Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM
New User

Rafaello is starting off with a positive reputation.
heaters in 6.0L diesel

I discovered plug /110V/ in front of my Ex below front bumper that is - I guess - for heating engine oil or coolant . could anybody tell me for how long time can I use it and how will I see the engine is heated enough , thank you in advance . rafał
Old 09-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
That's for a block heater. Its installed into a coolant passage just above the starter, and you've found the pigtail at the bumper. It's about 1100wts, IIRC. Most guys put them on timers to run no more than 4 hours before anticipated start time in the cold of winter. To monitor real time engine coolant temps you'll need a digital(OBDII), or analog gauge.

Otherwise, see how warm the air from your cab heater is right when you start it, after being plugged in for a while.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM
New User

many thanks and one more question what do you mean by cold winter : colder than -20C that is around -4F . pigtail has plastic ticket with power description 1800 W so I will plug the heaters for 2hrs and see .regards rafał
Old 09-01-2014, 03:11 PM
New User

last question : does the heating system have thermostat that make the heaters off after getting certain temperature ?
rafał
Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
The tag you see most likely refers to the rating of the pigtail itself. It could be factory original, factory replacement, or aftermarket. All 6.0l engines came equipped with the block heater element. Not all had the pigtail.

There is no automatic thermostatic control of any kind. Plug it in, and it's on until you unplug it.

I like to plug in when temps get into the teens(°F). I've started mine cold at -22°F, and the engine was not happy at all, but did start/run.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Leadfoot

Krazee Matt is a name known to allKrazee Matt is a name known to allKrazee Matt is a name known to allKrazee Matt is a name known to allKrazee Matt is a name known to allKrazee Matt is a name known to all
Krazee Matt
I'd leave mine in overnight during the winters while I was up on Whidbey, but it was abnormally cool at 17*. That and I had several dead glow plugs, and now that I'm back home in I don't care about them nor do I need the heater.

Which is fortunate, as the last time I went offroading the plug dropped down and got ripped off like $2 hooker's dress on nickel night.
FTEMaB #1
Stay Puft: 2001 Excursion 7.3 Lmtd 4x4 / 6637 intake / 4" turbo back, 5" tips / RR FRx, HPX, billet wheel, triple gauge setup / DP F5 / CT VB code, level, Bilsteins / 315/75/16's
Cecelia: 1971 Chevelle / built 357 SBC / built TH400 / 3k Holeshot / 12-bolt, 3.73's, Detroit
Old 09-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Elder User

wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.
I plug mine in if its going under 20F for a significant amount of time over night. The car starts like its the middle of summer when the heater has been on overnight.

Don't forget diesel fuel additive. You can have a nice toasty engine block and gel it all up with diesel.
2003 6.0 Diesel, Atlas 40 FICM tune, child seats and a lot of empty sippy cups. 6" lift made up of V springs, modded S springs, 2" lift shackles and add a leaf in front, F350 blocks in the rear, 35" tires, 2" spacers, RS9000 shocks, adjustable track bar, Auto Enginuity.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Wiser by FTE

Curt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to beholdCurt's05 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaello View Post
many thanks and one more question what do you mean by cold winter : colder than -20C that is around -4F . pigtail has plastic ticket with power description 1800 W so I will plug the heaters for 2hrs and see .regards rafał
the heating unit is around 1000 watts and will raise you oil temperature to around 100 degrees f after 2-4 hrs, depending on the outside temperature. I plug in under 25 degree f, most of us, use timers because of the electricity costs.
05 eb 6.0 psd, edge insight, coolant filter, 4" ss exhaust, egr delete, studs, sct & matt's custom tunes, atlas 40 ficm tune, road master as, v code front springs, rs9000's, 2.2 k inverter, frozen rotors/hawk pads, alpine amp/ 2 10" sub, 27 watt! led back-ups, led interior lights, rear view camera mirror, power-max turbo, harley headlights, hood liner,jimmi jammers, eds ficm atlas 40, F650 lower dash, blue spring, true-trac, 175 amp alt, high idle mod, 18" king ranch rims, 2008 oem super duty PPPower mirrors...
Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs