1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 Odometer Reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
1954 Odometer Reset

Does anyone know how to reset the mechanical odometer numbers to zero on a 1954 speedometer. I figured out how to get the numbers roll out of the speedometer but I am not sure how to set the numbers so they start at zero. The P.O. said the odometer did not work but the speedometer does. Maybe I can get it back running.......with some help. Thanks

Old 11-19-2013, 04:18 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I did it to my 54 F100 but it was back in 1999 and I don't remember the details. It comes apart, be careful. I messed with it until I figured it out.

maybe someone with a better memory will come on here and tell you.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
I completely dissassembled mine and re-stacked the wheels showing "0"s all the way down the line.

There is a clip that holds the odometer assembly in place. Then a small clip that holds the stack together.

Then it's a pain in the butt getting the assembly back in. You have to get all those little individual guides in place as it snaps back in.

(sorry it's fuzzy)

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I managed to fumble with the numbers long enough and got them lined up and back in place. I am not sure if I did it right or not. I lined up the little clips with the groove in them over the metal plate. I guess that is how it is suppose to fit. I connected a drill motor to it and all seemed good except the numbers don't move. I can't tell if there is any movement in the gears. I am thinking there is a small worm gear up inside that is not turning. Probably after 60 years it is dead. Anyway, the speedometer does work. Not sure what else I can do with it. I hate to take it apart any further. I probably will never find any gears for it at this point anyway. Thanks again.
Bob

Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
lens54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1954 F100 Odometer Rebuild Kit?

My odometer stopped working at 29,999 just before it rolled to 30k. I rebuilt the engine which has an estimated 5k miles on it so i want my odometer to match that approximately.

First i need to get it working. I understand they make little rebuild kits because probably that little gear in there is broken or worn. I have not taken the dash apart yet hoping to have parts in hand before i go through all this. Daily driver.

Anybody have an idea where to get those little gears or do i have to buy a whole new instrument panel just to fix my odo?

Also how much work is it remove the instrument cluster.
Appreciate any input.
Thanks
Len

Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM
lens54
Freshman User
54 F100 Odometer Removal and Reset

Hey guys just a follow up. I figured out how to remove the speedometer and odometer as well as reset the odometer. I video taped it all see my youtube video channel here. There are 8 videos in all showing every step of the way.

I started with a NON working odometer that was stuck on 29,999. In the end i fixed the odometer and also reset the numbers to 7,000 which is my guess to the actual mileage after rebuild.

Resetting the wheels was the most tricky part, take your time there watching as you remove the wheel. I knew something was not right so before i took mine apart i bought another odometer off ebay that was still in good shape. So glad i did as i needed one of the parts to fix mine.

In the last video i show going down the road and watching the odometer turn to 7,001 I was so happy to see that sucker turn!

I have some pictures also if you want i can post them here but check the video series i did, hopefully it will help someone.
Len

Old 08-31-2014, 08:45 AM
lens54
Freshman User
54 F100 Resetting Odometer Number Wheels

My odometer stuck on 29k before i fixed it. Note i shot the whole process on video see my 54 F100 youtube channel, link in this thread if you want to see them. I took all these pics in between videos.

Odometer before removal

The clip that holds the odometer in place before removal.

The clip that holds the odometer in place after removal.

This little round bushing is just pressed on that shaft. You have to remove this if you want to reset the number wheels. Be careful. 2 pair of needle nose is what you need. One to hold the end of the shaft, the other to slowly twist that round bushing until is loosens up.

After removing the bushing on the end, the number wheels slide off. Place them in order that you remove them paying particular attention to the divider pieces. They have little gears on them and have to fit tightly.

The divider piece close up.

The tenth wheel is king! Mine shown on left is broken, the one on the right is a proper one. the main gear that turns all the numbers is connected to the tenth gear! If that is separated odometer will not turn, that was my problem. I replace with the one on the right to fix it.

After resetting all numbers. This took forever i had to do it 3 times before the numbers lined up right in the window like this. The key is to do one or two numbers then put in the housing to make sure they show properly. There are little metal U shaped pieces that MUST hook over the metal bar when you put it back in. Very important. That holds the numbers in place until they are forced to turn by the gears.

See my other pictures you will see them on the odometer wheel.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Thanks for you tips on getting this done. This morning I successfully reset my odometer to zero. By far the hardest part was getting the spring clip back in place.
Instead of taking the number wheels completely off you can do it with everything still on. Of course in your case, to fix your problem it was necessary.

Here is a video I found on changing the numbers. It is for a Mustang, but ours is exactly the same.

One problem I had was where to align the clips to get it to display properly like you mentioned.
Here is the location that works for our trucks.

Thanks again for giving me the courage to try this myself.