I think I broke my 2003 F-350 6 Liter when I changes the stereo WEIRD STUFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 AM
MrManimal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I broke my 2003 F-350 6 Liter when I changes the stereo WEIRD STUFF

This is my first post as this is my first problem I can not figure out. Today I installed new Kenwood 6*8 2 channel speakers into my doors without much issue, just had to clip a little harness that would not fit the speakers. I then installed a 2 Din Kenwood Stereo. I had to cut off the wiring harness and just twist and wrap the wire individually. I had the wiring diagrams for both the stereo and truck right the and they were correct. I also had to break out the lower plastic piece inside the dash to fit the 2 Din in the slot. Everything was hooked up, I put put the dash and the door panels back on and I turned the truck into the On position. It beeped a few times, the radio came on and sounded great, I leaned back for a sec and then the truck started. The truck turned over without me turning the key. I shut it off. A few minutes later I had to move the truck, out of curiosity I just turned it to on, again it started itself. I shut it off. I disconnected the new stereos wiring harness. Still my truck won't start. Now all it does is when I turn the key to on, it beeps a few time, then there is a quick noise like a fan trying to engage, when I try to turn it over all the lit dashlights and the dome light flash and the engine just clicks rapidly. Any ideas? I am stumped/

Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Do you have a alarm system and or a remote start system also? I can't find anything in the radio circuits that would make it crank over and start, or not crank over at all.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:39 AM
MrManimal
New User
There was no remote start or alarm when I bought it. I went out this morning to work on it. Here are a few more and updated things the truck is doing. When I turn the key to on the is a loud rapid clicking sound that happens near the dip stick from what I can hear, then the instrument cluster all gets intermittent power. When I try to turn it over all of the gauge shoot up like mph gas ect. When I leave it in the on position, there is a fast clicking like a blinker is going out and the trailer brakes and a few lights on the instrument panel click on and off with the sound. This really has me stumped....

Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM
MrManimal
New User
A few more updates before I take the weekend off and go fishing. Now when I try to start there is just loud clicking like a bad starter and all of my instruments and dash lights flicker. When I leave it in the on position there is a click from the fuse boxes that is rapid coming from I believe the starter relay. There is also a click that is in unisun with the fuse coming from I think it is a fuel filter right next to the dip stick. It really hurts having a 14000 piece of metal that I am still paying on.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:34 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
You obviously cut wires you shouldn't have. Can you remember how to put everything back to where it was? Have you checked your battery (s)? Low voltage causes all kinds of problems.

Also, the previous owner must have done some electrical work on it too..... any way to contact him to see what he had done?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Franklin2
You know what it sounds like to me? A dead battery. If your battery is not dead, then there is a poor/corroded connection at the battery.

I believe you enjoyed your new stereo a little too long and have ran down the battery.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Hey Dave..... great minds, eh?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Hey Dave..... great minds, eh?
I missed that sentence in your post, or I would have mentioned it. Hopefully he didn't overlook it like I did.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

If he didn't get mine, hopefully he got yours!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 PM
MrManimal
New User
There is no way to contact the old owner. I was out of town and just got back. I currently have the batteries unhooked and am about to get them tested when the volt meter shows up. But I still go back to the original problem when I installed the stereo. When I turned the key to on, the stereo worked great but after about 30 seconds the truck started itself. That is my biggest concern, any ideas?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 PM
MrManimal
New User
I again went through the wires, they are wired correctly. The batteries are low so I am charging them tonight. When we tried to jump it, the gauges stayed normal so that was refreshing. I did 3 different method I read to reset the computer, so hopefully when I charge the batteries it will work. And I did not enjoy the stereo too long. It was only on for about 60 seconds.

I think what may have happened was the computer freaked out from the new stereo, which caused it to draw power from the batteries, start the engine and all those other good things, which lead to the drained batteries. Since I reset the computer (I think) it should now work fine when the batteries are charged. I will update when I finish charging them.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM
MrManimal
New User
Charged batteries didn't do it either. I guess I am going to have to get it towed to the shop and spend a quick $1000...... I have installed hundreds of stereos in my life, and I rechecked this 1 at least 20 times. I am really starting to regret getting this truck.....

Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

It's prob a wiring prob from the previous owner.....then you disturbed it. Without knowing WHAT he did - or had done - no way to figure it out. YOu can't trace the VIN and find out who had it last? Sure would be better than spending a grand!

Old 09-11-2014, 02:12 PM
MrManimal
New User
UPDATES! So I had to get a new starter as the stereo was sending a signal to the start to go once the ignition was in the on position. Traced it down to a red w/ bl wire. It has a spot in the original harness and is apparently always hot but I have no idea what it is for. I have 2 wires actually that are there when they are not supposed to be. On the diagram here they are pins f and g and they are not supposed to be there. F=Rd/Bl G= Bl