6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bam! Engine died

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Bam! Engine died

Interesting thing happened yesterday evening....

Heading to son's football practice after work, merging onto the interstate, so I'm pretty good into the throttle...

I hear/feel a "Bam/Wham" type of shock or event, and the engine just stops pulling. I was in 4th about to shift into 5th. I'm checking my cluster, no CEL, no "Pull over safely" or any of that. In fact, no error messages at all. no WIF light, nothing.

No smoke from the tailpipe, no clatter from the engine, it dropped into 3rd from 4th as I made my way to the shoulder. My first thought is "well, there goes that rubber/plastic turbo outlet hose that's prone to failure". I pull onto the shoulder and brake to a stop, the engine dies. I think my engine brake had been holding the gears in until I completely stopped.

So I'm sitting there checking the cluster for messages, checking for any smoke or steam from the engine bay or tailpipe, checking for ANY clues as to what just happened, and coming up with nothing.

I turn off the ignition, and start the truck right back up, no hesitation, no missing, again, no tailpipe smoke, no engine clatter. I tach it up in park a few times, revs smooth and consistent, makes a little boost, everything looks just like normal. If it'd been my outlet hose I wouldn't have been able to do that....

So I put it in D and pull back onto the lane and continue onto the park. I get there and pop the hood, checking that known weak link hose, it's perfect. I'm looking under the truck for any leaks, everything's dry...

Didn't have my Torque hooked up at the time, so I checked for any DTC's just now after getting to work, and came back with none. Truck drove and ran just like normal the remainder of last night and this morning, so what was it? If it was an EGT sensor spazzing out and shutting me down, wouldn't I have that DTC to work with?

Anybody ever had this happen to em?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I never had anything like that happen to my 2011. Its odd that the engine died but didn't throw any codes. Hopefully it was just a transient engine hiccup.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the PCM didn't "see" anything, that means it was "asleep". The only way to do that is Power/Grounds/loose connections.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,966 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
If the PCM didn't "see" anything, that means it was "asleep". The only way to do that is Power/Grounds/loose connections.
I had that happen to me, but mine fried everything
It's funny now, but at the time it wasn't. Mine ended up being the voltage regulator in the alternator sent it on an overcharging mission that fried everything. From what you described, I think vloney nailed it.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
subscribing.

Communications between computer and such will do this.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Throw that up there with the list of odd things the PCM "doesn't notice" with a CEL.
My turbo stopped providing boost without a CEL one day and was only fixed after a tow to the dealer. You would think 0 PSI boost and a 6.7L that sounded like a 6.0L would have thrown a CEL.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:46 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Originally Posted by vloney
Thanks V, I took a quick look at the 3 big clip/plugs right there at the pass side firewall, nothing out of the norm there, where else might be a good place to check?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
And I mean, it wasn't just like a sudden "vroom" to "buuuhhh" moment, there was a very noticeable/alarming drivetrain shock, when the engine quit pulling. It wasn't so much a sound, as a feel, I felt the impact of whatever happened. I was waiting for a rod to exit the block or a plume of smoke to exit the hood or tailpipe.

I almost expected the transmission or torque converter had let go, and I was expecting the motor to rev waaaaay up the split second or two it took me to let off the throttle, but it never did, it wasn't interested whatsoever in accelerating in those few seconds. The event was that dramatic, that's why I'm a little concerned over the whole thing.

I'd leave it with the dealer and let my ESP warranty handle it, but I don't know what to tell them, and if it won't do it again or leave me any clues, I can't justify doing without it for a day or two of "well we couldn't find anything"

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Chuck, sorry to hear of the problem.
If you don't know what to look for as far as power and ground distribution, you should at least get the dealer involved so they know of the issues before it leaves you stranded. Just my .02 Good luck !

Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Subscribing.....

My truck is doing similar (as well as not starting .... sometimes). When it dies while driving it is only "violent" if I am on the throttle and it is in the process of shifting gears. Otherwise it just shuts down and coast to a stop. Then it fires right back up and runs fine (usually). Has died while driving about 10 times.

No codes, ford says it's fine ....

It has been getting torn apart by an independent shop for 2 weeks ... nothing yet.

Mine did it a couple of times about a year ago then was fine for a year and recently it is getting quite frequent.

Good luck ..........

Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Thanks V, I took a quick look at the 3 big clip/plugs right there at the pass side firewall, nothing out of the norm there, where else might be a good place to check?
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gal...edium/0134.JPG [http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/data/500/medium/0214.JPG[/url]http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/data/500/medium/0196.JPG[/url] http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gal...edium/0225.JPG http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gal...edium/0343.JPG

Old 10-27-2014, 02:18 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
did it again yesterday

Kinda the same scenario, I was "driving angry"
yesterday, and outta nowhere, BAM! buuuuuuhhhhh......wtf

This time I was clipping along pretty good, so I put it in neutral for a sec, trying to re-engage the trans. Nothing. Tried again, nothing. Went ahead and left it in neutral, engine dies. Coast to a stop, shut the ignition off, wait a few seconds, fire it back up, ****** D and scald about 1,000 miles off my new $$ MT's....

I put 800 pretty hard miles on the truck yesterday, and this is the only time it did this. I'm stumped. No codes, no lights, no clues at all.....I was thinking torque converter for a second, but with the engine shutting off that wouldn't be it....

Guessing I'll be dropping it off at the dealer when I find time

Old 10-27-2014, 06:36 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Kinda the same scenario, I was "driving angry" Groundhog Day - Dont Drive Angry - YouTube yesterday, and outta nowhere, BAM! buuuuuuhhhhh......wtf

This time I was clipping along pretty good, so I put it in neutral for a sec, trying to re-engage the trans. Nothing. Tried again, nothing. Went ahead and left it in neutral, engine dies. Coast to a stop, shut the ignition off, wait a few seconds, fire it back up, ****** D and scald about 1,000 miles off my new $$ MT's....

I put 800 pretty hard miles on the truck yesterday, and this is the only time it did this. I'm stumped. No codes, no lights, no clues at all.....I was thinking torque converter for a second, but with the engine shutting off that wouldn't be it....

Guessing I'll be dropping it off at the dealer when I find time
Look at the three large connectors under the degas bottle. Might be easier to remove the inner fender panel to look at them.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey brother, Darren said his was a bad fuse holder. Fuse holder #50. Might want to check around if you've got time.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...Guessing I'll be dropping it off at the dealer when I find time
Have you decided to swing by your dealer yet, BlackBeest? Keep us posted.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Bam! Engine died