General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

SHTF & The Urban Jungle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it would do better here were im sandwiched between NY DC, lets put it on offense.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6

If you're really worried about SHTF scenarios
It's not keeping me awake at night......

But I do like to be prepared.

Originally Posted by F350-6

I'm also curious as to what exactly you plan on doing once you make it out to the country? Country folk won't take to kindly to city folk invading their space, and they're armed and have the advantage of playing defense. But if you're serious, I'd suggest you add a 22 to your pack for hunting purposes, cuz you're gonna have to eat unless you go zombie on us.
Like CMK said in the next post......friends and family in the country. HOPEFULLY by the time any of this crap happens, I'll have my own place in the country.

FWIW, this is kind of a 'survive-the-first-few-days' thingee we're jaw-jacking about. It could ALSO apply to longer term, such as how do you keep a bug-out vehicle equiped for maybe several weeks.....

Then re-assess longer-term options.

But you HAVE to survive SHTF for any of the rest to even matter.

I don't know, Chris....you can concoct your own scenario. Maybe you're in Houston or Dallas for business or something....and an EMP goes off......ALL power and vehicles are out-of-service. Would you be able to make your way back to wherever??? Wouldn't take long for the panic to set in (at least in urban areas) if that happened. And an EMP can be man-made OR solar.......

Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BruteFord

These are two completely different situations and why on foot?
That's just one scenario. Foot....car...whatever. But you might certainly FIND yourself on foot (see my EMP example)

Originally Posted by BruteFord

Are we talking like you're caught off guard in the south side of Chicago when they announce there will be no indictment of Darrin Wilson?
Dude! You couldn't melt me down and pour me anywhere near Chicago.....

Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by clux
A rifle like that would be much better put to use by those of us out in the country on the defensive end. I'd hate to see it fall into the wrong hands, you should send it to me for safekeeping. Be very effective against citiots from an upstairs window.

No way!! Although, with Maryland's 'new law', I cannot sell it to anyone IN the state, IF I decided to sell it. It would have to be sold out-of-state.
(We can't buy an M1A, any longer, either!)
Basically, "what you have, you can keep, but, you can't get any more."

This magnificent rifle is capable of (and has!) shot 5-shot groups of 1" at 200 yards, so, it definitely is capable of 'defensive' support!
(And yes, I have photos!)

ETA: Let me park this photo, right here.
Top group is a handload consisting of Sierra 168 gr BTHP and Winchester 748 powder.
Bottom group is a handload consisting of the same bullet, but, with Hodgon H-4895 powder.
All fired at 200 yards, off of sandbags.
The 'circle within the square' is 1".

Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mecdac

Big 10-4 on that.

Here is another "school of thought" the alternative to bug out is bug in. As alluded to here Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - SHTF & The Urban Jungle
Oh. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about 'bugging-in'......

This is more of a 'survive the crap-storm' first........

Hey. Ya know....If I can just dig a deep-enough and comfortable-enough hidey-hole............

Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I just have to add......................

Nice masculine bedspread you're displaying your toys on there.

Just wrap yourself in that, and pretty much everybody will leave you alone in your trek to the country.
Wise-***......

TABLECLOTH! TABLECLOTH!!!

A rifle like that would be much better put to use by those of us out in the country on the defensive end. I'd hate to see it fall into the wrong hands, you should send it to me for safekeeping. Be very effective against citiots from an upstairs window.
Tongue/cheek or not, true. You country boys would have an entirely different set of problems. Long-range firepower would be your FIRST option, I reckon.......Then a shotgun.....then a pistol.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:30 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
I could give 2 ****s if it his bed spread or table cloth, that 92fs is one of the finest guns made. I have a kimber raptor custom shop in 45, I will drop that down a sewer for that 92, the marines to this day carry that gun, a few mods but that gun. Never had a jam never missed what I was aiming at, keep it clean and well oiled that will get the job done period

Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by slimbo13
slimbo:

"Peace through superior Firepower!!!"

Originally Posted by David7.3
I could give 2 ****s if it his bed spread or table cloth, that 92fs is one of the finest guns made. I have a kimber raptor custom shop in 45, I will drop that down a sewer for that 92, the marines to this day carry that gun, a few mods but that gun. Never had a jam never missed what I was aiming at, keep it clean and well oiled that will get the job done period
I've got a Beretta 92FS and while it IS a very nice pistol, compared to my Gold Cup NM, the 92FS takes a back seat, ANY/EVERY day!!!!!

Granted, the slide is so slick on that aluminum alloy receiver, it feels like it's riding on well-lubed, ball bearings.

My 92FS has less than 250 rounds through it, and I got it new, in '89.

No, it's not for sale...... or trade.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by David7.3

I love it.....

Tell you what, though....You stuff 13-rounds of 45acp in the XDM's magazine and you feel like you've got a LOT of heavy lead ready to go downrange. The XDM is a full-size, heavy-lead ***-kicker.......and a fine primary duty weapon....

Wish they'd let us carry the .45...... Some departments let you choose........

Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
Wise-***......

TABLECLOTH! TABLECLOTH!!!

Oh, well that makes it so much more manly.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
slimbo:

"Peace through superior Firepower!!!"

I've got a Beretta 92FS and while it IS a very nice pistol, compared to my Gold Cup NM, the 92FS takes a back seat, ANY/EVERY day!!!!!

Granted, the slide is so slick on that aluminum alloy receiver, it feels like it's riding on well-lubed, ball bearings.

My 92FS has less than 250 rounds through it, and I got it new, in '89.

No, it's not for sale...... or trade.
I was issued the 92 in 1990 and it must have acouple thousand rounds through it, had to change the spring, work the trigger but I love it and yes I sleep right next to it.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i dont care much for the springfield xd's i prefer glocks for the beat to death gun.

how you like this m9/92fs?

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Outstanding!"

Old 08-26-2014, 02:22 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
Tongue/cheek or not, true. You country boys would have an entirely different set of problems. Long-range firepower would be your FIRST option, I reckon.......Then a shotgun.....then a pistol.
I reckon anybody that makes it this far out in the country will be hungry and dehydrated enough that the grill guard on the pickup will be sufficient for most of them.

Besides, since our boys moved out and took their guns there's only 17 or 18 firearms in the house.

Quick Reply: SHTF & The Urban Jungle