1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small or Large Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 PM
OldHat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small or Large Dealerships

So which is better a Small or Large Dealerships for both getting the best buy deal and for long term service?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Depends on what you need.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM
OldHat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Depends on what you need.
I need a truck.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OldHat
I need a truck.
New? Used? If used how used? Financed? Credit issues? Trade in?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM
OldHat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BruteFord
New? Used? If used how used? Financed? Credit issues? Trade in?
New. No. No. Yes.

My question really is about who has the ability to offer the best percentage discount from sticker.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Then in general large, in particular if they have a large used selection. They all pay the same for the new trucks, differences are in what they need to make per truck and most of all how much they can offer for the trade. If they do high volume then they need to make less per truck. If they will put your trade on there lot then they can offer more for it not wholesale it.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best deal on new I ever got was from a small dealership, they were one of one and had no where to send the car to so they had to sit on it for a year. If it is something more normal that every dealer has a larger dealer may be better.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
My experience has always been better with small dealerships. I bought my Super Duty used at a smaller dealer and got very good personal service. Even after the sale, I was getting calls asking how the truck was and anything else they can do for me.

I have been dealing with a local small GM dealer(don't hate, employee discount) for years on all of our new cars and wifey's SUV's. They get to know you on a personal level and when it is time for service, it is a one on one experience. Super dealerships assign you to a "team" for service and you are just a number in a big machine.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 AM
OldHat
Freshman User
My experience with large dealerships seems to be that you are a person in a crowd and there is always someone else in the crowd.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
It really depends on the dealership. There are no hard rules on which is better. My next vehicle will be purchased from a large dealership, only because the one in mind gives you a 100k mile warranty with ever new Ford vehicle purchased.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:10 AM
OldHat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by redford
It really depends on the dealership. There are no hard rules on which is better. My next vehicle will be purchased from a large dealership, only because the one in mind gives you a 100k mile warranty with ever new Ford vehicle purchased.
Wow! I'd jump on that as well depending on the fine print of course. Is this engine and powertrain?

Old 09-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Husky44
Senior User
No hard and fast rule, as there are too many variables. Your best bet is to cast the net as wide as possible, and use your phone and the internet to develop as many options as possible. Sales and after-sale service are not linked, so don't treat them that way. That 100k warranty can be bought online for a huge discount over what the business manager will offer you during the sale. You can bet it is rolled up in your purchase price somewhere. Go online and search for Ford Extended Warranty. You can buy it any time before your factory warranty expires, and from any dealership in the US.

Your best bet, OP, is to do your due diligence to know the real market value of your trade, including any sales tax benefit over selling it yourself and buying outright, knowing the invoice price, rebates, and holdback of the exact truck you are looking at, and negotiating with as many dealers as you can find, large or small, who have the truck you want. Don't try to play silly games with them, and don't let them play the games with you. The internet has shifted the balance of power in the car market- buyers are now much better informed if they choose to be. Smart dealerships are changing how they deal with informed buyers. Find a couple, tell them what you want to do (be realistic), and let them go to work to compete for your business.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:01 AM
OldHat
Freshman User
Husky44, thanks that makes good sense. What is the hold back price?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:02 AM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know how far you are from Detroit but if you're in Michigan, call Scott Pratt at Bob Maxey Ford. He'll probably quote you invoice price on a rig over the phone. You could probably even whittle a couple hundred off that even. They're a big dealership.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:52 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
My experience is; and this is just one mans opinion,......ALL dealerships large and small suk! Period. And I've been doing this for 30 years with all makes (except foreign). I'm so tired of the business as usual BS. "Let me go talk to my manager behind the magic curtain" etc...etc...Then comes the warranty! What a joke. Why even bother...3/36 really. Gee thanks. When 38K hits and the trans falls out...guess what you get.
When one spends 45-75+K on a new truck you'd think the business atmosphere/ethic would be different from that of a 10-13K disposable KIA. Actually KIA has a 10/100 and Im told the experiences are all positive, first hand. Too bad KIA doesnt sell SDs.
I guess you need to buy a Ferrari or Lambo to get any respect.
That said my next purchase will be from CarMax. Yes they have trucks and will locate the one you want. I know you said NEW but whats wrong with a 10-20K used SD with a killer warranty? My girl just did the CarMax thing, a loaded 2013 Infinity with 13K on the clock. How refreshing the experience was. We walked the lot for an hour looking at cars with no sign of the quintessential greasy haired salesperson in the plaid leisure suit. Awesome warranty too. 125K/5yr bumper to bumper less consumable items for $1200! Try that at your local dealership. Try it you will see what I mean. ZERO BS.
Moral of the story to the OP is... it doesn't really matter what size the dealer is. Its all the same sales pitches selling their snake oil or whatever wears. If you want it you just have to roll the dice and get out the check book then trade every 1095.73 days or 35,999 miles unless your a professional wrench...I digress sorry.

Quick Reply: Small or Large Dealerships