Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 AM
New User

JeffStrachan is starting off with a positive reputation.
tool opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdatman View Post
I always found one of the old rings broken in half is good to clean the ring grooves.
Yessir, that's what I was doing to turn my thumb into hamburger before I switched to harder chemicals.

I thought about mounting it in a piece of wood but then I just put a bandage on my thumb and put a glove on and had more success with a whole ring with just a twist in it. I could hold it with my whole hand and get some good pressure pushing and pulling downward into the groove.

Maybe it already exists, but if someone could figure out how to mount a piece of ring into an ergonomic 'handle'... Something better than just a pair of vice-grips.

I'm pretty much done with this task now.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:07 PM
New User

SteveBFuel is starting off with a positive reputation.

Badda-bing.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:46 AM
New User

SteveBFuel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bump for update.
How does it run?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:29 AM
New User

JeffStrachan is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL. Not quite there yet, despite some, um, shortcuts.

After measuring clearances of main and rod bearings I found they are within standard tolerances. As I wasn't going for an overbore and was sticking with my oversized rings I've started to put it back together with what I have. The rationale is if it runs ok, good. If not, it has to come out again anyways so then I'll bite the bullet for a long term fix.

I managed to break one second ring and an oil ring, so old ones of each of those are being used on 2 different cylinders. The crank and all the pistons are back in the block. As is the oil pump. Note: Install piston oil squirters BEFORE crank and pistons. Sigh. (You can install oilers after crank and pistons but it's quite a bit trickier.)

I've lapped all the valves and have both heads reassembled. I'm looking at getting it mostly put back together today. I am missing (broke) a sensor at the very back of the block. I think it's oil pressure but I'm not sure. I think I'll be able to start it without that - just plug it.

I saw a youtube, I think the link was from here, of a guy who started his motor on his engine stand! I don't think this HF stand could handle that, however, I have been toying with the idea of building some kind of setup to mount an engine (my 'spare' TDI) so I can run a generator or other simple PTO devices. I have all those bus seat carcasses and want to become a competent welder.

I'm not sure how much electrical/electronics I'd need to run it out of the truck. I'm thinking not much, maybe just the glow plug controller and the starter, but I don't know. Definitely should be easier than the TDI setup.

It snowed this week, so I might just put it back in the truck and move on to the trans.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The sensor at the back that you broke does sound like the oil sensor. Its not needed, but you may want it hooked up just in case you missed something inside and it doesn't build any oil pressure.

As far as other wires, all you _need_ for these engines to run is the FSS (fuel shutoff solenoid) which is the front top connector on the injection pump. But you're right that glow plugs and starter really need to be wired up.

Sounds like you're making good progress!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Semper Fi MOFO!

Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thronsonskip
i dont know why but when i look at this picture of yoru garage it gives me the warm fuzzy at home feeling. maybe mine messy too...

Attached Images

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition. Semper Fi
Old 09-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)