1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

My 84 E350. Could use advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Joshua Jones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maples01
The EGR requires a couple of things on later model vehicles for removal, so I can't tell you anything about getting rid of it on your van, because there are probably other items related to it that will require removal. Vacuum leaks cause all kinds of issues, a major factor is getting the vacuum advance on you distributor hooked to the right port, one that's dead at idle, only pulling vacuum when the RPM increases.
Thanks for your response. Luckily I live in a state with no emissions so I'm ok to completely remove the egr. It's been over a year since I mounted the carb but I do recall trying the vacuum line for the timing advance on both ports of the carb and there was no change which I thought was odd at the time. To be safe I think it's best to just get the dang intake with the egr delete and be done with it. At least I know the carb was designed to be a direct fit to that specific intake. It's better safe than sorry and I honestly think it'll be worth the investment for times sake. I read somewhere that a guy used quick steal to basically plug the vacuum ports that are machined into the stock intake but with my luck the quick steal would get sucked down into the engine. Can't imagine what damage that would cause.

I have a buddy that works at the local Advanced Auto Parts and usually gives me his employee discount. I saved a good chunk on the carb by using it. I should be able to get the intake, intake gaskets, and new bolts for the same price as what I saw on amazon. After further investigating the Open box one I saw had the fuel intake ports turned 180 degrees and that wouldn't work in my case. So I'm looking at $200ish for the one I need.

I also gonna go ahead and get 2 new fuel pumps while I'm at it. They are only $35. As inexpensive coils are I'm gonna get a new one also. I prolly have less than 100 miles since I changed the plugs though new wires wouldn't hurt. Oh and some seafoam. It's been sitting and I'm sure the Nasty gas has varnished or gone bad at the least.

Keep the advice and knowledge coming.. It's much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Little Ebby
Junior User
Originally Posted by blageurt
That Van looks to be in excellent shape....why not make it run as good as it looks ?
That's right! So find a donor truck and convert that dusty jewel to fuel injection! (Carburetor? Hell, that was the 1980s.) And get an E4OD trans. in there while you're at it. You'll be glad you did. Engine runs much cooler, quieter, better mpg, more power etc.

Last edited by Little Ebby; 09-02-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: text
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Joshua ..I still did not get your Email from the PM....If you still want the connectors that is ....And I disagree with the statement about Holleys....I have never adjusted mine in 20 years...Idle only .....I could train a Monkey to adjust them...it is that easy...Carters are Boat anchors if you have enough of them....

Old 09-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Joshua Jones
New User
Originally Posted by Little Ebby
That's right! So find a donor truck and convert that dusty jewel to fuel injection! (Carburetor? Hell, that was the 1980s.) And get an E4OD trans. in there while you're at it. You'll be glad you did. Engine runs much cooler, quieter, better mpg, more power etc.

Sounds expensive and very time consuming. I just dont have the time for that. Besides... I like my 8mpg.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Joshua Jones
New User
Joshua ..I still did not get your Email from the PM....If you still want the connectors that is ....And I disagree with the statement about Holleys....I have never adjusted mine in 20 years...Idle only .....I could train a Monkey to adjust them...it is that easy...Carters are Boat anchors if you have enough of them....
Strange.. send me a PM and I'll respond with the email.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Joshua Jones
New User
Just an update. Intake, Gaskets and new coil ordered. Should be here tuesday.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I've had quite a number of holleys, and my experience has been a steady hate for them, yes I know how to adjust them and no I'd never have one on a daily driver, in fact my 351M after the rebuild on the top and cam, the holley did nothing but give me a fit, I put a used edelbrock on it that came off a 302 that I got from a friend, didn't even adjust it, fixed it.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There are aftermarket FI kits for this engine, depends on where you live if you can use them. One guy in kalif was looking and said they dont pass their kookie emissions for use. Do a search and get rid of the carb system altogether, plus install a better ignition system. I put a ignition system on my 89 f250 and it made a world of difference. Same one as mentioned in another post. I did the MSD coil, high power spark leads and the power box. I also added a fipk type filter system

Old 09-07-2014, 03:08 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
You need to buy a Holley ...Holley's are the best carbs for Ford....

