Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading all interior to LED and now no lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Kyan
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icentropy
Was it the festoon style or the other ones? I just got the fuses in the mail today so i'm gonna dig into it after work.
The festoon style with metal body. In my case, the EX's attachment power clips, where the festoon ends contacts, needed a little tightening bending. That was the source of issues.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kyan
The festoon style with metal body. In my case, the EX's attachment power clips, where the festoon ends contacts, needed a little tightening bending. That was the source of issues.
Cool, thanks! that's the first place i'll look.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM
davesexpedition
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kyan
I had the same issue, be careful to not bend them too much and snap them off.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 AM
icentropy
Senior User
OK learned a lot between yesterday and today (woke up at 3am, couldn't sleep). now my wife had originally done me the favor of installing the bulbs so this is the first time i actually got to see how they fit. My beautiful wife had seen that the contacts were too small and (get this) had pulled the larger diameter contacts off the festoon bulbs and slipped them over the new smaller festoons (of course that caused the short and blew the fuse). I love that woman's ingenuity.

The deal is the factory bulbs have a flat end where as every LED bulb i saw online has a cone tip meaning less contact area so the bulbs need to be longer not shorter to have enough grip surface. these are too short. Diameter can be fixed with just bending the tabs but even after that, the contacts barely grip the bulbs by maybe 1/16" per side and the second they shift even a tiny bit they come loose because they're on the coned surface of the contact.

This morning i spent an hour online researching and goofing off and found out the following.

1. online everyone says the 578 bulbs should be replaced with 42mm bulbs.
2. I measured the bulbs i installed to be 39mm bulbs (2w) with the tape measure i had at home, I'll double check with some calipers at work.
3. 42mm=1.654 39mm=1.535 (not much of a difference right, 1/8" or so? though every bit helps)
4. for some reason A LOT of online folks are calling 42mm bulbs 1.72" (which incidentally would be perfect) instead of 1.65". i wonder if they're measuring these bulbs differently? 1.72 tip to tip MIGHT measure 1.65 on the flat surface where the contacts grip? do people not know how to convert mm to in?

So unless i find out something different in the next few hours ,i plan on purchasing these
42mm (1.72") 16SMD bulbs 42mm (1.72") 16SMD bulbs
and taking the chance. not even sure if they'll fit due to the wider panel but it seemed like there was enough room and with the directional panel i don't need the reflectors in there. plus at $5 for 4pcs it's worth the risk. I'll report back with info tomorrow (next day prime shipping, thank you AMAZON!) but if someone know's what's up with the 42mm = 1.72" conversion deal, please let me know.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 AM
TheDipArmy
New User
while on the topic. Do you remember what bulb sizes you needed to replace them with LEDs?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheDipArmy
while on the topic. Do you remember what bulb sizes you needed to replace them with LEDs?
Between the info I found online after trying to figure it out this morning, what i saw in my truck and what i got off of Sylvania's bulb chart, here's what I've found out.

Front reading lights 2pcs 579 (194 / T10 LED)
Second row reading lights 2pcs 578 (42mm LED)
Third row reading & dome lights 3pcs 578 (42mm LED)
Rear cargo light 1pc 578 (42mm LED)
Glove box light 1pc 579 (194/T10 LED)

Now within those types there's tons of different varieties (vary in how many LEDs, placement and shape) that's were it's a best guess. As far as the 578 festoons go (which are the only ones i'm having issues with) there's quite a few different varieties of them but i'm going to try out these 16-SMD style.

I'll get them tomorrow so will be able to tell you guys if the larger 16 LED panels will fit. if not at least i'll know if the length is good and then i can just order the 8 led versions and be done with it. if the length is the same as the ones I already got then....but i don't think they will be.

BTW here's some interesting info. measured both Stock OEM bulbs and LED ones and here's how they stacked up. this led bulb has to be a 39mm. on top of that with the pointed LED style you lose almost a 1/4" right off the bat.

LED 2W point to point

OEM flat to flat

LED 2W flat to flat

Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 AM
icentropy
Senior User
oh one last thing. does anyone know what the wattage of those small LEDs is? trying to figure out how the 16-SMD lights will stack up against these 2W LED ones. wondering if I'm going to be losing a lot of light. They do make 42mm 2W ones but I was hesitant to try the same style for fear that the length issue would be more pronounced.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Guy's just an update (i had forgotten to update sooner) These
16-SMD 16-SMD
style. Worked and fit perfectly. They're a direct replacement for the rear cargo, and third seat lights. I actually haven't tried them in the 2nd row but i'm almost 100% sure they'll fit there perfectly as well. You will need to remove the little reflectors on the 3rd row fixture but they're completely useless once you install these LEDs as they're directional so no light to reflect. I'll try to remember to post up some pics of these lights at night one of these days.