6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

"missing" poor milage etc...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"missing" poor milage etc...

I have been having an issue for some time. Here are some of the symptoms.
  • Seems to be a slight stutter like a miss in a gasser, mostly feel at cruising speed. It's very subtle.
  • Bad fuel milage, probably getting 11-12 mixed driving on summer blend
  • If I start and put in gear right away, sometimes it will lope really bad like it's might stall. Put in park and try again and usually fine. Seems to do it more in reverse but that's how I generally start off.
  • Some long cranking starts, mostly cold but sometimes hot. Will also fire right off.
  • On occasion, it will run terribly until warm. Let it set for about a week when I was out of town, started but got on the road and barely ran. happened a couple of times, if I recall temps cooler when it happened.
  • One more thing, oil and coolant temps running over 200 in normal driving, but it's been hot. I can't recall what's normal. I have the BPD remote oil cooler etc, see sig.

I thought it may be a stiction issue, used oil additive for the hell of it, seemed to help MPG etc for a short time. I know of several things that may be the cause. Will probably take to the dealership. I hate to do it but don't have the back or time to do the work myself. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hink10
I have been having an issue for some time. Here are some of the symptoms.
  • Seems to be a slight stutter like a miss in a gasser, mostly feel at cruising speed. It's very subtle.
  • Bad fuel milage, probably getting 11-12 mixed driving on summer blend
  • If I start and put in gear right away, sometimes it will lope really bad like it's might stall. Put in park and try again and usually fine. Seems to do it more in reverse but that's how I generally start off.
  • Some long cranking starts, mostly cold but sometimes hot. Will also fire right off.
  • On occasion, it will run terribly until warm. Let it set for about a week when I was out of town, started but got on the road and barely ran. happened a couple of times, if I recall temps cooler when it happened.
  • One more thing, oil and coolant temps running over 200 in normal driving, but it's been hot. I can't recall what's normal. I have the BPD remote oil cooler etc, see sig.

I thought it may be a stiction issue, used oil additive for the hell of it, seemed to help MPG etc for a short time. I know of several things that may be the cause. Will probably take to the dealership. I hate to do it but don't have the back or time to do the work myself. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve
Have you checked for DTC's? What is the FICM voltage from KOEO, cranking, idle and WOT? Do you have a way to monitor fuel pressure? What are the ICPV's at KOEO?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:09 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No codes thrown that I've found. I have a pretty new 6 phase BPD FICM, The FMV is 48.0 KOEO, cranking and idle. Need to check WOT. No way to monitor fuel pressure. The ICV is .22 KOEO and 1.10 at idle.

I don't trust dealer service centers. I've never had a good experience, NEVER! I have no real choice at this time. I do want to go in armed with as much info as possible. Doesn't really matter though. I had an issue with my 7.3, I told them that I thought a particular sensor was bad after I had already replaced the CPS a few times. They dismissed me and diagnosed as bad injector o-rings. $1000 later, I stalled again on the way home! I was pissed. The o-ring may have been leaking some but was not the problem. Guess what, it was the sensor I told them about!

I can't find any good diesel shops around my area. If anyone know of a good shop in the Illinois/iowa Quad Cities area, please let me know.

Thanks!
Steve