Edelbrock has the Carter blueprints, they make a version of it, Fords love Carter, Holly is junk, unless you like constantly having to adjust them, I've had many, always buy a vehicle with one, and it runs wonderfully once I swap it out. Ford factory intakes are square bore, that carb is a square bore, I don't understand the issue with mounting it, only GM and Mopar have different mounting arrangements, they are often a spread bore.

Guys the van doesn't give a crap what brand the carb is! It has more to do with how the carb is tuned then what brand it is. The holley is more tuneable which can also cause more problems. The Edelbrock/Carter is a simpler design that is less prone to leaks then the Holley is.

And maples01 Ford did have spread bore carbs on some Cleveland and 429/460 v8's.

Joshua make sure to inspect all the fuel lines, hoses and fuel filters. To me it sounds like it's starving for gas under load. Make sure you don't have a fuel filter down on the frame rail that's plugged up. I don't remember if the 84 has the dual electric fuel pumps. If it does you could also have a bad pump.

I don't think your problem is a vacuum leak. Usually a vacuum leak would cause a rough idle problem.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Joshua Jones
New User
Originally Posted by fordman75
Guys the van doesn't give a crap what brand the carb is! It has more to do with how the carb is tuned then what brand it is. The holley is more tuneable which can also cause more problems. The Edelbrock/Carter is a simpler design that is less prone to leaks then the Holley is.

And maples01 Ford did have spread bore carbs on some Cleveland and 429/460 v8's.

Joshua make sure to inspect all the fuel lines, hoses and fuel filters. To me it sounds like it's starving for gas under load. Make sure you don't have a fuel filter down on the frame rail that's plugged up. I don't remember if the 84 has the dual electric fuel pumps. If it does you could also have a bad pump.

I don't think your problem is a vacuum leak. Usually a vacuum leak would cause a rough idle problem.
Thanks. I've only seen one filter and it was at the carb. It was one if the cone style filters and has since been removed. The van does have duel electric pumps with a switcher on the frame. I've actually dropped one tank and pulled the pump. It was in bad shape but still pumping.

The new intake is installed. I just need to route the vacuum lines correctly and time the engine. Hoping to get finished up this week. My silly self didn't take before pics so now I need to find a vacuum routing diagram. Anyone know where to find one? Any advice on timing th engine?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Joshua Jones
New User

I also just picked up a set of these bad boys for the van. I couldn't resist.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Nice tire, I always loved their design, now be warned, they are soft rubber, designed for off road capabilities, the pavement will eat them up, if you van is for street only, congratulations, you bought a tire that will be lucky to reach 28,000 miles.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Joshua Jones
New User
Nice tire, I always loved their design, now be warned, they are soft rubber, designed for off road capabilities, the pavement will eat them up, if you van is for street only, congratulations, you bought a tire that will be lucky to reach 28,000 miles.
I bought them 100% for looks. But let's see... I'll probably put less than 4000 miles on this van a year... 28,000 miles/4000 a year. 7 years of tire life. That's ok in my book. Not to mention these are radials and load range E. I personally think they'll last longer than 28k. But who cares... Like I said... I bought them for looks.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 PM
elltom
Freshman User
28,000 miles,at 10mpg....2,800 gallons, at $3.50 per gallon....$9,800 your going to spend to wear those tires out. Sound economic principle.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Joshua Jones
New User
Originally Posted by elltom
28,000 miles,at 10mpg....2,800 gallons, at $3.50 per gallon....$9,800 your going to spend to wear those tires out. Sound economic principle.
Hahahahaha... Sure didn't get this van to save on gas.

Quick Reply: My 84 E350. Could use advice.