Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Alternator help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alternator help

Well, I'm on my phone at the VA hospital so it's not the best situation to search alternator threads & costs. So while I'm here I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

The alternator went out in the Excursion yesterday , looking for a replacement. I can swap the one out of the F-250 if needed in the short term.

Should I buy a higher output alternator? The 6.0 alternator that I have seen some posts on, or just an auto zone reman?

I'll be honest - I have seen plenty of threads on alternators & the 7.3L, I didn't save any of the links, I can't remember what they said and I just can't find them searching on my phone........where is Megawatt when I need him! LOL

Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have a reliable rebuilder in your area, that is the route I would go. Call a couple shops and see if they recommend the same place. It won't be cheap. The other route is a new Ford alternator from Tousley or equivalent. It won't be cheap. The last route is a rebuilt from the local auto parts box store. It will be cheap, it will be warranted for life, and you will be replacing on a regular basis. If you don't mind replacing regularly and having it die when you most need it...well . Did I say it will be cheap? If you have a bunch of electrical accessories that are heavy amp draw or you just want to upgrade, then the 6.0 alternator is a good and easy choice.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Bergerson
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can swap the one off of your f250 to get you by, and yes you can buy the 140a for the 6.0, just need to re-clock the housing so the plugs face up. Best bet is to have yours rebuilt by a reputable auto electric shop. If you buy a rebuilt from a auto parts store it just wont last more than a year or two. Ask me how I know... I went through 4 napa rebuilt alternators in 2 1/2 years, all under warranty. .. but what a pain in the ***. Finally had the last 1 rebuilt for about $150.00 and its been in there for 3 years now. Other option is a genuine ford replacement new. But it will cost ya a pretty penny.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
What they said ^^^^^
I however, took my chances and went with a NEW alternator from Autozone and have been on the same one for about 5yrs now.... AFTER I killed the first one trying to make it charge up dead batteries from the get go. So I replaced the batteries, and another new alternator and all is good. So...Do you feel lucky punk? Well do ya?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by binuya; 08-28-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: double posted
Old 08-28-2014, 11:13 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine went out on the way back from Yellowstone last month. Just outside of Butte, I noticed the dash voltmeter at zero. Luckily I was able to make it to a safe parking spot and was able to catch a ride into town to an O'Reilly's...ugh. I had a fully loaded camper in the bed, wife, and two boys patiently waiting at the truck, and all I wanted was to get back on the road, so I paid a bit less than $200 for whatever their best lifetime new alternator was, and exchanged my old one. My regret was not keeping the core. I remember seeing the Motorcraft stamp on the back as they were stuffing it into the box. At only 151k miles, it was probably just a diode or regulator that went out. But as I said, I was in a hurry and just wanted to get back to my family and hit the road. So as stated before, the consensus seems to be to find a reputable rebuilder and have them redo the original Motorcraft unit. While my new one is working fine now, I don't have 100% confidence in it.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM
MiamiPSD
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Well, I'm on my phone at the VA hospital so it's not the best situation to search alternator threads & costs. So while I'm here I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

The alternator went out in the Excursion yesterday , looking for a replacement. I can swap the one out of the F-250 if needed in the short term.

Should I buy a higher output alternator? The 6.0 alternator that I have seen some posts on, or just an auto zone reman?

I'll be honest - I have seen plenty of threads on alternators & the 7.3L, I didn't save any of the links, I can't remember what they said and I just can't find them searching on my phone........where is Megawatt when I need him! LOL
Try DB Electrical. Great prices and product....http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-7245-n...lectrical.aspx

135 amps for under 100.00 new

Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
DB used to put out some nice stuff. Then they started sticking made in China stickers on everything and the quality seems to have gone down hill.

Rich, I'd stay away from Autozoo. Tried that route myself and changed alternators and batteries every year. When they stopped honoring the battery warranty I jumped ship. The new 6.0 alternator from Oreilly's has been doing great for me for the last couple of years. The last alternator I had last this long was the factory one.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
These folks seem to have a great reputation.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm actually very fortunate this Happened here at home. Last weekend I did a 1500 mile trip to Terre Haute and back, before that was 1300 miles Round trip to Denver. That would have really sucked if this would have went out on the road.

First I need to figure out my electrical requirements and determine if I really need a higher output alternator or I just really want one....if not for the Ex maybe for the F-250.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
FWIW, I read on another forum this same question and one of the posters had worked at two of the top auto parts chains. His advice was Motorcraft reman or AC delco reman. The return rates where really high on other store stocked brands.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I did find a local shop that said they would rebuild mine for $100. Lots of farmers here use them and they have been in business since the early 70's.

I turned on every interior light, high beams, fog lights, radio, DVD player, A/C and my voltage dropped to 12.1V at idle. Not high idle, just regular idle. Would this be enough reason to justify an upgrade? I'm gonna have the stocker rebuilt because the one in the F-250 has 320K on it and I don't want to be caught by surprise again - especially while towing the camper.

A couple of more links for reference:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lternator.html

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Ford~...6-185-oem.html

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-334...lternator.aspx

http://store.alternatorparts.com/6g-...lternator.aspx

DB Electrical - NEW ALTERNATOR FORD 6.0L DIESEL 05 06 07 DB ELECTRICAL

Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I did find a local shop that said they would rebuild mine for $100. Lots of farmers here use them and they have been in business since the early 70's.

I turned on every interior light, high beams, fog lights, radio, DVD player, A/C and my voltage dropped to 12.1V at idle. Not high idle, just regular idle. Would this be enough reason to justify an upgrade? I'm gonna have the stocker rebuilt because the one in the F-250 has 320K on it and I don't want to be caught by surprise again - especially while towing the camper.

A couple of more links for reference:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lternator.html

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Ford~...6-185-oem.html

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-334...lternator.aspx

http://store.alternatorparts.com/6g-...lternator.aspx

DB Electrical - NEW ALTERNATOR FORD 6.0L DIESEL 05 06 07 DB ELECTRICAL

Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Well, after testing the charging system with the new alternator and two tested healthy & strong batteries it looks like I could benefit from an alternator upgrade - at least I think so. Maybe not in the overall amps but in a higher idle output. Either that or rely on the high idle program since she does idle a lot - especially during winter.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If i remember correctly, these alternator have a 2 speed regulator in them. One charging rate for idle and one for higher rpms. It sounds like your regulator has gone out based on you last spot....or partially out. I have had a few charge at idle but the light come on driving it. Those regulators failed opposite of yours.

Quick Reply: Alternator help