1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer incentive patterns and predictions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 AM
OldHat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer incentive patterns and predictions

I would like to know if there is anyone on the web that has done an analysis of Ford incentives. In other words, when is typically the highest incentives through the year? The core question is when is the best time to buy?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Big Vic
Senior User
I bought my truck off the lot, right after Xmas, last day of the month and year. There was a $5000 Ford credit for using their financing, which I paid off 1 week later and got to keep the credit. I was able to get the final price down below dealer invoice which turned out to be about 25% off MSRP (including the Ford credit).

Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 AM
OldHat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Big Vic
I bought my truck off the lot, right after Xmas, last day of the month and year. There was a $5000 Ford credit for using their financing, which I paid off 1 week later and got to keep the credit. I was able to get the final price down below dealer invoice which turned out to be about 25% off MSRP (including the Ford credit).
That's a good deal!

Thanks for the info. I would really like to see sales figures by month but my understanding is that Fords does not release this kind of information.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 PM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have posted before - based upon some time selling GMC trucks, Pontiac's and Jeeps - when I first retired. While all the companies offer up special programs at various times of the year to boost sales - ya just have to watch for those programs - but almost al of the companies monitor sales results by the calendar month and offer incentives to the dealerships and salespeople based upon the number of vehicles sold in a month.

So the best time is early in the morning on the last sales day of the calendar month. A dealership that say had a trigger of selling 50 vehicles per month results in a "bonus" from the manufacture of $500.00 per vehicle sold - including all new vehicles sold that month so the bonus is worth $25,000 to the dealership - they will do almost anything on that last day of the month to sell a vehicle or 2 in order to meet their "trigger" number. The can easily give you stuff - discount a service contract - sell below cost - whatever it takes to sell that vehicle that day. If the take a $1000.00 loss on paper selling one or two vehicles in order to get the bonus of $25,000 it works for them. Once they hit their trigger - they are really not interested in making any special deals because they want you to come back and be a statistic towards next months bonus. The same applies to the salespeople on a much smaller scale, but same principal.

So best time is early in the day - last calendar day of the month.

That's my first hand experience - use the information if you think it's helpful - ignore it if not.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 PM
dpayne7571
Senior User
Originally Posted by djm1204
I have posted before - based upon some time selling GMC trucks, Pontiac's and Jeeps - when I first retired. While all the companies offer up special programs at various times of the year to boost sales - ya just have to watch for those programs - but almost al of the companies monitor sales results by the calendar month and offer incentives to the dealerships and salespeople based upon the number of vehicles sold in a month. So the best time is early in the morning on the last sales day of the calendar month. A dealership that say had a trigger of selling 50 vehicles per month results in a "bonus" from the manufacture of $500.00 per vehicle sold - including all new vehicles sold that month so the bonus is worth $25,000 to the dealership - they will do almost anything on that last day of the month to sell a vehicle or 2 in order to meet their "trigger" number. The can easily give you stuff - discount a service contract - sell below cost - whatever it takes to sell that vehicle that day. If the take a $1000.00 loss on paper selling one or two vehicles in order to get the bonus of $25,000 it works for them. Once they hit their trigger - they are really not interested in making any special deals because they want you to come back and be a statistic towards next months bonus. The same applies to the salespeople on a much smaller scale, but same principal. So best time is early in the day - last calendar day of the month. That's my first hand experience - use the information if you think it's helpful - ignore it if not.
Makes sense and very useful. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 AM
OldHat
Freshman User
Yes, thanks, that was very useful.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they let you walk off the lot without accepting a deal, I doubt you'll be hearing from the dealer. And, I agree you should not buy the warranty extension from the dealer. They are highly overpriced. That is why they push so hard when they're doing the final paperwork to get a commission. Happy hunting, Jag

Old 11-17-2016, 05:14 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Sometimes Ford sends you a brochure with a "private cash offer" I got a Super Duty brochure yesterday that included a $750 private cash offer that can be used in conjunction with any other incentive offered by Ford.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Wow, nice score! I'm going to go check my mail box. 💵 Jag

Old 11-17-2016, 01:57 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
not sure if buying on the last day of the year is real money savings.

1st day of the new year, book value should be less....so did you save X grand of the new book value or the old one????

I seem to have the best luck in February, like the last week of February. I thought that febuary was the end of the retail year, new book values are in place, seems like theres always a rebate on top of that.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I've always been told to buy on the last weekend of the month. But I think that there must be some flexibility because some dealers will extend their sales a few days. Maybe as long as it is still in the same month? Jag

Old 11-17-2016, 02:55 PM
defekticon
Senior User
My question, are there any offers that beat x-plan pricing? I was looking into a 2016 F350 Dually and X-plan beat all the other offers that were out at the time.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:01 PM
jasoncar40
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by defekticon
My question, are there any offers that beat x-plan pricing? I was looking into a 2016 F350 Dually and X-plan beat all the other offers that were out at the time.
Besides Ford employee discounts, I doubt there is anything that will beat X-Plan, b/c with an X-Plan you still get all offered rebates and incentives.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
not sure if buying on the last day of the year is real money savings.

1st day of the new year, book value should be less....so did you save X grand of the new book value or the old one????

I seem to have the best luck in February, like the last week of February. I thought that febuary was the end of the retail year, new book values are in place, seems like theres always a rebate on top of that.
I bought mine on February 28th. MSRP on my XL was 43,045. I ended up giving 34,500 for it. Not quite the 25% off MSRP that was mentioned earlier, but there is a lot more wiggle room on the higher end trucks. You do not save nearly as much on x plan buying a XL as you do buying a King Ranch. There is a ton of profit worked into all the "bells and whistles".

Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I have been spending a lot of time on the SoCal Ford websites. And it seems that
There are tons of $50-60K F-150 trucks. Who will buy these? It would seem logical that it will take a lot more of an incentive than the $8-9K we are currently seeing. Are $20K discounts in the near future? Or, will the dealers just let these trucks sit in the inventories? I asked for a quote on one of the two 2015 F-150s in stock in an LA dealership. They offered the same discount as a 2016. Jag

Quick Reply: Dealer incentive patterns and predictions