1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to sell lifted truck - Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 AM
tjcprop
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also support what #21 wrote and see no bashing. This is a complete waste of a truck. Not a work truck, not a daily driver nor a show car in the condition it is in. When I decided on a lift on my 2014 250 I went with a 6 over a 10 to keep it usable for work. Could of went with the complete air suspension system but this system probably could not handle frigid working conditions.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:32 AM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with everyone else. A customized truck like that is going to be a tough sell. It looks cool and all, but it was done for your taste. I can't see pictures of the bed, but a pickup truck without a bed, is a waste of money. Here is what I suggest.

Put the truck on Ebay. More people will see it there, than any other place.
Start the bidding at $1.00, but set a reserve price. By doing that, it will keep your insertion fee down, and you don't have to sell it if your reserve isn't met.
If someone meets your reserve price, then great, sell it. If they don't, at least you will get an idea of what people are willing to pay for it. If it did get close to your reserve, you might sell it anyway.

If you don't get the results you are looking for, then you can decide on where you want to go from there.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:42 AM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
Originally Posted by tjcprop
I also support what #21 wrote and see no bashing. This is a complete waste of a truck. Not a work truck, not a daily driver nor a show car in the condition it is in. When I decided on a lift on my 2014 250 I went with a 6 over a 10 to keep it usable for work. Could of went with the complete air suspension system but this system probably could not handle frigid working conditions.
Complete waste of a truck?? wtf, How so? FYI, the lift is adjustable from 6-14" so it would be easy to use as a work truck if needed. What does the current setup have to do with it being a detriment to use as a DD? I use it as such. The doors are easy to open and close and I can park in a smaller space if needed because the doors only open so much before they have to go vertical.

Also, I am in good physical condition and am able to jump in and out of the truck and bed without issue. Have had many full loads in the bed by covering the horn setup. Again, as I have repeated several times here, they only take about 4' by 8" of space- negligible. Anything that I may not have been able to fit because of that (never) can go on the next trip or in the back cab .

I guess that all the tractor trailers and other commercial equipment that run air suspensions never work in frigid environments. Kelderman uses the same Firestone bags - Heavy duty, commercial grade. Also, again, I never said it was a show truck - others have.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:45 AM
BossGasser
Elder User
I LOVE the doors!!!!!!!!!
Brilliant for a large truck. I sit line to line in the new smaller parking spots.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
Originally Posted by brd7666
I have to agree with everyone else. A customized truck like that is going to be a tough sell. It looks cool and all, but it was done for your taste. I can't see pictures of the bed, but a pickup truck without a bed, is a waste of money.
Thanks for the E-bay suggestion, that was my next choice.

Name:  H6bOdKZ.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  503 Bytes

Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Maybe advertise it in SoCal or Arizona, seems to fit their style better.
what the!!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Field Truck
Junior User
Not sure how to advertise or where you are but south and west Texas are right now loaded with crazy money plus trucks are always in demand.
Good luck.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe make the point that the horns are optional, and the compressors can mount under the chassis to free up the bed, and that the lift can be adjusted down to a normal 6" height. And that the doors were designed to facilitate parking in modern parking lots with 8' wide spaces... Make it into a benefit, rather than something that looks a little odd. Maybe stick a step into the hitch, so that people could at least see the bed of the truck...

Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Originally Posted by JST2CRZY
Has the market tanked for these trucks? I know the market is loaded with many for sale. Have it listed on 6 different sites for about 6 weeks - only response is just a few low ballers and tire kickers. 08 350, low miles, diesel, approx 25k in extras, One of a kind setup, etc. Asking 38,500. Here is a link to the classified on this site: REMOVED
Not posting to promote my ad, just wanted to see if there are others in my predicament and what luck they have had.

Thoughts?
You asked for thoughts, and if the market has tanked. You've been given thoughts, including some very insightful ones on financing, functionality, etc. You can argue those points all you want, but you are hearing from people who are partial to Super Duties who are telling you why they wouldn't pay your asking price. Just because you don't like the answer, doesn't mean you should reject the answer.

