6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM
bthr22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple questions

Have an 05 6.0 F350.

In the outlet where the cig lighter is, I have a 4-way switchable power splitter that usually only has my CB and phone charger plugged into it. The other day I was fiddling with it trying to find the best reception for a crappy radio transmitter to play my music. (Switching between the cig lighter and extra power outlet). I have used all three on that plug before with no issue, but now there is no power to the outlet with any of my devices. Everything else works perfectly, including the extra outlet. So could this just be a fuse that blew, or could it be some other cause? My first assumption is to check the fuse, I just haven't had time this week to find the right fuse and check it. And unless I'm mistaken, I though more electronics were on the same fuse as the lighter?

Also, I commute to work about 35 min one way every day, and I have read that letting the truck get up to or near operating temp before driving will ultimately save more fuel than just starting up and going. so I usually let it warm up for at least 10 minutes before driving to work. I have noticed on the two or three times I've driven pretty much dead cold (all summer temps) that the truck lacks a lot of its normal power. I'd always go real easy on the throttle when accelerating. And even when it warms up for a few minutes, but not fully warm, if I romp it a bit when getting on the highway or pulling out of a parking lot between traffic, I get a good bit of soot from the tailpipe. And zero soot when in the same situation and fully warm.
Today I was reading one of the EGR threads and some members were discussing idle times and suggested a 1-3 minute warm up before driving. So the question is based on that, and what I have personally observed, what is the best practice? Am I idling too long on warmup, or am I actually benefitting? Obviously my first priority is maintaining a healthy truck and avoiding unnecessary repair and maintenance costs, but I also want to save the most money I can on fuel. This rookie 6.0 owner would greatly appreciate the veteran owner opinions. Thanks!

Also, I guess I should note that I know that as far as saving fuel, nothing beats driving habits. I generally don't start from a stop like a jackrabbit. Sometimes I do, because you can't own a 6.0 and not have it push you back into your seat sometimes. And when cruising, I religiously keep the tach under 2k rpm and use cruise control when traffic and road conditions are safe. But two good habits will save more than one good habit. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
I would never spend more than a minute for "warm-up". Just take it easy until the temp gauge starts moving up. Avoid full throttle starts until up to normal temps.

Is that really SOOT? Or is it just black smoke? I would pull the EGR vale to check for wet conditions. The long warm-up may well be the reason for the exhausted "soot".

Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 AM
bthr22
Senior User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I would never spend more than a minute for "warm-up". Just take it easy until the temp gauge starts moving up. Avoid full throttle starts until up to normal temps.

Is that really SOOT? Or is it just black smoke? I would pull the EGR vale to check for wet conditions. The long warm-up may well be the reason for the exhausted "soot".
I'm taking a couch down to my sister a couple hours away today, so I'll give the shorter warm up a try.

I haven't had the time to pull the EGR yet with full time school and nearly full time work. Maybe I'll see about doing that this weekend. Considering that it happens when not 100% to operating temps and only at nearly full throttle! I was thinking it is just unburnt fuel. But I'm not familiar enough with the EGR system and their failures yet to know for certain. I never get any white smoke though. I'd really like to just do an EGR delete and not have to worry about it.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:53 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
The OBD2 port is also on the Cig lighter fuse. Ford recommends not using the CIG lighter for other electronics. Thus, the power port. Which is on it's own fuse.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
The OBD2 port is also on the Cig lighter fuse. Ford recommends not using the CIG lighter for other electronics. Thus, the power port. Which is on it's own fuse.
Ahh, I see. Well that's kind of lame. I hate the look of wires hanging off my dash like that. It's so much neater with my splitter plugged in low. I did notice on the drive home that the obdII port wasn't working. So I guess I'll be buying a fuse.