1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

52 F1 Build... Need opinions and poll !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have to agree with Kevin, makes much more sense to do least amount work for the same profit. Much quicker flip.

Fact, most trucks that actually sell for 25-30K (vs asking price) have 40-60K+ invested (++ when labor at min wage is included).
Trucks with stock engines and trannys won't get more than 6-8K unless fully rebuilt frame off 10 point resto, and then go for 12-18K.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by mkassab
I'll keep the cost in check and take the risks... but most all are missing the intent of the thread.... what do 52 Ford F1 buyers look for and value....? This information will help me narrow my focus and select the mods most likely to add value and raise my chances for max sale price.
Thanks Mark
Oh, I think most of us got the intent of the question, just trying to give a nice answer. I believe Kevin and AXracer said it best, much better than I.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'll keep the cost in check and take the risks... but most all are missing the intent of the thread.... what do 52 Ford F1 buyers look for and value....? This information will help me narrow my focus and select the mods most likely to add value and raise my chances for max sale price.

Thanks Mark
We get the intent of the question, you don't seem to get the facts of our answers:
NOTHING you have listed will increase the value of what you have above the cost of doing them. Don't believe what you see on TV, the only thing those guys are actually making money on is being on TV! Most of the buyers shown are shills provided by the producers, and/or the vehicle cost does not include overhead or labor. Those same vehicles sometimes show up for sale later on ebay etc at a much lower price. Who would watch a similar program that lost money on every build? The show's publicity also makes people think there is something "magical" about the shop's work and are willing to pay for the opportunity to say "they" built my vehicle, just like paying a premium to say "somebody known" once owned it. Just look at the first season of Rick's Restorations vs now; his quoted prices have increased 10 fold, and he has enough work and is making enough money for his TV appearance he doesn't care if they walk over the price! The 4 guys on Pawn Stars get > $1 mil/ episode, and are there only when filming (the seller's and what they bring in, final prices etc. are all arranged in advance of filming by the production people!)

Old 08-27-2014, 09:33 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Im a keep it as stock as possible kind of guy, but if I put myself in the mindset of a person willing to pay 30k for a truck, Id probably want the transmission swapped woth something that doesnt require double clutching.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 48 Steel
What percentage of profit are you looking to get? What is your time worth? IMO I would do, 2,3,11, 13 and change the rear gear ratio for highway driving. Probably the least invested with the best return.

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"
48 Steel.... that's kind of what I'm looking at also. If I made $5k I'd be happy.

Thx Mark

Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
This is what I do not understand.

OK you are going to do the work to this truck to make $5,000. Why not put $1,000 into the truck and make it run, drive, stop, and sell it for $10-$12,000 and let the new owner do their own modifications.

You will find that the lower the price the more potential buyers you will have. also your mods will not sit well with all potential buyers (they want to make it their own)

I'm not going to do the poll as what I want or think is important is no where near what someone else wants
I may do just as you suggest. Again, my intent on the questions and feedback was to see what a "typical" buyer would want and pay for. You response helps me a lot.

Thx Mark

Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Thanks Mark
By the time I got this far into the thread, the others have already said what I was thinking, and quite well. We're not missing the question, you're missing the answer. Really, we're trying to be helpful. Asking what people are looking for in a truck is like asking which do you like better; peas or carrots? And just because you mix the two together doesn't mean everyone will be happy. For 25K, you'd better have at least all of the above on your list, including custom paint, custom interior, custom suspension, custom drivetrain, etc., be Barrett-Jackson ready in a condition that other, more popular cars would bring 80K+, OR, it had better be absolutely 100% correct stock. My 2c is you're already into the truck double what it's worth, and you'll add another 20K in parts and materials getting it even close to your target price. Like the others have said, you may want to revisit the bigger plan. That kind of money rarely happens in these vehicles.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:58 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
By the time I got this far into the thread, the others have already said what I was thinking, and quite well. We're not missing the question, you're missing the answer. Really, we're trying to be helpful. Asking what people are looking for in a truck is like asking which do you like better; peas or carrots? And just because you mix the two together doesn't mean everyone will be happy. For 25K, you'd better have at least all of the above on your list, including custom paint, custom interior, custom suspension, custom drivetrain, etc., be Barrett-Jackson ready in a condition that other, more popular cars would bring 80K+, OR, it had better be absolutely 100% correct stock. My 2c is you're already into the truck double what it's worth, and you'll add another 20K in parts and materials getting it even close to your target price. Like the others have said, you may want to revisit the bigger plan. That kind of money rarely happens in these vehicles.
All points well taken... Thanks Mark

Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 AM
wallster
Elder User
When I bought my truck I wanted power steering, front disc brakes, coil suspension (up front), and a durable drive line and electrical system. Those were the basics that make driving the truck a reliable and enjoyable daily driver. Most people on this forum buy these trucks because they love them so they have a hard time relating to buying one just to flip it for a profit. The biggest problem is the time invested in doing all this work. When I built my truck I broke even on the parts and the purchase of the truck if I were to sell it. I didn't add up all my labor but I know that I did all the work for free if I were to sell the truck today.

Good luck!

