1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to sell lifted truck - Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the site suggestion - did not know about that one.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Number21
Senior User
How did you spend $25k on mods?
Very rough numbers:
Wheels/tires $3000
Lift $7000
Custom badges $300
Air horn $500

I haven't got a clue how much lambo doors cost but surely it's less than $14k? What did I miss?

Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Number21
Very rough numbers:
Wheels/tires $3000
Lift $7000
Custom badges $300
Air horn $500

I haven't got a clue how much lambo doors cost but surely it's less than $14k? What did I miss?
You obviously are not figuring the cost of labor. I also think you are a bit light on wheels and tires and the the custom badges inside and out.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 PM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
Very rough numbers:
Wheels/tires $3000
Lift $7000
Custom badges $300
Air horn $500

Kelderman air suspension $15,000

Lambo door hinges $1,500

Custom built speaker/amp box/enclosure/ full sound system replacing all factory components. Approx $2,000 (was in truck when bought)

Also extra and were on the truck so do not know true cost:

Airaid filter
Dual gas charged steering stabilizers
Hydraulic assist steering
Front and rear cameras
Line x
Recon bed, rear, and cab lights
Twin scoop hood

Now that I list some things, it is actually closer to 30k

Old 08-29-2014, 05:59 PM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
Originally Posted by RangerSmith
Nice truck but what can you do with it other than drive it. Is it even street legal with that lift. I'de bring it back to stock and sell it. For that price I wouldn't even look at that the way it is.
It is street legal in Florida. Any p/u with a gvwr over 10k is exempt from any lift laws. Had a 350 with 12" lift and 44's. Got a ticket and beat it due to this code. I think stock is boring, I see them all day long, like things different. I can do anything a stock truck can do. Have not towed yet - need a lower drop down hitch. Truck has full towing package from the factory. I have had the bed full of stuff, I just put a few heavy horse blankets and a piece of plywood over the horns and compressors - easy.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
It is a very nice truck....that is for sure! I for one have a 6" lifted truck on 37's but it is still practical and very usable. I can tow my fifth wheel (spring over on 5'er), tow my boat and take it to Lowe's and load the ***** out of it with whatever I need.

I think the truck you built is more of a non functional show truck. Although it is very nice it is impractical for the guy looking for a "real" truck and not a head turner.

I think with that being said, you are going to have a hell of a time selling this for the amount you want unless you find a young buyer that has lots of money to burn.

Good Luck

Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by JST2CRZY
It is street legal in Florida. Any p/u with a gvwr over 10k is exempt from any lift laws. Had a previous lifted 350 with 12" lift and 44's. Got a ticket and beat it due to this code. I think stock is boring, I see them all day long, like things different. I can do anything a stock truck can do. Have not towed yet - need a lower drop down hitch. Truck has full towing package from the factory. I have had the bed full of stuff, I just put a few heavy horse blankets and a piece of plywood over the horns and compressors - easy.
I don't think he's really referring to legality. Why is there an air horn in the bed? Even if you put stuff on top of the horns you lose a ton of space. It's a car. There is plenty of room to mount that stuff underneath...and that is what one expects on a high dollar truck.

It's not a show truck if it has dents/paint damage. And nobody wants to go out and destroy a $40k truck offroad either.

Not trying to bash your truck, to each his own, but that's why it isn't selling. I couldn't sell mine for what I wanted either. Somebody that wants a stock truck won't touch yours, and most people that want a modified truck want to make it themselves.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
JST2CRZY,

I looked but maybe I missed it....why are you selling it?

Seems like a big waste to sell a customized truck.

Joe

Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
I don't think he's talking about legality. Why is there an air horn in the bed? Obviously you never use the bed for anything. It's a car. There is plenty of room to mount that stuff underneath...

It's not a show truck if it has dents/paint damage. And nobody wants to go out and destroy a $40k truck offroad either.

Not trying to bash your truck, to each his own, but that's why it isn't selling. I couldn't sell mine for what I wanted either.
I think he is taking about legality, he asked: "Is it even street legal with that lift"

The previous owner moved the horn into the bed from underneath. He worked the oil fields in TX and said the sand, mud and other crap was taking it's toll on the components. he had the horns freshened up and bought new air tanks and compressors. The bed is used all the time. They only take less than 4ft by 8in - negligible. I never said it was a show truck, others in this thread have though.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Not trying to bash your truck, to each his own, but that's why it isn't selling. I couldn't sell mine for what I wanted either. Somebody that wants a stock truck won't touch yours, and most people that want a modified truck want to make it themselves.
Bull****. That is exactly what you are doing.

The is an *** for every seat. Not your choice, fine.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JST2CRZY
So, I ran the numbers as you suggested. KBB honest value - 37K. Subtract approx 25k in mods. That means the truck is worth 12 right? I have also read that you should realistically be able to recoup at least 25% of the mods which is $6,250.

BTW, I do have it listed on several specialty sites - there is a lot of competition.
If I was buying it to use as a truck I would expect you to start at kbb and then subtract what it would cost me to put it back in stock form. If kbb is 20k and you spend 15k on suspension I'm not paying 35k. If it costs 5k to put it back stock then 15k is all I would pay. Otherwise I am paying 35k plus 5k for a stock 20k truck. I would either put it back stock and sell the mods or be prepared to wait a long time for the perfect buyer.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually just advertise it in the right places, which I gather he is doing, or trying to. Here just isn't one of those places, it would seem. I still think it's worth at least $25K, as it sits. If it was perfect it would probably be worth the $38K, buy it would need to be perfect. And only to the right buyer. Lots of people would buy it, you just need to find one of them.

Brian

Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 AM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Bull****. That is exactly what you are doing.
He wanted to know why his truck wasn't selling. I answered that for him. Plain and simple. No, I don't like his truck, but I wasn't trying to bash it. Just making him a list of why it won't sell. I guess that kind of is a bash, but he asked for it. I'm sure you don't like my truck, and I couldn't possibly care less. (Sometimes I prefer it!)

Should I just say "truck looks great I don't know why nobody is buying it"? No, that would be a lie. It's not just me saying it.

If you want to ask why nobody is buying your truck expect to hear a few things you probably don't like.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 AM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I see nothing wrong with what #21 said, just a frank, honest opinion. Had he added in some insulting adjectives...then yes.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Why are you selling it?

Quick Reply: Unable to sell lifted truck - Frustrated