Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Hard Start, hot day, almost stranded again

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:26 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Realslowww
Is there anything you can add to the fuel to help pump seal better or nurse along.

I've heard of adding motor oil to the fuel to help a dying pump, but I don't know how much oil.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 AM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It only seems to do it when the light does not come on for glow plug, it is a 1994 T model. Is there anything you can add to the fuel to help pump seal better or nurse along.

I talked to Mel about a injector pump the Moose Model and he was real helpful, is his about as good as a rebuild out there? I liked him and would buy one but want a good one.

I appreciate all of you all chiming in.
R&D IDI performance

From everything I have heard on the forums, these are the best out there. I have never heard a complaint on any of his products, I have on other companies. Justin has pretty much pioneered the high performance IDI. If you want the full history of it read Project Smogie It gives all of the back history and LOTS of information on the IDI engine.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:29 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
well if it fires right up after sitting overnight then it's not fuel draining back (air intrusion.)

if the engine is warm you could disconnect the GP controller and the engine will start right up.the 87+ system won't glow the plugs on a warm engine anyway.the light might just flicker is all.gp's are just not required to start a warm diesel engine.the ip getting heat soaked just happens to happen at the same time the plugs don't need to be turned on by the controller cus that's when everything is warm.

the moose pumps may very well be good pumps.i don't personally know why they costs hundreds more than say the reputable shops such as thedieselstore,usdieselparts,several authorized stanadyne dealers etc. if you know the reason(s) why the moose is worth hundreds more and your satisfied with the reason(s) then go for it.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:34 AM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
I've heard of adding motor oil to the fuel to help a dying pump, but I don't know how much oil.
That will help a dying pump build pressure as it will increase the viscosity of the fuel, but if it is used oil the carbon in it will wear the pump quicker. A quart of ATF per tank of fuel is supposed to decrease wear on the pump.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anybody had a problem with the Government testing fuel and say it's Red dyed so it's off road fuel then fining them when you add ATF to your fuel?

Thanks for all the help, any input on a new pump is welcome. I have a outfit here locally who specializes in diesels and can do a turnaround locally in 24 hours or so. The guy at Moose was just very helpful but I have to send it out which is not as good but Mel at Moose was claiming his product took all day to rebuild because of the care they took when doing it.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordtruckman838
R&D IDI performance

From everything I have heard on the forums, these are the best out there. I have never heard a complaint on any of his products, I have on other companies. Justin has pretty much pioneered the high performance IDI. If you want the full history of it read Project Smogie It gives all of the back history and LOTS of information on the IDI engine.

Just out of curiosity how does a completely worked IDI compare to a PS 7.3, I know a direct injection has advantages and also the oil pressure operated injectors would be more efficient. Correct or in correct?

Old 09-07-2014, 10:32 PM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
Just out of curiosity how does a completely worked IDI compare to a PS 7.3, I know a direct injection has advantages and also the oil pressure operated injectors would be more efficient. Correct or in correct?
The IDI makes more hp for the amount of fuel than the powerstroke and more miles/gallon when properly tuned up. It is also cheaper to build to the 400 hp range by a bit, but past that it begins to get difficult due to parts availability.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thankyou sir!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:36 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is about 10 liters of dye per 1000 gallons of fuel, 1 quart of atf will not change the color of your fuel pre 88 glow systems use a temp sensor, late models do not. depending on circumstance's glows may be needed to start a engine that has been shut off for 1 hour, if the ip is worn it can cause the symptoms described, hold your foot on the floor when cranking.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
So if it acts up push pedal to floor to get cold fresh fuel to help seal so pump will fire injectors?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 AM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
So if it acts up push pedal to floor to get cold fresh fuel to help seal so pump will fire injectors?
Yep! it allows fuel to flow through the pump and cool it. The owners manual for these engines recommends it on every start as it gives it more fuel so it can fire easier.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thank you Sir!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordtruckman838
Yep! it allows fuel to flow through the pump and cool it. The owners manual for these engines recommends it on every start as it gives it more fuel so it can fire easier.

I was just out there starting it with my foot to the floor, can doing that flood it? it was acting funny and started right up cold but then died and took a few cranks to get it going again.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:22 AM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
I was just out there starting it with my foot to the floor, can doing that flood it? it was acting funny and started right up cold but then died and took a few cranks to get it going again.
Diesels don't act quite like a gasoline engine in that regard.
With a gasoline engine it will flood out from being overly rich which in turn fouls the spark plug. Since Diesels dont have a plug to foul out, the excess fuel does really no harm as the unburnt fuel passes through the engine and comes out as the white smoke you see when cranking.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
What is the air fuel mixture of a diesel? mine did something funny when I did that this morning. It acted like air was in the line, it quit like it was out of fuel then needed 2 or 3 good multisecond cranks to get going again.

Quick Reply: Hard Start, hot day, almost stranded again