1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Project Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 05:13 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank85713
Inflate the air bags and then use a soapy water solution to look for air leaks. I thought I had a bad bag, turned out the airline had broken going to it. For an AC/heater unit you will need a 3500-4000 watt generator. Champion makes a good inexpensive one about 62 db noise at 23 feet supposedly. I mounted one to my TT does add some vibration when running but nothing ya cant live with. As to a jack all depends on what ya want, but harbor freight has some big bottle jacks fairly cheap and they also have 120 and 12 lug nut guns just all depends on how you want to take them off. I carry the 120 v in the rv have the 12 for everything else. If ya go with a bottle jack remember to carry a carpet or something to lay on and a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to put the jack on for use.

Thanks for the advice. I should be able to go home for a couple of days in a bout two weeks so I can pick up some of this stuff.

I found some inexpensive self-adhesive carpet squares at Home Depot online with free shipping so I can at least start working on that while I'm away from home. Hope that carpet will hang on the vertical walls. I ordered a roll of double sided carpet tape so I'll have it if I need it.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The glue on carpet squares won't hold for a vertical installation . It is not designed for that. It's more to keep them from sliding.
you would be better off getting squares that have no glue and glueing them yourself.
I ran a floorcovering store for 15 years.Seen it before.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Originally Posted by vettex2
The glue on carpet squares won't hold for a vertical installation . It is not designed for that. It's more to keep them from sliding.
you would be better off getting squares that have no glue and glueing them yourself.
I ran a floorcovering store for 15 years.Seen it before.

Thanks for the advice,I was kinda worried about that. Guess I'll try one section with doublefaced tape just in case by some miracle they hold in place. Otherwise I'll have to go in a different direction.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
I was cleaning out and arranging my tools and equipment in the tool/storage boxes on the outside of my van and discovered that each of the eight boxes had a dome light but only two of them worked. Figured with my luck the wiring was screwed up but lo and behold, new bulbs and they all work. This will come in handy at night.

click on the pic:

Old 10-22-2014, 10:07 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
A little progress.

Got the ladder racks off the side,they were bolted and glued on. Didn't think I was ever gonna get those mothers off.

Painted the forward facing portion of the util body with rubberized paint,hope this stuff doesn't show rock chips like the original paint. Also put a reflector on.

Painted the rear bumper with nonskid and installed some hitch stairs. Those steps aren't real pretty but it sure makes it a lot easier on this ol man getting in and out.

Having some trouble with my transmission. On three different occasions the torque converter has failed to unlock when coming to a stop. Each time I had only driven two or three miles and it's been about a week between this happening and I drive it ever day. Trans is under warranty,just don't know when I'll make it home to get it looked at.

clic on the pic

Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
I like that rear step arrangement---old man or not (I'm one of those too ) but for me I'd use something with holes or a rougher surface to really get a good grip in snow or mud.

Looking good so far----hope that tranny issue isn't anything causing big down time.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:32 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up cargo

And thats a good looking Dyna Wide....

Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
And thats a good looking Dyna Wide....

Thanks,Brian,actually that's a denim black Street Bob,can't you tell ? Well,I might have changed it up a little over the years...

Old 10-25-2014, 08:28 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Thumbs up scooter people

Originally Posted by TOMMAY
Thanks,Brian,actually that's a denim black Street Bob,can't you tell ? Well,I might have changed it up a little over the years...

Wow....yeah thats a good looking scoot, whatever it is ...or was!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Carpet

Starting to make a little progress on the carpet. Got most of the floor,part of the forward bulkhead and some of the interior shelving done.

Also found and downloaded the instructions for the fancy Pioneer radio that came with the van. Bluetooth,ipod etc,I know nothing of these things but I finally was able to link the phone to the radio. Think this radio is smarter than me.

Small steps but some progress.

Click on the pics:

Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by TOMMAY
Also found and downloaded the instructions for the fancy Pioneer radio that came with the van. Bluetooth,ipod etc,I know nothing of these things but I finally was able to link the phone to the radio. Think this radio is smarter than me.
I recently bought a Kenwood Excelon CDX-X997 unit---its out of this world with features I have no idea how to use. Along with JL Audio power amp and their C3 6.5" speakers I have almost infinite control over my sound.

Originally bought the Kenwood for the hands free BlueTooth phone feature---that might work well if I only had enough motivation to upgrade my Motorola flip phone now.

My manual is so extensive after downloading it I had it professionally printed and bound, carry it on the van with me daily. One day I'll dig into my entire system and fine tune it for my ears---not sure when that will be though.

TOMMAY if you want "better" interior lighting I'd highly recommend the Thin-Lite LED series----they're very bright and the two strips in my van draw a mere 2.1 amps. Similar light levels with incandescent bulbs would be at least 10x that draw.

Nice progress though---small or slow steps are better than none at all.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:11 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
Thanks for the info on the lights and I know what you mean about changing phones.

Loved those old flip phones,flip it open,talk,close it and you're done. Now it seems like I spend half my worktime texting or emailing reports or receiving assignments on my phone. Just upgraded to 30 gigs so I wouldn't have to worry about going over on data.

Good luck

Tom

Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Oddly enough Tom I find that without all the fal de rah of texting, internet access etc ad infinitum I spend less time "communicating" with others. That leaves me far more time doing profitable work and not chasing an annoying phone or whatever we call them these days.

I've watched a friend in my same biz on his "smart phone" trying to get one small thing resolved or confirmed---its comical only because he tells me what a marvel it really, really is---when its working properly that is.

Truth be told I also like being a bit of a rebel and NOT drinking the Kool Aid of all this new techno-BS. That shocked look from others that I don't participate in such things is almost worth it all.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Talking techYES

Originally Posted by JWA
Truth be told I also like being a bit of a rebel and NOT drinking the Kool Aid of all this new techno-BS. That shocked look from others that I don't participate in such things is almost worth it all.

He says as he types away on his computer connected to the internet....

Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
He says as he types away on his computer connected to the internet....

Well ya caught me huh?

Could I be as much a contributor NOT connected to the WorldWideWeb?

Do keep in mind I'm at a desk on a PC, not on an "app" etc etc----no distracted driver here.

Quick Reply: Project Toy Hauler