Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E4OD Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E4OD Shifting issues

Trans is acting up again, the e4od is becoming more trouble than it is worth since I bought the truck but it keeps chugging along.

Background of truck 430,000 km's, transmission was rebuilt with a heavy duty shift kit, and new tc like 7000 km's ago.
3.55 gearing and 315/75/R16 Tires, not sure if relevant in this case or not.

So for the last year my NSS/harness was broken/wired wrong so I just screw driver started it (later installed push button start), and I had no reverse lights.
After replacing the NSS 3 times and finally a forth with a ford one, I could turn key start the truck in neutral but still not in park. It shifted fine this whole time after tuning the fipl thanks to a long standing member whom I can no-longer give rep too.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ions-only.html

So I took some time off and finally tacked rewiring the harness as well as lifting the truck, and a number of other things I had put off for ages due to lack of time.

Dug up a NSS wiring diagram, and the truck starts up beautifully, reverse lights work, etc.

Well now the truck hauls like a bat out of hell when I drop the throttle down, issue is it will not shift below 2000-2500 rpm's.
Great if this truck was for racing, kinda **** as a DD, it's bleeding my fuel pretty fast and I'm wondering if the diagram I used was wrong (as it doesn't specify diesel) or if I have something else wrong with my truck I need to track down.

Also 1 out of every like 50 times I drop the throttle down (since rebuild of trans) it will slip out of gear rev up to like 3500+ or until I let off the gas then be right back in gear as if nothing happened.

Here is the diagram.

Few videos to show how it behaves.

Half Throttle
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J2xP05HGNI4?vq=highres" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

WoT

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aJ7uu6maNus?list=UU_vIT4j0p-DVkjr8hm-SpSw&vq=highres" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

WoT up hill (makes great time for a N/A imho)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VZWzO1UI2is?list=UU_vIT4j0p-DVkjr8hm-SpSw&vq=highres" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Old 08-29-2014, 10:07 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
whats the age/miles on the FIPL/TPS and it's idle/WOT voltages?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Less than a year, and 1.2 at idle and 3.9-4.0 at WoT.

Have a new one, this started to act up half a year ago off road, i wiggled it and it went back to working. Bought a spare and it hasn't acted up enough to need to replace it.
But seeing as the wire to the trans was going god knows where till I rewired it, now "theoretically" it is correct in wondering if the nss ate it from having power improperly run through it.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:17 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Is it at all possible the Shift Solenoid Plug could be affecting my trans?

Mine is not as bad as the photo you posted over in your other thread, but when I looked at it yesterday and cleaned it a bit due to oil buildup it didn't look great.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-harness.html

Or are these separate things, I have no OD flash like you mentioned in that thread.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
the tps/fipl setting and the vehicles speed is how it knows when to shift (with rpms too of course) for the larger tires did you adjust the odo? maybe that's messing up things? the only other thing i could think of is there is a high altitude control unit and a normal one.perhaps you have the wrong one for the truck and where it's driven?
if you ease into the throttle and take off real easy like granny,will it just shift easy into the next gears or it just wont upshift at all until high rpms?
how long have you had this issue? was it always like this or what changed/when did you notice it started hanging onto the gears too long and didn't want to upshift easy?

the shift solenoids/pack is either working or it isn't.your solenoids and that plug should be fine (at least not likely to be the issue at hand.)

if you want,try setting the TPS to:
1.15 to 1.17 rather than 1.2 and she may (scratch that.i know it will) upshift sooner/easier for ya.i would personally make sure my conversion constant (odo) was properly set/calibrated for the tires first,if that's not done yet.
there's an article here on how to set it.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
My speedo is off, I know that much for certain, something like 8%, I do the rough math in my head. I was planning on putting off reprogramming it till I put the 4.10 gears I have in her.

I'm fairly confident after reading a **** ton over the last day on this that it is the NSS switch incorrectly wired again. I found a thread on a dead NSS that you chimed in on where he found two conflicting wiring diagrams, and when I took it apart and used the following diagram as a reference I was blown away by how none of them were close to being right so I have a feeling that I used the wrong one.

The Diagram:

The Thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ty-switch.html

You linked to a thread on FSB that the guy referred to the truck slipping into neutral if the NSS is not working properly which is what I have had happen to me since I rewired the NSS a year ago.

Thread:
1994 Bronco E4OD MLPS Replacement - FSB Forums

FSB Forums - View Single Post - 1994 Bronco E4OD MLPS Replacement

If you happened to know which diagram would be correct for a 92 (I think it was 95 it changed, so probably your truck's as well) I would be greatly appreciative.

Currently replacing my positive battery cable (Terminal split in half last night when I was trying to rig my hid's back into working order on the side of the freeway in the dark)
Once that is done I'm attacking the NSS, then going through my harness for the tps/fipl to see if there are any shorts as well.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i don't have time to check out those links right now.i just got in to post up some pics of working on the f450.im gunna grab a shower and some supper first,however so as not to leave ya hanging,you can find the correct MLPS wiring to compare here in this album some place:
idi/e40d specs by FORDF250HDXLT | Ford-Trucks

Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
I got it working, the ground and 4x4 wire were reversed. She just ran 55mph up the hill I did in the third video like it was nothing.
Wonder what she'll be like whenever I get around to throwing the turbo on her.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
awesome.