You state that it is a one-of-a-kind truck. Remember, unique does not necessarily equate to value. One-of-a-kind trucks demand special-interest buyers. If, as some have indicated, the supply of similar lifted trucks is relatively high, and demand from able buyers is low, price will drop. Basic economics. You can increase the pool of potential buyers by making your truck less unique. I personally would agree with others and suggest removing the lambo kit. While it probably is practical, it's not the first mod that would come to mind to do on a Super Duty.

In my experience with custom vehicles, you'll always make more money returning it close to stock, and selling the aftermarket parts separately.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:19 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Husky44

In my experience with custom vehicles, you'll always make more money returning it close to stock, and selling the aftermarket parts separately.
My thoughts exactly. I buy trucks to work and to last, so I don't want mods of any kind or custom anything. I do buy a lot of mustangs though(have owned 12) and I will not buy one that has been modded. I like to build my own from front to rear and I'm not paying extra for parts I'm not going to use. I usually go with an lx, 4 cyl, auto because they are cheap and I know they weren't beaten to death, then I replace everything with what I want. Not everyone prefers to go that route, so the OP may very well find a buyer, but it is going to be more difficult for sure.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:13 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Complete waste of a truck?? wtf, How so? FYI, the lift is adjustable from 6-14" so it would be easy to use as a work truck if needed. What does the current setup have to do with it being a detriment to use as a DD? I use it as such. The doors are easy to open and close and I can park in a smaller space if needed because the doors only open so much before they have to go vertical.

Also, I am in good physical condition and am able to jump in and out of the truck and bed without issue. Have had many full loads in the bed by covering the horn setup. Again, as I have repeated several times here, they only take about 4' by 8" of space- negligible. Anything that I may not have been able to fit because of that (never) can go on the next trip or in the back cab .
Has the truck had the gears changed?

Sorry man that truck is a crappy daily driver on so many levels, from fuel mileage to parking. A 4'x8" section may not seem like a big deal to you but it is to people that actually use the truck. I have my truck stuffed to the gills going on vacation and that space in the bed where the airhorns are is a big deal and waste of space. Not to mention you don't want to pile anything on top of it. It is kinda obvious you don't use the truck for much of any kind of work or jobs where you have to go in and out of the cab bed a lot in the day.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't see where the OP claimed that it is a great DD or a great work truck?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:48 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I don't see where the OP claimed that it is a great DD or a great work truck?
Did you read the replies? My reply was relevant to what I quoted.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:09 PM
CapriMikeC
Cross-Country

Not all buyers will be in physical condition to jump in/out. That eliminates many potential buyers. Also, many buyers will have to consider their passengers. My parents couldn't get in/out of that truck for example.

I agree the horns should be relocated at a minimum. Although you insist they don't use much space, there are plenty of payloads they would obstruct. For instance, a few times a year, I take my F250 and get 1.5 tons of landscaping rock/gravel for our property. Not going to happen with anything else in the bed.

The lift may be adjustable but I would hate to load/unload heavy items such as appliances, engines, transmissions, axle housings, etc. from something that high off the ground.

For me, a truck is about practicality. I've already got several cars for fun money pits so my trucks never have been customized.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 PM
tjcprop
Elder User

I guess that all the tractor trailers and other commercial equipment that run air suspensions never work in frigid environments. Kelderman uses the same Firestone bags - Heavy duty, commercial grade. Also, again, I never said it was a show truck - others have.
I spoke with a heavy duty mechanic considering this air ride suspension for pick up trucks. Semi trucks use heating system to keep these lines from freezing and working properly unlike pick up trucks. He also explained more reasons why this suspension is not suited for our environment. Question is, have you used your truck in -30C and 3ft of snow with a heavy plow?

Quick Reply: Unable to sell lifted truck - Frustrated