so much!!!!

I'll report back whatever I find so it's a matter of record if someone else runs into this problem in the future. Sure appreciate all of you taking the time to share your expertise!

bc

Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Wolgy
New User
Similar issue

I have a similar issue. I know my trailer is good because I hooked up to another truck. I just bought this 2003 F350. The only way the trailer brakes will engage is when I apply the truck brake pedal AND pull the slider on the controller. If I do one or the other I get nothing. Actually, when I hit the brake pedal the LED on the controller comes on but no trailer brakes. Does this sound like a wiring issue?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 PM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
Check your ground connections at the trailer. The trailer brake controller may detect the trailer, but a poor ground won't allow enough current flow to apply the brakes. Just ground through the ball to the trailer frame isn't a solid ground.