Rebuilt Long Block Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 04:09 PM
carlo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys, take it easy on me, I'm young.

So about a week ago I was able to drive my 1985 Ford Econoline 150 on my own. My dad bought it in 87, and has 'taken care' of it ever since. He's good at cars, but never really had the time to properly fix some of its problems as it got near the end of his reign of driving it. Well he kept it around and gave it to me, so now I have a few things I'd like to fix.
It is a stock 302, with a trade in long block rebuilt by Pep Boys. It's go the 2 barrel carb, and automatic trans.

There are green and red colored plastic lines running from different portions of the motor. They were cut during the install of the new motor, because they supposedly don't do anything exceptional. Also emmissions wise, the smog pump, what does it really do? Is it necessary?

Most importantly, I am having a lot of trouble starting it after I run it for 10 plus minutes. It is hot, and won't start until it cools down. Now it does stall out until it gets warmed up, but this is because the stock automatic choke on the carb was replaced by a manual choke. Well, if anyone has ever worked in an 80's era econoline, you can't really run a manual choke line too well up to the dash. It didnt work, so now its gone. I'm putting the automatic choke back on. The starting problem is my main concern.

Brakes....more like what brakes. It stops, but you have to get used to driving it. At 6300 pounds I'm guessing this is the norm for an 80's car. Any tips?

Noise. This thing isn't the quietest ride around. There's nothing imparticular, so I'm just guessiing its a noisey engine.

I want to get this thing running well. I got it for free, but at 2000 a year in insurance, yes two thousand, I can't afford most of the things I would like, such as a leak test for the A/C unit which leaks freon, therefore not working after two days. Any help on things, description of quirks it probably has, and things I can do to help my elderly car move along better would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:27 PM
68torino
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you get the electric choke in and set per specs. Make sure to do a tune up, plugs wires, cap and rotor. THEN dial in the carb per the specs for that model year and time the motor. I've heard 10 degrees to 18 degrees. The motor will tell you what it likes by how it starts and runs. to much advance and it will start like it had 18 to 1 compression. As far as the colored lines these sound like vacuum lines to the heater/ac controls. If it was an '86 these would be for the fuel injection system but I think '85 was still carbed. The smog pump injects air into the exhuast to aide in after combustion of unburnt fuel(so they say I think it added air to help it pass emissions). It almost sounds as if you have a cross over model 1/2 carbed, 1/2 computer. If so these were the worst of both breeds.
Starting hard after warming up sounds like to much advance, but could be vapor lock if the fuel line is to close to a heat source. If it cranks easy but won't start that should be vapor lock. If it cranks real hard, almost kicks back, thats to much timing. If it cranks hard and slow sounds like starter, cables and maybe solenoid.
Hang in there with it as when you get a handle on her, she'll treat you well, if you treat her well. I had an '86 I got at 140K ran it out to 235K gave it to my son who ran it out to 265K. This had been rebuilt at 100K and used no oil when he got done.

Good luck.