Wally

Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 PM
mike85120
Junior User
Hello Mark, I have read and reread your post for a couple of days now and have come up with my response.... most of the guys on here are correct. You are going to get this truck at a price point that whoever buys it will want what they want and not have the money but rather are willing to spend the money to make it just that way.
What you are doing is speculating and the odds aren't necessarily in your favor.
With that said, I bought a truck for $25,000 then turned around and dumped much more than that in it to get it the way I wanted it.....only to have wished that I would have started with just a sound truck and gone from there.
My suggestion to you would be to make it solid and pretty....LEAVE ALL MODS TO THE NEW OWNER.
Now for your ratings...
FDB...3 I did this after purchase
4DB...3 I have not done this yet...still trying to decide which gears
PB..... 3 necessary with more power I did this after purchase
RP.......3 necessary on a "luxury vehicle" I did this after purchase
PS......3 see above
AC.....3 again necessary on a "luxury vehicle" I tried to do this with flathead don't think it is possible ended up with new engine
BW...3 done before purchase
Eng....3 I ended up putting in a new Boss 302 355hp
DE.....3 needed with new engine
Ew.... ?? I have them hopefully will never use them
12V....3 absolute necessity
FAN...3 needed with new engine
If you are going to make a $25,000 toy (remember it is a toy), people will expect it to be a luxury vehicle.
I would not advise what you are trying to do, you limit the buyers, you will not have something someone wants and that will kick them out and you will have options that the dont want and that will kick some other buyers.
There is a builder on here that is local to me...does a great job, nice work reasonable prices, he just makes the dependable and pretty.....$5,000 is $5,000....do it the quickest easiest way and you will make money.
If however you want to be able to say I did all this then it is another story.....
Just my 2cents worth...
Mike

Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Our general saying around here is that you will never get out what you put into it. For new folk, we always suggest to spend the most you can or your truck to start. If you have to hire out body work any chance of profit is gone.

I would be real interested in what you finally decide to do. We would also love pictures of your progress. When you get to the point of selling it, I would be interested in knowing how that turns out for you. Nice profit, little profit, break even, lose money. Of course I would understand if you would want to keep that to yourself no matter how it goes.

Also when you get to the sale portion. We would love to know about it, but you have to be careful. Selling is not allowed on the forum, you need to use the classifieds. But if you keep us updated of your build, there are grey areas on posting sale stuff. We love to help people buy these trucks.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
I'll come at this a little different than the others just for a different perspective. I do however agree with what all the guys above said. They gave solid, honest advice as always.
So here is mine.....I have a degree in Architecture so when I needed a place to live in 1998 I had a small amount of money and my own ability to build stuff. I drew me up a 1000 sq ft. home that I built on a lake in my area. I've been doing this for 25 years now so I knew I could do it..never a question. So I had my money figure that I needed to stick to and I started building. When I finished the foundation, framing, roofing, and had the house almost dried in I had spent very little money. The thing that tricked my mind was that I could SEE a house sitting in front of me. My mind told me “Dang, I have only spent $XXX amount so far. I'm going to finish this house for half of what I thought.” Here's the problem with that. Every time I went to the supply house I spent at least $500 or more. Going to pick up some light fixtures...$500. Gotta go grab some more tile and grout....$500. And it was like that till the end. I came in CLOSE to my budget but still went over. However, if I would have gone into the project with the intent of selling it for a certain amount, that figure would have been off. Now I was building it for me so I did spend some that I wouldn't have spent if I were building it to flip. The point is this. I personally look at your truck and I see exactly what I see when I go look at one that I may consider buying. I don't only see the big stuff like engine, tranny, suspension, etc. You have what looks like a solid truck. But I see a million little items that would have to be upgraded, fixed, or replaced for a truck in that price range. I have seen some trucks that look like someone spent $75k on roll across and go for your price range. At $25-$30k it will have to have a $10,000 paint job on it (that's a legit shop painting it correctly). It will have to have a totally complete interior with A/C and all the goodies. With $5500 already in it I think it will be tough. I also don't want to do the list because at that price I'll just put “ALL-3” and say you need to do all of them. Making $5000 off a resale is a very steep amount of profit. Totally not trying to discourage you. These are just my opinions and like is always the case...I could be wrong or off. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I was going to stay out of this, but I can't help it.

I bought my truck for $700. It was running (poorly) and had no brakes, bad wiring, widow maker wheels and a ton of little things to do.

I now have $6,800 in the truck and I'm about half way to where I want to take it. That's keeping it mainly stock.

This is what I started with.

And this is what I had after all that money.

I seriously doubt I could get my money back if I sold it now, and I'm sure any more money I put into it will never be returned if I sell it. I'm starting to believe the less you spend on a truck to flip it, the more profit you will make.

Just my $0.02

Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 PM
49 Merc P/U
Junior User
I do really enjoy the info and friendship that is shared on this site. In the past 6-8 months that I have been here I have learned so much it is really amazing and it has really helped in deciding how I want to build my truck. I appreciate the sharing of info and I hope to be able to share back some of the knowledge that I will learn along the way.
That said, as I sit and read this thread, I have to ask my self why I would want to help someone make a quick buck off of my hobby. I have loved cars and truck all my life and have put family ahead of pursuing my hobby, as all of you have. I am tired of people trying to make a buck off of my experiences and not even offering to share the wealth they want to make. Sorry if I have offend anyone just a general rant.

Bruce

Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 AM
mkassab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 49 Merc P/U
I do really enjoy the info and friendship that is shared on this site. In the past 6-8 months that I have been here I have learned so much it is really amazing and it has really helped in deciding how I want to build my truck. I appreciate the sharing of info and I hope to be able to share back some of the knowledge that I will learn along the way.
That said, as I sit and read this thread, I have to ask my self why I would want to help someone make a quick buck off of my hobby. I have loved cars and truck all my life and have put family ahead of pursuing my hobby, as all of you have. I am tired of people trying to make a buck off of my experiences and not even offering to share the wealth they want to make. Sorry if I have offend anyone just a general rant.

Bruce
Offence not taken... but it's called capitalism. If someone adds value for a product and someone wants that product, some profit is expected. Asking for peoples opinion is not wrong. Just don't offer one if you choose not to... it's a free country.

Quick Reply: 52 F1 Build... Need opinions and poll !!