1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Verily I have drunk deeply of the E-Van Kool-Aid......

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
ps K9DR....I looked it up a while back and when the E150 went to 16" wheels in 2003, the brakes were upsized from my '02 and all prior years. JWA's upgrade is for 8 lug vans and does not apply to you. You already have the largest brakes they ever put on the 5-lug vans so you have a great combo.

I am guessing that the sound and heat insulation of the passenger cabin is obvious to you if you've driven empty boxes in comparison, and I really believe that you need the rear AC for carrying dogs in Texas. You can put a darker tint on the rear windows (like a limo tint) over the factory tint if you want less light getting in.

They may sell pull-down blinds for the factory windows (check camper places that do vans or van converters if you can actually find one) if you'd like them. They do rattle and flap around a bit--I had them on my last GMC conversion van.

Again

Old 09-03-2014, 05:26 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by k9dr
Ummmmmmm. I'm confused.

Maybe I should go back and confess that I am a Mechanical Idiot. I wouldn't know a tie-rod, a ball-joint, or a spindle if it ran up and bit me in the a$$ (let alone a radius arm). I will not do the work, but I may hand wrenches to the guy who will do the work and ask him questions, because I am interested in learning about this stuff.

So, I do not understand JWA's post at all, especially because it does not look like the brake upgrade in the cited thread is applicable to my E150 (and it is lightly loaded and slows down completely to my satisfaction).

But please don't try to explain now. I'll just get more confused. I'll show the van to my mechanic tomorrow and once he tells me what the van seems to need I'll come back to forum and Van Gurus and get some clarification on best suspension/steering parts to buy and where from and what to add (Hellwig sway bars while we are under there?) to the package.

k9dr

Sorry for the techno-babble overload-----I yammer on when I actually know something, especially when I also have direct experience with it.

Make a list from my post of parts I replaced and get his opinion if your particular chassis would benefit from any or all of those being replaced. Go with his recommendations since he'll be doing the work.

Keep in mind the brake upgrade mentioned in my link wasn't being suggested for your van---it was presented more to show parts of the ball joint replacement procedure---I assumed you might be doing that yourself.

While I always recommend Hellwig front and rear sway bars get your chassis in top order before adding anything. With renewed parts you might find the current handling characteristics suitable and not really needing much improvement. If you keep the stock front sway bar use Energy Suspension's kit # 6-1151 for urethane bushings---they'll last a long, long time.

Not trying to confuse the issue of sway bars but adding a rear sway bar would be highly recommended for most ever E-Series van. Even the stock version is an improvement over nothing at all, one might be found fairly cheaply in a DIY salvage yard.

Anyway sorry again for so many facts thrown at you all at once----let us know if more info or explanations are needed/wanted.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 AM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice van, looks great!

JWA, I do have one issue with your postings in this thread. You said it's a "love hate" relationship. I have to disagree. I love my E350 and hate nothing at all about owning it. In fact, if I didn't need a truck bed or a 4x4 for the winter months, I would get rid of my '13 Ram and own only this. Now that's I've secured another Econoline, I never want to be without one ever again. I love going over to my BIL's house and parking next to his seemingly small Chevy truck, and hearing him say 'man that thing is a beast'. Heck yeah it is! Big beautiful baby Bubba. Had to toss that out there!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM
k9dr
Junior User
Good News and Bad News

YoGeorge, thanks for the word on the big brakes. Frog Green Van seems to have plenty of braking power. Yes, very glad I got the passenger Chateau rather than a cargo. Am going to fabricate a set of covers out of 1/4-in plywood with insulation attached to go over the insides of the windows, but also tint them more darkly.

JWA, thanks for understanding. I'll go from the list, will leave Hellwigs for later, but I DID order a set of Bilsteins today because, well, they were there.

Yes, I'm getting the love thing going. No hate. I actually think it is fun to drive, even with a bit of a wander going on.

Bad news-- Dealerrship says from VIN number that I have 3-valve heads, meaning spark plugs that snap off when one tries to remove them. About $400 to replace by any reputable shop, IF they don't break any. Anybody have any advice to save my a$$ some money?

Tranny is 4r75something. Was hoping for 4r100.....

Thanks,

k9dr

Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
95CWChateau
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
In my haste, I think I forecast the 4R100 with the 5.4L, but I must have been wrr, wro, (inaccurate).

4R75E for E-150 with the 5.4L, here's a link to the fleet specs for 2006, includes E-150 Wagon Chateau, doesn't look too bad overall.
http://hillerford.com/resource_libra...erieswagon.pdf

Maybe a few of our trans experts can weigh in on this one? Supposedly a strengthened/updated 4r70W design?

Is this a Ford dealer with this information?
3-valve heads in a van? (paging YoGeorge...) I didn't think the vans ever got the 3-valve version? If this thread info is correct, spark plug job shouldn't be too big of a deal, (but not a walk in the park either)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-5-4-e350.html

Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 PM
k9dr
Junior User
Yeah, I called Ford dealership here in Boerne, Texas and gave them the VIN and they said 3-valve, but that struck me as weird, and the guy on the phone was not confidence-inspiring. I am hoping like Hell he was wrong and I have a nice set of 8-thread two-valve heads.

