6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo Blow off valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 AM
maximuse34
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Blow off valve?

Hey guys. I have an 05 Excursion with the 6.0 and 141K on the clock. I was having my boot that comes right off the turbo to the intercooler pipe blow off so I figured it was just worn. I bought some BD diesel boots and replaced them, only to have the same boot blow off again under boost. I know I have tightened it properly but I seem to have a lot of boost that causes my issue especially when towing.

I am curious if maybe my blow off valve is not working properly and that is why it's over pressurizing. Any ideas of what to look for or am I missing something else that I am not paying attention to? Thanks for the help in advance. FYI. I do not have a boost gauge so I am not sure how much it is actually making.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
The 6.0L turbo does not have a blow-off valve. The turbo is controlled with guide vanes on the inlet of the turbine section. Those guide vanes can stick and cause over-boost. You really do need a boost gauge IMO. Over-boost can weaken head bolts.

Also, some boots hold better than others (better material, clamping ridge, etc), and there is a specific way to orient the boots to give them a better chance of staying on. You mentioned tightening them properly - did you torque them (9 ft-lbs)? Also, did you clean all of the oil off of the turbo outlet and the CAC tube before installing the boot?

Old 08-26-2014, 05:43 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
BD wants the springs compressed fully, no torque value.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:04 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not having owned a 2005 Ex this could be wrong but I seem to recall that it does not have a boost gauge or a wrench light. You could have stuck turbo vanes and have an overboost issue causing a problem. Just a thought.

Brian

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jsm180
BD wants the springs compressed fully, no torque value.
They sound heavy duty for sure - designed for 100 psig boost and they are still blowing off! Are you using them?

BD Diesel Performance US Intercooler Hose & Clamp Kit - 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L PowerStroke

Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM
maximuse34
New User
The springs are not fully compressed, that could be one of my issues then with the new boot. I will go buy a boost gauge, any recommendations? Also it looks like I have the one coming off the turbo backwards. I did clean all the oil off by spraying with brake cleaner and then soaking in Simple Green.

I figured it dumped any extra boost into the exhaust somewhere, but if the vanes are sticking, is there anyway to check/fix?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 AM
maximuse34
New User
Yes that is the kit I am using from BD, seems heavy duty and I think I need to tighten more.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
monitoring the boost is one way to get an idea of the turbo performance. A scangaugeII, DashBoss, TorqPro, all can measure MAP (boost). It is a good thing to monitor. Often times you get codes for over/under boost. The fix is to clean it internally. The Tech Folder has it well documented.

Also, I was curious if JSM180 had a set of those same boots since he was familiar w/ the clamps. They look pretty good, but expensive. Just interested in the quality/performance/etc.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If the spring is collapsed fully, what's the purpose of the spring? I'm having the same issue and looking to upgrade my boots. These look pretty good, but if they are blowing off, then no better than stock.

Why soaked in simple green? The brake cleaner would have left no residue behind to make it slippery.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bismic
They sound heavy duty for sure - designed for 100 psig boost and they are still blowing off! Are you using them?

BD Diesel Performance US Intercooler Hose & Clamp Kit - 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L PowerStroke
Yup, been on for over a year. With the old clamps and boots I had to support the hot side pipe because it flopped around too much for my liking. With the BD boots and clamps it's not needed. Very high quality hoses and the clamps are stout, just watch how you orient them as they can hit hood padding if pointed straight up. I honestly don't see how the Riff Raff boots stay on without the internal bead but plenty here love them and they are cheaper.

maximuse, get the simple green cleaned off, it's soap. Be sure the internal bead is in the groove on the pipe and the clamp is over the bead. There is no way these will pop off if they are installed correctly.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Here are the install instructions for the BD hoses. http://www.dieselperformance.com/pro...lamp_Kit_2.pdf

Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
maximuse34
New User
I did the Simple Green since that is what Alligator Performance said to do when I was asking about the OEM one. I did not do these new boots but I did the charge pipe.

I had the one boot backwards so the bead was not on the pipe, fixed that this morning. I also tightened the clamps down so it should be good. They are great quality boots and attribute the blow off after I replaced them to improper installation. i will test it this morning and see what happens and let everyone know.

It is funny to see me in a suit and tie trying to put the boot back on the turbo on the side of the road for sure.

I will buy a scan gauge 2 today, my local auto parts store sells it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clamps have a spring to produce a constant pressure even when the silicone hose compresses a little bit. Over time the hose material will actually ooze out from under the clamp.

Brian

Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
Yup, been on for over a year. With the old clamps and boots I had to support the hot side pipe because it flopped around too much for my liking. With the BD boots and clamps it's not needed. Very high quality hoses and the clamps are stout, just watch how you orient them as they can hit hood padding if pointed straight up. I honestly don't see how the Riff Raff boots stay on without the internal bead but plenty here love them and they are cheaper.

maximuse, get the simple green cleaned off, it's soap. Be sure the internal bead is in the groove on the pipe and the clamp is over the bead. There is no way these will pop off if they are installed correctly.
Because we went way beyond copying the stock design and engineered ours for the application. Plus, we found the a majority of the boots issues came from people not installing correctly and the bead not lining up.

I also wouldn't suggest Simple Green as if it isn't completely washed off it won't allow the boot to adhere. Use carb cleaner to take all the oil residue from the pipes.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Scan Gauge purchase.....go on advanced autos web site and use coupon code trt30 and get $50 off the price. Buy on line and pick it up at the store, puts the price to around $123 out the door for a $159 priced item!

Quick Reply: Turbo Blow off valve?