6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Aaargh, Please Help Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:02 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would seriously look into the hoop. Where are you from? There may be some reputable diesel shops around your area. I know several in Iowa Illinois and missouri.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 PM
tedrowtr13
Junior User
I would seriously look into the hoop. Where are you from? There may be some reputable diesel shops around your area. I know several in Iowa Illinois and missouri.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The late model HPOP's are VERY reliable and rarely fail. HPO system leaks are much more common but I've never seen or heard of one causing multiple injector failures. To me it sounds like a bad injector leaking into the fuel rail or bad torque job on the injector. Injector torque, BTW is 24 lb/ft most torque a bit higher (28 for me).

Originally Posted by BLADE35
the truck need fuel press test and Bubble test
I agree with Bennie here. Do a search for "bubble test" and you'll see it's a relatively easy thing to do.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
I'll pose a question, because I also don't know the answer. Could one of the plugs on the bottom of the FICM be loose and would that cause all four injectors (I'm guessing all the ones on the same side) to display display as bad. Maybe there is something wrong with the plug?
A FICM is designed so that one bank of plugs only fires 2 injectors per side of the motor. The middle plug fires cylinders 2,3,5,and 8. The end plug fires 1,4,6, and 7.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Thanks for the info, I knew. It was a stretch, but I was thinking of things that would be easy to check on the side of the road.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
The newer '05 and up hpop is known to be pretty reliable, but sometimes develops a hot-no-start problem caused by a weakness of the SCT(snap to connect) fitting from the pump to the oil rails. I don't know if that may cause injectors to be ruined.

Are you running Motorcraft Oil Filter and Fuel Filters? Non oem spec'd filters can cause serious catastrophic 6.0 failures.
Do you know what your EOT(engine oil temperature) is getting up to during these failures. Engine oil getting too hot and changing viscocity can cause weird stuff to start happening with the 6.0.

I know a good honest Ford diesel tech in Navasota. He just did my hpop & oil cooler replacement, and egr "off road only" modification.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:24 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jfirstford

I know a good honest Ford diesel tech in Navasota. He just did my hpop & oil cooler replacement, and egr "off road only" modification.

You finally changed that Oil Cooler Sweet!!!!

I bet you have Hands Down the Cleanest cooling system on the Planet Jay LOL (Unless it blew up right before you changed it) or did you get sick of worrying about it??

you had one of the best threads going on cooling system flush

Old 08-31-2014, 02:01 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by jfirstford
The newer '05 and up hpop is known to be pretty reliable, but sometimes develops a hot-no-start problem caused by a weakness of the SCT(snap to connect) fitting from the pump to the oil rails. I don't know if that may cause injectors to be ruined.

Are you running Motorcraft Oil Filter and Fuel Filters? Non oem spec'd filters can cause serious catastrophic 6.0 failures.
Do you know what your EOT(engine oil temperature) is getting up to during these failures. Engine oil getting too hot and changing viscocity can cause weird stuff to start happening with the 6.0.

I hadn't changed the fuel filters since I bought the truck a couple of months ago, but that's my next step - just can't buy any Motorcraft with the dealers all closed for the holiday. The oil was changed about 4k miles ago with Motorcraft filters and Rotella.

I don't have a scan tool, but throughout all of these episodes, the engine and trans temps never really changed from the mid-point of their dash gauges.

Navasota isn't too far, but I think I've decided to rent another truck to go up there Tuesday and pull my truck back to SW Houston where I'll work on it.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
The Dash gauges Suck

look into a Dashboss or ScanGaugeII

there was another one that seamed to work well for folks to that was cheap torq app IIRC

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BLADE35
The Dash gauges Suck

look into a Dashboss or ScanGaugeII

there was another one that seamed to work well for folks to that was cheap torq app IIRC
Yeah, I downloaded Torque for Android but didn't find a wireless OBDII adaptor locally before I left for Chicago. Need to order one on Ebay.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Yeah, I downloaded Torque for Android but didn't find a wireless OBDII adaptor locally before I left for Chicago. Need to order one on Ebay.
Getting torque pro (party the $5 for the pro app) going will be the best $25 you spend on your truck. Post some values and 95% of the time the guys on this forum will know what this problem is. I wouldn't spend another dime without knowing what the sensors are saying.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BryanStein
Getting torque pro (party the $5 for the pro app) going will be the best $25 you spend on your truck. Post some values and 95% of the time the guys on this forum will know what this problem is. I wouldn't spend another dime without knowing what the sensors are saying.
Yep, definitely need to get me an adaptor so I can figure this out. Thx!

Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly highly doubt it's your HPOP-if anything it's the STC fitting (maybe)

I would HIGHLY recommend doing both fuel filters before doing ANYTHING else, I've done filters on some 6.0s that were so clogged it wasn't even funny.

Another question I have is-IF they were Ford Reman injectors you have a 12-month warranty on them....how did you end up buying more? You should have been able to swap them no issues.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this the other night,I'd warranty those suckers,that's a lot of money right there

Old 09-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
This is a prime example of why it pays to reach out to members of The Brotherhood....

Had I known you were stuck on the side of the road somewhere between Dallas and Houston, I would've been able to assist with tools and AE in Hand.

There's a right way and a wrong way to fix these trucks and it's rare to find a good shop that knows what they're doing. They see a 6.0, get big dollar signs in their eyes, and throw parts at it.

-If you have injectors "failing" you may want to look at FICM voltages as yours may need to be repaired.

-You may also look at your fuel pump and fuel pressure as a 6.0 fuel pump doesn't give any obvious signs of failing. On a 7.3, you know when the pump is failing and your know for sure when it's dead or dying. The 6.0 pump will continue to make noise, it just won't build any pressure.

Quick Reply: Aaargh, Please Help Again