1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 F500

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53 F500

My recent purchase, 53 f500 239 flathead 4speed. I have a few questions, First when shifting from first to second it bogs real bad..need to pump the accelerator to keep it from dying, once it reaches 20 to 30 mph it shakes a shimmies real bad, what does that problem sound like? plus the ride is rough as he!! is there anyway to make the ride smoother in this beast? And last but not least are these the dreaded widowmaker wheels? Can I remove them from the truck without problems or does the problem happen when the tires are removed from the wheels? thanks, this is my first big truck.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryMc
My recent purchase, 53 f500 239 flathead 4speed. I have a few questions, First when shifting from first to second it bogs real bad..need to pump the accelerator to keep it from dying, once it reaches 20 to 30 mph it shakes a shimmies real bad, what does that problem sound like? plus the ride is rough as he!! is there anyway to make the ride smoother in this beast? And last but not least are these the dreaded widowmaker wheels? Can I remove them from the truck without problems or does the problem happen when the tires are removed from the wheels? thanks, this is my first big truck.

Welcome to the forum! That's a great looking truck!

Last question first... yes those are widow makers. They are unsafe if they let go due to corrosion or damage. The problem is, you sometimes can't see the problem while tires are mounted, so you never know when they will explode. And don't try servicing them yourself. We'd like to get to know you on this forum.

Next, the rough ride. I just addressed this with my F4 with lots of good advice from guys on this forum. I lowered my tire pressure to 35 psi all around. At 50 psi and 40 psi my ride was extremely jolting as I have no weight on the truck. But I suggest you leave the tire pressure alone until you replace your wheels.

Lastly, to your first question. I don't know.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Add my welcome. Replacement wheels are your solution to the widow maker problem. You can't trust them to stay together, and reputable shops won't let you in the door with them. Either locking ring/side ring style 20s, (looks like you have a couple in the bed), or tubeless 19.5s or 22.5s are available. Several of us have ads in the classifieds.

Your stumbling sounds carburetor related. The shimmying you might need to describe more. Is it also carb related, or do you have wheel balance or alignment issues. Can't say based on your description. Stu

Old 08-28-2014, 05:46 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
By "shimmying," perhaps you refer to lugging the engine under too great a load at low RPM. It sounds like you may be going into a higher gear. There is a chance that the transmission end of the shifter may be worn. This, or the wear on a small pin located inside at the screw-on collar that holds the shifter in, will cause a loose shifter and make it a challenge to find the right gear. BTW: most of us bigger truck guys will start out in second when the truck's not loaded. Also, just to make sure that the transmission is what's expected, where is your reverse gear?

I'll ASSUME that it's a four speed. Shift pattern on these is a standard "H," with first and third to the front ("up"). To quote Bob Jones: "With larger trucks you can tell by the shift pattern. Crash boxes had reverse to the right and down, the synchronized have reverse to the right and up."

Last edited by The Horvaths; 08-28-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Mo in fo
Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
As for widow makers, do a search of the forum. They have been safely disassembled using a forklift, chains, and a rifle. Levels of safety may vary with the approach utilized.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good looking larger truck. Replacement rims are available. (Stu has some) I would suggest you get them first thing. Don't mess with your widowmakers at all. Lower tire pressure helps the ride on these old trucks but read lots, be aware. DO NOT LOWER THE PRESSURE ON THE WIDOWMAKERS. Like said, you don't really need first gear. Be as descriptive as possible on your questions and ask away. Again, welcome to the forum.
Edit: The vibration at such low speed could be a very badly worn front end component or a widowmaker / tire coming apart.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Tomorrow (friday) I'm going to talk to a guy that said he will demount the tires off the widowmakers, i think they will be good enough to mount on the newer wheels, although I still have to find a couple, and yes, those are a few in the bed, i got them with the truck. I'll let yall know what the guy sez.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Tomorrow (friday) I'm going to talk to a guy that said he will demount the tires off the widowmakers, i think they will be good enough to mount on the newer wheels, although I still have to find a couple, and yes, those are a few in the bed, i got them with the truck. I'll let yall know what the guy sez.

Ok Barry, trust me on this one. Do ya self a favor (for playing around and
fixing bugs and driving around) remove all air from the rear outside wheels,
dont worry the rear of that truck don't weigh nothing, it will go fine on
four. I been running my F6 with no air for years (utility body). The fronts
will be ok "if they have an attack they will blow into the spring . My first
encounter was back then with F6 (this same truck was a dump truck)
I went for a load of asphalt no sooner got on the scale a rear tire & rim blew off and took out the whole corner of the scale house...and the truck
was'nt that old either. As far a demounting yourself -no problem with NO
AIR in them. Aside from the rims I think your other problems will come into
focus in time thats the easy stuff Rims are the hard stuff.
We had a local shop that one of them blew and put the guy right through
the roof yes dead.. Myself at my age I even wouldnt get near the valve
stem to let the air out, Id drill a hole through the tread side of the tire.
an old tire aint worth my life. Most people have never seen or heard what
this sounds like, but I tell ya,

sam you will be deaf for a week!!!!

Old 08-29-2014, 04:45 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Just one more interjection, the tool truck F6 has windows, it has a miller
welder an air compressor and diesel fuel tank back there as well as tools
oils, grease etc. Can you tell there is no air in the rear outside tires???

sam

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by big job
Id drill a hole through the tread side of the tire.
an old tire aint worth my life.
X2 on this. This is the best way to ensure your safety. I do a small hole, like 1/8", so that it can depressurize slowly while you get clear of it. Stu

Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Great idea guys, I'll be sure and do that. Sam, those are some fine trucks you have there!

Old 08-30-2014, 02:37 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
No luck on finding replacement wheels, most yards scrap any older wheel as soon as it gets there. No tire shop will mess with the widowmakers either, but did get a name of a guy that will do them. He will sandblast and paint each replacement wheel plus demount and remount tire for $75. Said he might could find the three wheels that i need too. I priced a 750-20 tire at $155. each.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:05 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
No luck on finding replacement wheels, most yards scrap any older wheel as soon as it gets there. No tire shop will mess with the widowmakers either, but did get a name of a guy that will do them. He will sandblast and paint each replacement wheel plus demount and remount tire for $75. Said he might could find the three wheels that i need too. I priced a 750-20 tire at $155. each.
Don't screw around with the widowmankers. $75. each and you still have a dangerous wheel. Look in the classified here and buy some drop center replacements. There is a guy on this forum who has a set of good wheels for sale, priced right. Best part, he is not be that far from central Mississippi.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...8-pattern.html
Truckdog and Jmadson both have them FS also.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
No, the $75. is to take the tires off of the widowmakers and mount them on the three replacement wheels that I have, also included is sandblast and paint. I just have to find three more non-widowmaker wheels. Thanks for the link but he has already sold those wheels. I will check out the others that have wheels for sale.