Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Taking the plunge, pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:46 PM
rowingdude
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the plunge, pre-purchase questions

Vehicle in question: 2002 F350 7.3PSD Manual QCSB 4x4 DRW (whew that's a lot!) So I'm going to look at this truck, and I'd like to know if there are any real problem areas. This will be my second diesel truck, but my first PSD (last one was an IDI that crapped out 150mi from home thanks to the cylinder issue). The main reason I am buying this truck is for reliability in all weather conditions (sun, rain, and a lotttt of snow). I currently drive an Audi A8 and it's starting to have engine/tranny issues, so I'm going to let it go and buy a dependable truck. I know that Ford PSDs, especially with a manual drive train are nearly bulletproof and will last for half a million miles or so. So, that's what I want. Questions: 1. What are the weakest points on the aforementioned truck? 2. If I get tired of the DRW (my last was a DRW), can I knock the spacers off and run SRW tires? 3. Which axles typically come in these trucks? 4. What's a fair price - decent interior, 200k, fair exterior ( + stacks ) 5. For those of you who own DRW PSDs, what is your fuel economy and how fast do you typically drive? (My 4 day commute is 45mi one way) 6. How much diesel does the tank (tanks?) hold? Who makes a good extra tank? So aside from reliability, I am also looking for safety. I loved the road presence of the F350 IDI (until it died). This truck is honestly at the limit of the money I have for a vehicle, but I really want a manual + 4x4, and this fits the bill. Also, please don't turn this into a SRW vs DRW debate. I know the pros and cons of each. Thanks so much for your help, sorry this is probably a rehash of about 20 other threads.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Welcome to FTE! JMO: But unless you plan on some heavy towing I would not want a DRW as a DD. Don't get me wrong they are great trucks but the SRW much more driver friendly for maneuvering around . I have had both and the SRW feels like a car compared to the DRW!

Smokie

Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 AM
rowingdude
Freshman User
Oh believe me, I had an F350IDI automatic (non turbo) that was DRW. It was not that bad driving around town, I didn't tow that much, but it cornered like no other Timing and availability seems to be an issue for these trucks, it's basically DRW with "low" miles, or "SRW" with lots and an auto

Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
I'd get the SRW if it where me as Smokiesman suggested , i have 4x4 and Fr and Rr ARB difflocks and not a lot stops me.

Make sure the transmission has been serviced, and not be over heated, check the oil cooler make sure it's a cooler from a 6.0 they seem to be better on 4R100.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:14 AM
rowingdude
Freshman User
Well, the slushbox is a deal breaker for me. I'm tired of automatic. That's also the reason I wouldn't get an Expy, though I love them.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Rather than trying to steer you after you asked us not to, I'll answer your question:

In my region, that would bring about $9K - $10K with a Lariat trim - because the stacks degrade the value. Lower trim? Not so much. If it were Texas, I'm guessing about $7K to $8k, but I would yield to Texans for that information. Your question is a regional one... and I've never known KBB or Edmonds.com to really nail what rigs can bring in my area. Look on craigslist in your area, and factor in the "bartering buffer" to get an idea what these really go for.

200K isn't low miles, but I have 300K and I could sell Stinky for about $18K today to the right buyer. I put all my money into rolling the effects of miles and years backwards (proper repairs) and more clean power.

The short box has the smaller fuel tank - sorry. I want to say 28 gallons, but the SB owners know better than I. LB has 38 gallons. You can get a 44-gal fuel tank that fits where the spare tire is - that way you can display your tire and your exhaust.

There are some items that are nearing their life expectancy at that odo reading, so it's a good idea to factor in some extra money for a scan tool.

This is not a vehicle for one on a tight budget that doesn't need a truck to make a living. It is, however, a tank. I drive 45 miles each way every day up the Columbia gorge to work. Steep grades, traffic, two-lane road, snow and ice, wind, deer, elk, big-horn sheep, and the occasional moose are all out to get me. I average about 17 - 17.5 MPG at 65 MPH on my route.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
VindexInjuriae
Freshman User
Correct me if I'm wrong, but.... short box was never offered on a DRW.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by VindexInjuriae

Consider yourself corrected...

Well there you have it, in black and white.

6' box DRW was available (albeit rarely ordered) from 99-10 more or less, give or take a year.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VindexInjuriae
They were offered, but it's pretty rare to come across one.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM
VindexInjuriae
Freshman User

They do exist! They must hide them with the unicorns and leprechauns around here.... I can honestly say I've never seen one in person. Seen a few conversions & custom jobs, but not a factory SB/DRW.

I'd want it just for that now, rare as hens teeth lol

Thanks for expanding my world

Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM
rowingdude
Freshman User
Wow, that poor truck was a total mess.

• Wiring that went no where
  • Rear tires described as "3/4" tread left had maybe 15% with uneven wear
  • Shifter was all over the place
  • Tuning was off (someone had put a bunch of crap into it and taken the tuner out, but left the harness :-/)
  • Clutch engagement was at my tippy toe .. so clutch was probably gone or the slave cylinder was bad.
  • Couldn't feel the boost build at all
  • Bed was in smitherines (someone put the bed over the 5th wheel hitch, then used a hammer to "smoothen" it out.
So now, I need to find something else. Wayyyyy too much wrong for $8500 asking price.

Anyone selling a decent Excursion 7.3 for around 8k?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rowingdude
Anyone selling a decent Excursion 7.3 for around 8k?
You said "decent Excursion" and $8K in the same sentence. Guys? Isn't that in violation of the 7.3L mantra somewhere?

Yes, you can get a decent Excursion for that price - with a gas engine. I've seen them from $14K to $27K around here - with the 7.3L.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
You said "decent Excursion" and $8K in the same sentence. Guys? Isn't that in violation of the 7.3L mantra somewhere?

Yes, you can get a decent Excursion for that price - with a gas engine. I've seen them from $14K to $27K around here - with the 7.3L.
I gave 7500 for mine, (2000 7.3 4x4 XLT 165K miles) I then had to put brakes on it all the way around. Other then that I have done nothing "really" other then fill it with fuel and drive it for the past almost 2 years. I have had to replace a leaky fuel drain valve, but I think that had more to do with me playing with it when I changed filters after buying it. Yes it has a couple of cracks in the leather seats, and I had to service the A/C but for me that is all part of owing a 14 year old vehicle. Others I have seen in my area are running in the 10-14K area depending on miles.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can get by with an A8 as a DD and don't have any interest in fixing something you're looking at the wrong kind of vehicles... You dont tow much, want a DRW, 444 cubic inch diesel for a commuter..... Ok

Mileage is usually 14-17 mpg with these things parts are not cheap, labor is free with 99% of problems you're going to have with help from the guys here. You asked a lot of questions that you could have looked up online in about 5 minutes. Something is telling me you definitely have not thought this out... At all.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 PM
wiccantoy
Senior User
Well my 99 drw ford used to only get 10-12 mpg due to the gears in it. I've done a crap load of upgrades and have got it up to 23mpg.

Oh y2k the pictures of the 4 door short bed dually trucks are sexy as hell. Never seen one before.

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge, pre-purchase questions