6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Smashed #8 Injector

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Scootimus
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smashed #8 Injector

So, I was loaded up and ready to head out on my cross country trip when I get about an hour down the road and the truck starts acting up on me. It started as I was going up a small incline (this is SC, our exit ramps are large inclines) and the truck started to shake pretty violently. I thought I had a tire going down so I let of the throttle and moved to the right lane. With no throttle the shaking stopped but as soon and I put my foot back on the accelerator the shaking stated so I threw it in N and coasted in the emergency lane until I could stop. There were a couple of puffs of white smoke when I touched the accelerator. The engine died while coasting, so I put it in park and tried to turn the engine over. It turned over a few times before bogging down and stopping.

Sooooo we get her towed back to the shop, the next day they hook her up to the computer and it's throwing a code, something about the fuel regulator sensor open (or something to that effect). They tried to crank it and of course nothing happens. It sounds like the engine is hydro locked. They check the oil level and it is above full, when I did this on the side of the road I was not on level ground so I was getting a false reading of just full. They started pulling injectors and they got to #8 and the report is that it is smashed. I'm still waiting for the report after they have a chance to pull the cab and the head but I thought I would ask if anyone has experienced any internal issues with their 6.7 yet? The truck has been a beast for the first 140k miles.

I'll post pics and update progress as I get it. Here is a little background on the truck.

2011 F-250
143K on the clock.
H&S minimaxx installed at 135k
Turbo back exhaust installed at 135k
EGR delete at 135k

Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,017 Likes on 2,200 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issue. Good luck getting it repaired.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I wonder if it was the glow plugs. They are 2 piece on our 2011's. And fail and drop into the cylinder around 100k or so.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Is that on the egr side? Maybe it was hit during your egr delete?

Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did the cylinder fill with fuel?
Did the oil sump fill with coolant? Is your coolant level way down or dry?

I blew a motor, first thing I noticed was an empty degassing bottle and the oil level was waaay high. Like, 8 gallons of coolant went in the crankcase.

But being a fuel issue, maybe the injector stuck open and filled the 8 cylinder full of fuel and sort of hydro locked like that. Smoke could have been a lot of un burnt fuel pushing out into the exhaust.

I guess you'll have to wait for the tear down and have the diesel tech show you all the parts and explain what he found. When my exhaust valve dropped the internals completely broke apart. One of the pistons was in so many small pieces they couldn't actually identify it. There were only 7 pistons left, lol.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
So,the tip of the injector is smashed?

Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Wouldn't the white smoke indicate coolant? I figure any unburnt fuel would be black smoke.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
White smoke comes from a cold cylinder or any thing that can cause Improper ignition. I have experienced white smoke in diesels from just too cold to just too worn out/ Loss of compression. cracked head loss of compression/ water blowing out exhaust or radiator cap.
then there's ones, definition of white v/s blue from oil, black from fuel.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me when I did my EGR delete. Buy your injector from White Bear Lake Ford Parts. It will be much cheaper then what the dealership can do. Also before they change it, you need to take your tuner off the truck or when they reprogram the IQA code your tuner will be rendered useless.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Scootimus
Junior User
For Sale: Come get the one of a kind 2011 6.7L 31 valve edition Power Stroke.

One of the exhaust valves on the #8 cylinder stuck and was met by the piston. This is what shattered the injector and screwed up a few other parts in the engine. This is the cylinder closest the cab of the truck on the driver side.

Unfortunately I'm 2500 miles away so all I'm getting right now are a couple pictures from my mechanic and what he describes. He said he was speaking with one of his Ford contacts (I'm not sure if this is dealer contact or someone else he deals with) and they asked if I saw a lot of Regens in my journeys. I told him that in fact I saw the opposite, I hardly ever saw my truck go into Regen mode. He said that they have seen a number of exhaust valves sticking on the #8 if the truck seems to regen a lot. Not sure how mine fits into this equation.

So the head is going to the machine shop in the morning to see if they can save it. If so, I will most likely be boring the engine and dropping in new pistons and all new valves. At the moment this is the cheap option. Second option is finding a donor motor (used ones in the area are $9k with 70k miles). I'm about ready to see if it can be patched long enough to get it to the dealer and trade it in!

Saving graces are no water in the oil and the couple pieces that made it to the turbo didn't do any damage.

My mechanic says he has seen a few 2011 drop valves and to him it's a "common" issue. I'm not sure I buy that one 100% just yet, but he does do a fare share of work on local work trucks in the area. I drive my truck coast to coast and I'm about to start hauling a 7k lb toy hauler to the mix. I need a dependable and reliable truck. Thankfully this happened an hour outside of town and not somewhere in BFE, USA. I put 200k on my 05 f150 without any issues and the 250 has 143K and needs a new engine. Yeah this freaking sucks but hey, you gotta pay to play right? I'll keep you guys posted and try to answer any questions. Just curious if anyone out there has had the same problem?

I'm going for a beer!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Your next engine should have better luck, as the valve issue was limited to the 2011 engines(although a valve could drop on any engine, technically).

Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Scootimus
Junior User
Yeah I'm not giving up on Ford yet, just chalking it up to **** happens. It could happen to a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan..... whatever.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Oh boy! I would absolutely ask Ford to go in on that. Also dude don't pay 9k for a used motor. White Bear Lake has the whole Motor for around that plus core charge!!!! I tried finding one on the website, but couldn't. Call and ask for Pat brother!!! He will help you out!!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Scootimus
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tofan
Oh boy! I would absolutely ask Ford to go in on that. Also dude don't pay 9k for a used motor. White Bear Lake has the whole Motor for around that plus core charge!!!! I tried finding one on the website, but couldn't. Call and ask for Pat brother!!! He will help you out!!
I will definitely let my mechanic know about White Bear Lake. Thanks!

As for Ford helping, with me Tuning, deleting and gutting the underside I don't think I would even get past the recording asking for English or Spanish when I call corporate.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Scootimus
I will definitely let my mechanic know about White Bear Lake. Thanks!

As for Ford helping, with me Tuning, deleting and gutting the underside I don't think I would even get past the recording asking for English or Spanish when I call corporate.
This is a known problem though!!! It has nothing to do with tuning brother. 2011 trucks are known to have this issue. Yes, make sure he asks for Pat though. The worse they can do is say no. I wouldn't go in with the presumption that because your tuned and deleted that they are automatically going to say no no no. Let us know.

Quick Reply: Smashed #8 Injector