Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Gone to the dark side!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:12 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gone to the dark side!

Yup, I've gone and done it. Jumped off of the V-8s and joined world of V-6s and turbos. Ya, I'm sure a few of you read that subject and figured, oh lord....

The 5.0 in my 11 was ok. It always seemed to be lacking in power but it always got the job done. In spite of the past few months of ongoing electrical gremlins. I used to laugh at folks who complained about how much of a hassle (messy) changing the oil/filter on a 5.0. Boy compared to my EB, it was a breeze.

Now it's time for a couple simple mods/upgrades and hopefully many good and carefree miles.

I will be posting, in the appropriate place a few items for sale, that I no longer need from this truck.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats, and good luck with it!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
You had me fooled as New England seems to be a majority GM region. Great looking truck, hopefully she'll serve you well.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Looks really nice! Any comments on how the two engines compare?

Originally Posted by tseekins
You had me fooled as New England seems to be a majority GM region. Great looking truck, hopefully she'll serve you well.
Ha ha, maybe it's something in the water up here. I think the new GM trucks are the best looking trucks on the road. Perhaps I should switch to bottled water and beer?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I'll have to keep an eye out for it when you pass through town here. It was easy to spot your old truck because of your grill and license plate. But there aren't many blue flame FX4's around here so I'm sure I'll still recognize you.
As for the difficulty of oil changes. I haven't really noticed it because I have a 2 post lift and I remove the skid plate to gain easy access to everything. The biggest PITA is the 2 way drain tray that drains to the front and the rear. Removing the skid plate allows you to wipe the drain tray clean so it doesn't continue to drip and make a mess. But I can see how removing the skid plate could be a PITA while laying on your back.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Ha ha, maybe it's something in the water up here. I think the new GM trucks are the best looking trucks on the road. Perhaps I should switch to bottled water and beer?
I still can't get passed those square wheel wells.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I still can't get passed those square wheel wells.
I am with you Nassty!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
There is nothing on the new GM twins that I can honestly say that I do like. Not even from a design/aesthetic p.o.v..

Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Nice truck. That blue is my favorite color. Lucky for me the dealer through in an oil change package, when I bought my truck.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Good luck with the new truck! With the EcoBoost you will never look back!!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:06 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Nice looking truck. Congrats!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:08 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Yeah that blue flame is hard NOT to like.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Let's see, responding to comments in no particular order.

The 5.0 vs EB is night and day. So far my the EB has shown me an improvement in mileage, which is a real surprise considering the number of folks on these sites that have poor results. And like all, I love the torque, something the 5.0 certainly lacks. And I bought the truck because of the deal and it had the stuff on it that I wanted. Not specifically for the EB, but I'm still pleased.

Ya, oil changes on the ground aren't all that great. But it was just a surprise that it was more of a hassle than I expected. Especially since most of the complaints I've read on these sites have been on 5.0's. Those are so easy. Now I know the what's required, so no biggie.

Ya, GM trucks are certainly popular here in NE. And I did walk the local Chevy/GMC lot to check them out. Sat in one loaded up GMC and while it was nice, it's not as nice as our Fords. So, that decision was easy. But I still had the F150 vs F250 decision to make. Money was the driving factor on that, 2015 SD's have minimal discounts/rebates locally, so with the questionable employment future the job shop I work in has, I figured it would be safer to go for the money side vs the everything I want side of the deal.

Now, I have to determine which tires and what size to go for. Those stockers are horrible. And will this one get Bilstein HD's or 5100's. Not sure if I want to level or not but the price difference between the two is minimal so having the option to level is appealing. The last challenge, is finding a tire shop that wont screw up my wheels. The place I have been going for 15 plus years, has issues damaging the flangeless style wheels. They even replaced and damaged the replacements. So, I'm not sure where to go. Anyone know of a good place in central NH?

Time to make the donuts.....

Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by svt2205
The 5.0 vs EB is night and day. So far my the EB has shown me an improvement in mileage, which is a real surprise considering the number of folks on these sites that have poor results. And like all, I love the torque, something the 5.0 certainly lacks. And I bought the truck because of the deal and it had the stuff on it that I wanted. Not specifically for the EB, but I'm still pleased.
That's sort of what I expected to hear, but I've never driven a 5.0L F150. Glad to hear you like the EB.

Now, I have to determine which tires and what size to go for. Those stockers are horrible. And will this one get Bilstein HD's or 5100's. Not sure if I want to level or not but the price difference between the two is minimal so having the option to level is appealing. The last challenge, is finding a tire shop that wont screw up my wheels. The place I have been going for 15 plus years, has issues damaging the flangeless style wheels. They even replaced and damaged the replacements. So, I'm not sure where to go. Anyone know of a good place in central NH?
Unfortunately not, my parents live in Concord but they haven't lived there long enough to know a good shop. I'm sure your dealer could do it though.

Originally Posted by svt2205
Time to make the donuts.....
You work at Dunkin? You're my HERO!

Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Nope, not a dunkin's employee. I'm an engineer at a local job shop/machine shop.

The local Ford dealers aren't an option. I've had poor results on simple things from most of them on and off for the past 15 plus years. My selling dealer is 2 hours away, so that's not an option either. I'll find a solution. But thanks!

First mod will be the installation of the 5100's. They arrived yesterday and if I can decide on the height, they will go in over the weekend. One things for sure, the factory units are horrible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gone to the dark side!