Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Alberta Chat - Fall/Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
No bones about it - some of HFs stuff is junk, but in fairness to them - much of their junk is covered with a lifetime warranty.. Some of their tools and products are getting a real good reputation and I have a few of their power tools that will hang in with the best of my Porter-Cable, Bosche, etc.. This is my last purchase from Princess Auto which I could not find anywhere down here.. Circular LED light source for my drill presses and mill..
I have the same mill/lathe at work just a different color be nice if it was a little higher lol... Ok maybe a foot higher

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there Midnight - that's pretty cool..
I've seen the same combo machine marketed by a number of other companies but that's the first I have heard of Craftex!
It's not a bad little machine if you're working on small / simple parts.. I have saved a bundle by machining many of my own parts and tools..

Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Oh boy, shop is down, lumber is gone just need to clean up tailings to keep bylaw off my azz. Reinforced fence, wind proofed it with painted osb panels, put up 10'x10' shelter frame so that I can see what needs to be modified and how. I want to raise it to the height of the truck frame and put a skirt around it. Need to get some shop lights that have the outdoor ballast or something along that line, that's my reason to go to Princess auto. Tiger Williams needs my money lol. Need some flux core wire to. These shelters are white inside but won't take any light bulb heat so it's flourescent or led, have never bought led's so I'm lost in that dept. Kid that picked up lumber lives on Copperfield, problem person in neighbourhood lives on Copperpond LOL.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
LED lighting is your friend - albeit a tad more expensive...
No cold start issues, low heat generation (not a plus this time of year) and for the summer they are really good because LED lighting has very low UV values. UV is what attracts bugs!!

Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Just went online to look at the Princess catalogue, that's a pita, guess I go there in person. If I can get some outside ballast resistors I can rig up 6 2 bulb systems as I've got the light cans allready. Gotta double check the voltage as they are usually used in signs and most signs are 220. Saw a led light bar but it said 12v DC but it looks like most everything led says 12v, today is chilly and would be a good shopping day, then again I like to know what i'm looking for.

Speaking of lights, found new way of messing with cats. The assistive light feature on my phone and wall, ceiling spiders. Just like shadow puppets but confuses, bugs Sally and enthralls Frankie

Old 11-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
It's above zero.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:23 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
It's only -7 but theres enough humidity to put a coat of frost on everything. I'm just going to do some cleanup til the gloves get to wet and then it's off to the bank to pre pay some bills. Pension day is the 26 and I'll due the Princess trip then as I wont be rushed and it will help me figure out just what I want for lights. I got a 40 amp line but I'm reserving 25 for the welder and other tools that are high draw. I got a 10' x10 and a 10 x 20 but I'm only using 10' of it until bylaw is off my back, should be in Febuary. that gives me 3 months to make sure my complainer, vandalism problem is 100% gone.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Not to sound too ignorant - but what is Bylaw?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Not to sound too ignorant - but what is Bylaw?
Bylaw are wanna be cops lol
Typically bylaw officers are hired by the area/county/town they work in where RCMP are hired by the province.
Bylaw also don't Cary guns

Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Midnite1987
Bylaw are wanna be cops lol
Typically bylaw officers are hired by the area/county/town they work in where RCMP are hired by the province.
Bylaw also don't Cary guns
Ahhhhh... Okay... We call them Rent-A-Cops here.... But you have to be careful because some of them are really moonlighting LEOs...

Then there are some that are unemployed security guards that can't even be trusted with batteries for their flashlights!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Bylaw is a subset of laws that the city, town municipality or county has that allows the previously listed decide how to govern things like parking, noisey neighbours, messy yards. they also decide what kind of structures you can have in your yard. If you want to target someone just check out your local bylaws and call the department that enforces it and file a complaint. Warning only aholes get results, everybody with a legit complaint gets "theres nothing we can do" or a bunch of hoops to jump through. I've been trying for 3 years to get rid of Luigi's, Mohammed's, Wayne's car. It doesn't run and needs to be pushed to be moved, they use it to buy insurance and the month and year stickers go on the plate of a Honda Accord driven by a drunk with no liscence. CPS has the alibi for them, Moe lost the stickers and has for 3 years running. Someone took an axe to the Accord and tin snips to the plate, their car isn't in front of my house anymore. Mylaw. Theres a bogus sticker on the car now and according to the registry the car is no longer registered, bylaw still won't take it off the street. Theres good reasons for bylaws, but it's hard to get them properly enforced. Some bylaw officers figure out what the real problem is and they work the neighbourhood accordingly and will let you slide if your a responsible person, others are ****'s without a cause.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Yeah, to me, "bylaw" means any laws created by the city. Not "criminal" charges, but just fines and annoyances.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:20 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Not too far back we were on the topic of lights. My dad has a shop, 40×50 with 16 foot ceiling and it severely lacks light. Currently it has the old 8ft florescent bulb setup and they're aging and losing light. What kind of setup would you folks recommend? We were thinking of going LED but there's so many different types and they're relatively expensive. Were also tossing around the idea of getting the newer, thinner 4ft florescent system that has 6 bulbs per unit. But will the florescent slowly dim out again like they always do? We do cabinetry so having good light is important. And we want to address the light issue, fix it right and never worry about it again.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 11-19-2014, 11:44 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
With flourescents the ballast resistor has a life span rating like light bulbs. Depending on the temperature of your shop it's not unusual to get 8000 hrs out of them if you have a moderate quality system. I bought some cheap home depot units $23 and got 100 hrs most out of the longest lasting one. I used mine in an unheated outdoor shop. You may only need to upgrade your ballast resistors. Back in Vancouver I went to AMRE supply and got some outdoor ballast resistors and used them in my unheated ware house and didnt replace any during my 3 year lease. The outdoor resistor is used for signs and there are a 220 and a 110 version. I ran 1 resistor for 3- 2 bulb 4' light cans, used conduit to join the light cans together. the resistors I had were meant for 8' bulbs IIRC. I'm tempted to check out Woseley electrical supply to see what they have. Thev'e got the largest instock warehouse in Calgary and nothing is made cheaply, all name brand last that I knew. Will check out leds. Computors sure make window shopping easy, Just don't tell your wives if you want any quiet time.

ps Ballast resistors are really easy to change, just need marrettes, wire cutter, tape and usually a phillips screwdriver.

Last edited by privateer, eh; 11-19-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: forgot that not everyone is pschycic
Old 11-20-2014, 06:06 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Lighting an entire shop with LED would be very expensive and take many years to recover your investment.
A really bright alternative which is energy efficient to a far greater degree than normal T12 flourescent bulbs are the T8 bulbs.. Great cold start properties with fast warm-up. The down side of the T8 is that they require special fixtures and are more expensive.
I have some T8 panels that I will be putting up to augment my current flourescent fixtures.. These will give far greater lighting to my task areas.

Quick Reply: Alberta Chat - Fall/Winter