PS-- JWA, thanks for tip on eshock.com. I called up, got a cool guy to talk to, and they just happened to have the Bilstein 4600 shocks for my van in stock and price was good and shipping free. Boo-yah. Also ordered a set for the F150 but I'll have to wait on them (sick of waiting on the other company I already ordered from). E-shock seems like a good company.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
You do NOT have 3 valve heads. No E-van ever had any 3 valve head engine.

Look at the specs on 2006 E vans on this site, look at horsepower ratings, etc. And don't trust the guy who told you it had 3 valve heads to give you any other accurate information. The 3 valve 5.4 had 300 horsepower or something.

Here is the spec page for 2006 E vans. 2 valves on all engines except the diesel which has 4 valves:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/20...pecifications/

Good luck,
George

Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 PM
k9dr
Junior User
Thanks, George, you've made me a happy man. k9dr

Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by WarrensE350
Nice van, looks great!

JWA, I do have one issue with your postings in this thread. You said it's a "love hate" relationship. I have to disagree. I love my E350 and hate nothing at all about owning it. In fact, if I didn't need a truck bed or a 4x4 for the winter months, I would get rid of my '13 Ram and own only this. Now that's I've secured another Econoline, I never want to be without one ever again. I love going over to my BIL's house and parking next to his seemingly small Chevy truck, and hearing him say 'man that thing is a beast'. Heck yeah it is! Big beautiful baby Bubba. Had to toss that out there!
Well, just to clarify things---I am a frequent contributor here so that means at a minimum I own at least one of these beasts. In fact I actually own two of them although one sits idle most of the time. My current '03 is the 4th E-Series I've owned in the past 12-14 years and more than likely there's at least one more in my future before I'm out of the glass/windshield biz for good.

And my comments were pretty much tongue-in-cheek but I also appreciate anyone who loves and defends their choices similar to ours here.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 AM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
And my comments were pretty much tongue-in-cheek but I also appreciate anyone who loves and defends their choices similar to ours here.
So were my comments, I was just funnin' with you too. You da man!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by WarrensE350
So were my comments, I was just funnin' with you too. You da man!
We're ALL good here---a great bunch of fan-atics for damned sure!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JWA
We're ALL good here---a great bunch of fan-atics for damned sure!
Did you mean "van-atics"?

Ya know, the only "hate" in my love/hate van experience is the lack of passenger legroom for my wife or me when we sit in the right side seat. Both of us have tricky left knees and spinal alignment issues.

I could move the seat back on the platform a couple inches (I have already moved my driver's seat back by drilling new holes in the manual base, and use washer stacks) but that probably won't give me enough space to make a diff and the shoulder belt would come in too far forward.

I sometimes wonder if I could reduce the size of the engine cover in that area somehow (sledge hammer? cut and weld?)

I keep wanting to swap my van toward another vehicle for traveling, but the only reason I'd even want to do that is to cut down the noise from the passenger seat--or the noise from the driver's seat when my wife has her left leg on the dashboard. (I would hate to pop an airbag with her in that position...)

And I don't want to leave this forum.

George

Old 09-04-2014, 11:51 AM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Vanatics, nice. You could enunciate it like Fanatics or Lunatics, either way is true of me.

True, George, the legroom on the passenger side is lacking, good point. Of course I failed to think about that since I don't sit there, ever. My wife will never drive it so I'll never sit there. Between the van and the Ram my wife thinks I drive a bus and a dump truck.

OK, sorry to derail the thread. Digging your new van, OP!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 PM
k9dr
Junior User
S'oright.

k9dr

PS-- Gotta move my driver' seat back a couple inches, too.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Did you mean "van-atics"?

Ya know, the only "hate" in my love/hate van experience is the lack of passenger legroom.

I sometimes wonder if I could reduce the size of the engine cover in that area somehow (sledge hammer? cut and weld?)

And I don't want to leave this forum.

George
We don't want you leaving either, even if another vehicle is in your near future past experience with Ford's E-Series wouldn't lose its value and benefit.

Sadly I've recently had occasion to ride right seat in a Chevy Express, '03 vintage I believe. The seating and foot space was pretty amazing, kinda stunning really considering how cramped our beloved Blue Oval dinosaurs are in that same area.

Given the body construction of our vans in the front foot areas it would be at best cost prohibitive modifying them for more room. Experience with formed metal being stronger than most alternative build techniques says the front areas are relatively safe in the event of severe front collision. Not being familiar with a GM underside I cant compare relative strengths of those areas so I won't even speculate.

We could probably add 3-4" to the left but the amount of dismantling and fabrication that would require staggers my mind, the former body shop owner.

But the upside is we're corrupted yet another unsuspecting citizen into our ranks so if misery loves company we're in tall cotton now!

Quick Reply: Verily I have drunk deeply of the E-Van Kool-Aid......